1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

Mossberg Silver Reserve firing pins

Discussion in 'Mossberg Owners Site Support' started by Captrap, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Captrap

Captrap .22LR

I have a Mossberg silver reserve O/U made in Turkey... Not the II ... Question is should I change the firing pins and if you say yes ... what and where do I get the pin's from?
    Thank you in advance
  2. Jmm14534

Jmm14534 .270 WIN Supporter

Captrap,

I have the Onyx Reserve Sporting model. Basically the same gun as yours. I wait until they break and then send the gun back to Mossberg. They fix it.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Captrap likes this.
  3. Captrap

Captrap .22LR

Will they send me the firing pins?
  4. Jmm14534

I don't know. Phone up Mossy customer service and ask. If your willing to put in the labor they may send you the pins.

My shotgun was gone 6 weeks for the repair.
  5. Captrap

Captrap .22LR

so far the work I had done on the gun has proved to be successful ... no trigger problem or pins... Hopefully ??? fixed
  6. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

Do firing pins typically break in O/U shotguns?
  7. Jmm14534

I don't think so. The Mossy O/U from Turkey have a weak link that makes the firing pins only good for so many shots. You get what you pay for. Other than the firing pins my Oynx Reserve is a great gun.
  8. Captrap

Captrap .22LR

9. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

Wait. What? Weak link?
  10. Jmm14534

The internal trigger/safety/firing mechanism on the O/U has failed twice in 12 years. Mossberg takes care of it but they don't seem to fix the root cause they just replace the parts. I've not taken it apart myself so I'm not sure exactly where the problem lies.

The shot gun is gone 6 weeks and it comes back and works. The problem with the 6 weeks is that both times I've purchased another Mossberg to fill the gaps!!!

This was my latest "fill the gap" purchase.

500 Flex.png
  11. Captrap

Captrap .22LR

Well enough time has passed and I have put 500 plus rounds thru the gun and it breaks clays just fine... I did buy the firing pins just in case and hope I never have to put them in... I bought the extended skeet chokes and going skeet shooting this week... with any luck I might break a few... LOL
    Jmm14534 likes this.