• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg (or S&W) Model 1000 owners manual

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
These shotguns were imported by Smith and Wesson and later by Mossberg as the Model 1000 and model 1000 Super and were made by Howa in Japan from all the information that I can gather on them.

This particular owners manual was for the Smith and Wesson Model 1000 that had been my late Fathers' and I wanted to scan it and host it at Mossberg Owners forum in case there is anyone that would like to read it or are needing a copy.

The owners manuals are not technically the same because they would be from different importers, but for all intents and purposes, the Mossberg and the S&W 1000 were essentially the same gun so if you own either, this owners manual should serve the purpose to give you a basic idea of the weapon.

The S&W 1000 were first imported in 1973 and they stopped sometime in 1985. I am unsure when Mossberg sold them, but it was without a doubt after S&W stopped.

model 1000a 001.jpg
model 1000b 001.jpg
model 1000c 001.jpg
model 1000d 001.jpg
model 1000 e 001.jpg
model 1000f 001.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I have an S&W 1000M (3" Magnum), which differs in that it has a steel receiver. Very nice hunter's gun.

These are great shotguns, and can be found fairly cheap. I have a S&W that I picked up for $150 several years ago. That receiver engraving is pretty nice.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this. I have an S&W 1000M (3" Magnum), which differs in that it has a steel receiver. Very nice hunter's gun.
Does your 1000M 3" magnum cycle lower powered shells such as Remington Nitro 7.5 shot 2 & 3/4" rated at 1300 fps? If it does, what kind of barrel does it have? Mine has a 28" modified barrel with a single gas port and I can't get it to cycle anything but magnum shell. It is clean and the piston shock asorber has been replaced and the pressure compensator is functioning. Do you know if the skeet barrel has two gas ports?

Thanks for posting the manual. I now have a copy I put together with my gun. I have the 1000M chambered for 3" shells. It will shoot #4 buckshot very well through the 28" modified barrel. Mine won't cycle anything but magnum shells.

Does your 1000M 3" magnum cycle lower powered shells such as Remington Nitro 7.5 shot 2 & 3/4" rated at 1300 fps? If it does, what kind of barrel does it have? Mine has a 28" modified barrel with a single gas port and I can't get it to cycle anything but magnum shell. It is clean and the piston shock asorber has been replaced and the pressure compensator is functioning. Do you know if the skeet barrel has two gas ports?

Von, this shotgun is only designed to function with 3" Magnum ammunition. The skeet barrel with two ports will operate the action with lower powered shells. The magnum barrel only has one port. A popular modification back in the day was to drill an additional port in the Magnum barrel and drill and tap the extra port for a headless plug screw. You could use the barrel with both ports for lower powered shells, or plug the extra port when you want to use the 3" Magnum capability. I have not done this to mine. I intended to do so, but never got around to it, but it is on my long term "to do" list. Talk with your local gunsmith about the conversion, and pattern your barrel. It might save you buying an extra barrel. IMHO, the choke constriction in these barrels is not as tight as most guns. My barrel is a 30" full choke, but it patterns like an Improved Modified, which is perfect for my use. If you do it, let me know how it works out.

Sawfish

Von, this shotgun is only designed to function with 3" Magnum ammunition. The skeet barrel with two ports will operate the action with lower powered shells. The magnum barrel only has one port. A popular modification back in the day was to drill an additional port in the Magnum barrel and drill and tap the extra port for a headless plug screw. You could use the barrel with both ports for lower powered shells, or plug the extra port when you want to use the 3" Magnum capability. I have not done this to mine. I intended to do so, but never got around to it, but it is on my long term "to do" list. Talk with your local gunsmith about the conversion, and pattern your barrel. It might save you buying an extra barrel. IMHO, the choke constriction in these barrels is not as tight as most guns. My barrel is a 30" full choke, but it patterns like an Improved Modified, which is perfect for my use. If you do it, let me know how it works out.

Sawfish
I know a guy that might be able to tackle that mod. Do you have any other specifics about how it is done? This guy does a lot of custom work and builds so he would probably know, but any additional specs would be helpful

Very simple process. Drill another hole to match the existing port, and tap that hole for a plug screw. Don't know what else to add. I bought my 1000M new in 1977, and it has served me well for many years. The Magnum models are rugged well made shotguns. I have bought many guns since then but never felt the need for another shotgun. I won a Beretta AL shotgun a few years ago, but have never taken it out of the box.

Back