• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Loc Box and the Mossberg SA-20 Tactical Cruiser

IMG_3290.jpg Just joined the Mossberg Owners BB and have a newbie question: I installed the Mossberg Loc-Box today and my SA-20 fits fine and it's nice way to both lock and store the shotgun. My question is that in order for the gun to be secured the bolt action has to be open so the gun hangs on the rubber coated hook (and then the box is locked) how can you keep it loaded with HD shotgun shells so that if the need arises it can be unlocked, removed from the box and a shell chambered and ready for action. Can shells be in the magazine with the bolt opened? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I want the gun ready for action when removed from the box.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I can't answer your question. In fact, I can't even get close. However, I've just got to comment and say that looks like an awesome home defense setup (for a home with children). I'm actually a little jealous. ;) Well done and take care. Tom Worthington

I can't answer your question. In fact, I can't even get close. However, I've just got to comment and say that looks like an awesome home defense setup (for a home with children). I'm actually a little jealous. ;) Well done and take care. Tom Worthington

Thanks Tom. I am really paranoid about firearm safety and especially home firearm safety since I have 3 grandchildren here on weekends (boys are 10 and 8; my grandaughter is 4). I have a Glock 19 locked in a biometric pistol case (mag loaded with 15 rounds and 1 chambered so it's ready); my carry Glock 42 in a four keyed Gun Vault and all my ammunition locked in a large, heavy, protected steel storage safe. I want both guns (Glock 19/Mossie) loaded and ready to use (NOT my carry Glock 42; I load that each time I remove it from Gun Vault and get it ready to carry). Believe me, kids can, and will, find your guns and as a responsible firearm owner one needs to do your best at protecting them. I purchased the Eddie Eagle program materials from the NRA and the boys and I spent over an hour going over it and the danger of guns in children's hands. Their mother also HATES guns and I had to proove to her mine are locked and safe (the new Mossberg Loc-Safe and the SA-20 are actually hidden pretty much from sight by the hanging clothes in the closet but it can be accessed easily by sliding a suitcoat over and unlocking box).

This is why I am asking question about my Mossberg Loc-Box and my Mossberg SA-20 Tactical Cruiser. In a home defense situation one has the adrenaline pumping and small muscle hand, eye and brain coordination will be tough and trying to load 20 gauge shells into the gun would be difficult. The Glock 19 is ready to go (has a Laser Max red laser on it) but I purchased the Mossberg shotgun because I was told it would be easier to hit a target and I would want any advantage I can get in that situation. We have a home alarm system and I would be alerted to any intrusion immediately and while I'm getting the firearms ready in our "safe room" my wife would be calling 911 on her cell and I can tell you I levitated about 4 feet off the bed when the alarm triggers while sleeping one night (happened once where wind blew open an unlocked window). Again, trying to load the 20 gauge shells in the Mossie would be hard because I know I'd be confused and shaking.

Can anybody answer my question? :cool:

PS - The SA-20 only has dummy 20 gauge snap caps at this point. I won't get live ammo until after I take a 10 hour course in Basic Shotgun this May.

Last edited:
I love the lock. I have not found a way to lock the bolt open either. I run into issues in some competitions that want the mag loaded and bolt open. I can only use a chamber flag and ask for mercy.
I would like a switch that allows me to lock it open. I think Benelli or someone has that feature.
Can you leave the bolt closed with an empty chamber or will it not fit?

I love the lock. I have not found a way to lock the bolt open either. I run into issues in some competitions that want the mag loaded and bolt open. I can only use a chamber flag and ask for mercy.
I would like a switch that allows me to lock it open. I think Benelli or someone has that feature.
Can you leave the bolt closed with an empty chamber or will it not fit?

No, you cannot leave the bolt closed. It has to be open because that is where a hook holds the gun.

Back