• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U Firing Pin Issue

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Any Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U will have an issue with the firing pin breaking if it has: 12ga with the serial number is TR12046393 or below, 20ga with the serial number TR20015092 or below, or 28ga
TR28005777 or below, or .410 bore with the serial number TR410006194 or below...

I just purchased a new silver reserve 12 ga that falls in the range you listed for firing pin issues. I guess thats why the dealer still had it on his shelf. So far I'm quite happy with the way it shoots and handles, but I've only put about 200 shells through it. I was told that Mossberg would replace the firing pins at no charge. Should I send it in right away or can I use it until I have problems with the pins? Is firing pin failure a certainty? If I do get the pins replaced, is that the only issue these guns had or should I look at getting a different O/U/? Like I said overall I'm happy with the gun, but I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance. Thanks for any input I can get.

I wouldn't say that anything is certain.

Personally, I would run it until you have an issue. Who knows, you might get lucky and not have any issues at all...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I wouldn't say that anything is certain.

Personally, I would run it until you have an issue. Who knows, you might get lucky and not have any issues at all...

I would agree unless there is an actual recall on the item in question. If OFM is saying that guns in the range should be fixed it might be worth looking onto.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll finish out the league for this season (approx 1 more month), and then send it in. Were there any other problems with these guns? From what I'm hearing once I get the firing pins replaced I should be good to go. Thanks again.

Well, I guess my decision was made over the weekend. My Silver Reserve starting misfiring on the top barrel. The trigger would go slack. and then randomly fire, and the then safety button flew off never to be seen again! I contacted Mossberg, and they said they would send me a shipping label. Hopefully everything goes well.

Well...I contacted Mossberg on 4/29/13. They did send me a shipping label and I shipped it out right away. To make a long story short, after numerous emails, I finally got my gun back on 6/27/13. On my first trip to the sporting clay range it failed to fire after the first eight stations, and continued to do so five more times. Although they did repair the safety button it appears nothing else was fixed. in addition they managed to put several nicks in the forearm and stock. They also did something to the barrel to receiver clearance. When I sent it in everything was nice and tight. Now you can actually feel some play when the gun is closed. All in all I'm not real happy. I just shipped it back out yesterday after waiting two weeks for another call tag. Is this normal for Mossberg service? At this point I hope they just replace the gun as I don't know what they can do about the nicks & barrel to receiver clearance. Does anyone have any contacts at Mossberg that I can call? So far I've owned the gun for four months and only been able to use it for less than one. I have the sinking feeling that when I get it back I'm only going to have more problems. If anyone has any suggestions about what to do next I'd appreciate it.

Who have you talked with at Mossberg so far? I apologize for all the issues you have been having but I promise they will make it right eventually. Keep us updated and I will give them a call as well.

Well, even though they're slow,Mossberg did finally come through. I just received a replacement gun yesterday. It's a Silver Reserve II. Overall it looks like a pretty decent gun. I was just wondering if the SRII was more reliable than the original. I was led to believe the SRII was made by a different vendor in Turkey. Is this true? Will this model hold up better for sporting clays or should I consider buying a different gun for clays? I anticipate shooting about 2600 rds per year. Any input would be appreciated.

I know that this is an old thread, but maybe someone will see it and give me some clarity or advice. I just bought a Silver Reserve 20ga. And I'm very glad to have it. I have not fired yet. But its serial number goes like this: TR200117**

To me, it looks like that falls into the range specified earlier in this thread as possibly needing attention. I called Mossberg today, and the guy on the line was very polite and patient. But he said that there are no potential problems I need to worry about. I gave him my serial number, and he sounded like he was looking it up. He said that it was made in 2005, and that there was nothing to worry about. I'm happy to trust him. But what I've read here makes me think that there must be something more to the story.

Any hints?

Many thanks

--C

I took Mossberg's word the trigger/firing pin issues were handled and bought a Silver Reserve II. It has about 4500 rounds through it since July with no issues so far

Back