• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Patriot 30-06 Ammo Preference

Hey guys had my Mossberg Patriot 30-06 about 8 months now. Love it. Been shooting Remington Core Lock 180 grains. I live in Black Bear country and have livestock & dogs, so wanted something that would hit hard. That's why I opted to go 180 grain. Was wonder what my fellow Patriot fans are using, and their success.
c8b2be1f92f2b76faab35a29fd631657.jpg
1d58d6e557fbed606e59abc64e157a32.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

180 grains of 30.06 Springfield is just the medicine for Black Bear...

Did you drop him yet...?!

No the year is off it was this year, but the month & date are correct. If you look up on the coop there are two roosters he took one and never came back. If he does he will have to work harder for his next chicken dinner, and Mr. 06 is waiting.

a7722ed2de5fe77d6a221c003a48620e.jpg

Last edited:
I can't imagine having something like a bear in my back yard. What do you carry with you if you have to go outside at night ?

Outside at night!? What do you think I'm suicidal!? That's what my 11yr old daughters for. Seriously though it depends. The Bears dont bother me for my personal safety. Barely bother me on my dogs safety. They arent that aggressive againist things that may be able to put up a fight unless they have to. Lots of easier targets. That night my dogs smelled him and chased him with me into the woods. I shined him saw his eyes and wasnt sure what it was. Could have been a neighbors dog. So once I was at the end of my property in the woods I popped a couple of 40 S&Ws (Only had a M&P handgun on me) into a tree in hopes whatever it was would stay a way a while. Didn't know it was a Bear again or that I was missing a chicken until I checked the trail cam. Bobcats & Fishercats seem more aggressive. Coyotes are a viable fear here as they seem to be running in packs. Once in a pack anything is game. Also a girl working the local feed store says she thinks Mountian Lions are back. After I showed my vast knowledge by informing her that a recorded Cougar sighten hasnt happened since like 1890 in NH. She responded with "Then you tell me what else leaves a carcass of a 200lb deer on a tree." [emoji33] Still stumped on that. Sqasquach maybe? [emoji16]

To answer your question depends on the weather and mood.

Pitch black- Mossberg 500 w/ 00 Buck
Somelight- Mossberg Patriot 30-06
Rain- M&P40c Handgun.

Usually less about personal protection and more livestock or pet rescue.

02232dcd781eee7f9fe3ce73d49cb207.jpg

Quite an array of critters. We have most of those in east central Oklahoma in the mountains that border Arkansas, plus feral hogs that are a nuisance to farmers. What is a Fishercat, never heard that term before.

f79a0f6d54e3bed784dec5322d703cbb.jpg

I believe they are a member of the weasel family. But super tough and visicious. Simular to a wolverine I guess.

Back