• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Shockwave 12 gauge issue.

drthv8r

.22LR
Hello guys I just purchased a brand new Shockwave, and out of the box I'm already having issues with it. For the life of me I can't get the shotgun shells past the Cartridge Stop when trying to load the shotgun, the brass lip on the shotgun shells hangs up on the cartridge stop keeping me from loading the magazine. I've tried forcing the shotgun shell in so hard the few times the shotgun shell made it past the cartridge stop I sliced the side of my thumb open on the bottom of the receiver. I'm using WW AA low brass shotgun shells, I even tried using the Aguila mini shells with the rubber adapter and those hang up on the cartridge stop too. I have the shotgun ready to send back to Mossberg, I was just wondering if anybody else had this issue. To say the least I'm not a happy camper having to send a brand new shotgun back to the manufacture for repairs.

Had a somewhat simular issue (difficult to initially load and shell pickup when cycling action) when first bought my first shockwave. I called and discussed the issues with Mossberg. They indicated they were having some parts fitting issues and sent me a new parts kit, at no cost, which I installed and it fixed both problems.

Kit included:

M500AC Cartridge Stop, item #101694BL,
Cartridge Interrupter ASM, item # 7607BL, and
Elevator ASM, item #1765HP

Note: The elevator was highly polished including the "arms" which contact the stop and interrupter. Install took about 10 minutes and as I indicated above all the issues were resolved.

I'd recommend you try this before returning the weapon. Hope this helps.

Regards

Thank you for the reply, I'm in the process of sending the shotgun back. I forgot to mention that a shell had gotten stuck in ejection process (I had to use a screwdriver to remove the shotgun shell) and pretty much rendered the shotgun useless, something I'm not about to risk my life with.

Hope you will take the time to share what Mossberg found the problem to be and how they corrected the issues. This type of feedback is very useful to our shockwave community. Best of luck.

Regards

Thanks Ernst my Shockwave was sent back it should be delivered to Mossberg later today. Lord only knows how long that they'll keep my brand new shotgun. I swear I wish I had purchased a Remington now, at least the Remington most likely would have worked right out of the box. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks Ernst my Shockwave was sent back it should be delivered to Mossberg later today. Lord only knows how long that they'll keep my brand new shotgun. I swear I wish I had purchased a Remington now, at least the Remington most likely would have worked right out of the box. I'll keep you guys posted.
I remember my last S&W airweight I bought. I had to strip it down because it had aluminium shaving inside. Remington is not what they use to be either. Have a friend that bought one of those expensive Kimber guns and he has had nothing but issues with it :(

My first Mossberg 500a I bought back around 2005 was smoother and a joy to have until it got exposed to moisture and rusted up quickly (over night camping trip) since then I've been very diligent with my lube/oil application and haven't looked back. Now getting back on point to this post. This 590 Shockwave is the roughest I've ever owned for sure. Also I've noticed scratches and rub marks on points of friction on this gun that I've seen on others just more pronounced. From 2005 to know I've owned a total of 4 Mossbergs (500a, 500c, 590A1 Vang Comp, 590 Shockwave) each one I got was more gritty than the last but I've had 100% reliability to date. I wish you the best of luck and I hope quality improves moving forward.

I swear I wish I had purchased a Remington now, at least the Remington most likely would have worked right out of the box.

You obviously haven't been paying attention.

Lots of folks upset with Remingtons QC since they were bought out by Cerberus capital several years ago. Go to any remington firearm chat room and look around if you would rather hear it from other remington owners.

Which may explain why they filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy a couple weeks ago since their investors have bled them dry while draining every last penny they could get from them and not giving two hoots about making a good gun anymore.

You obviously haven't been paying attention.

Lots of folks upset with Remingtons QC since they were bought out by Cerberus capital several years ago. Go to any remington firearm chat room and look around if you would rather hear it from other remington owners.

Which may explain why they filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy a couple weeks ago since their investors have bled them dry while draining every last penny they could get from them and not giving two hoots about making a good gun anymore.
Sadly that's why I've switched from 700's to Tikka's.

My first Mossberg 500a I bought back around 2005 was smoother and a joy to have until it got exposed to moisture and rusted up quickly (over night camping trip) since then I've been very diligent with my lube/oil application and haven't looked back. Now getting back on point to this post. This 590 Shockwave is the roughest I've ever owned for sure. Also I've noticed scratches and rub marks on points of friction on this gun that I've seen on others just more pronounced. From 2005 to know I've owned a total of 4 Mossbergs (500a, 500c, 590A1 Vang Comp, 590 Shockwave) each one I got was more gritty than the last but I've had 100% reliability to date. I wish you the best of luck and I hope quality improves moving forward.
I've got a 90s Mossberg 500a and it IS a hell of a lot smoother than my newer Shockwave BUT the Shockwave works flawlessly and is slowly smoothing out

My Shockwave was just delivered back to me from being serviced at the factory. Mossberg replaced the cartridge stop and test fired my Shockwave with 6 shots, 3 2-3/4" shells and 3 3" shells, cleaned it and sent it back to me. There's no way in Hell my Shockwave could have passed QC before it left the factory with the cartridge stop being that defective. John A I have been paying attention I know Remington has gone downhill since being bought out by The Freedom Group.

My Shockwave was just delivered back to me from being serviced at the factory. Mossberg replaced the cartridge stop and test fired my Shockwave with 6 shots, 3 2-3/4" shells and 3 3" shells, cleaned it and sent it back to me. There's no way in Hell my Shockwave could have passed QC before it left the factory with the cartridge stop being that defective. John A I have been paying attention I know Remington has gone downhill since being bought out by The Freedom Group.

Glad to hear it's fixed and you got a very quick turnaround from Mossberg. As I mentioned in post #2 above there was an earlier fitment issue between the elevator and the cartridge stop. The kit that Mossberg sent me solved the issue completely and I've had no other problems since. Once you've run a couple of hundred rounds through it the action will become even smoother.

And thanks for letting us know what happened.

Regards

I would study the many YouTube videos available by guys that know their stuff. You should learn to do some minor gun repair. It's really not rocket science at all. It is also possible that the cartridge stop could have got bent when you first test fired the gun. I've read where this has happened. Glad they took good care of you

Me too actually. Too many mim parts and cut corners in the new ones for my taste.

Only 870 that I have these days was made in 1989. It's certainly been a good one.

Still hard for either of them to really compare to my old 1300s though. They're smooth as butter. It's no wonder they were called speed pumps back in the day. You can hold the gun up and press the slide release and it almost falls all the way open under its' own weight. It's just a really good shooting pump.

Not defending any gun manufacturer (I'm mostly brand agnostic) but all guns run better after a break-in period. I have a Sig Sauer I despised when new. Today, it's the smoothest running gun I own. It's been shot a few thousand times and that's the difference. I also have an old, old, old, Mossberg 18.5" gun that is exponentially smoother than my new Shockwave. The old gun has obviously been shot a lot. Before I had it gone through by a gunsmith, it looked like a bomb had been dropped on it. It's since been repainted, cleaned and lubed. It's so smooth, I would consider it a perfect running Mossberg. It just takes time sometimes. Maybe that's part of your problems?? I don't know but something to consider.

Back