• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 715T- Optics

pathfinder2

Copper BB
Frustrated over optic mounting....

I recently purchased my first Mossberg (the Tactical .22 flat-top)

While I do plan on shooting it a bit iron sights for the nostalgia of it, I happened to have an EOTech sitting in my safe right now and figured, well why not see how it feels......

So I tried mounting it up.....and then looked at the sight, and noticed it seemed ......well, crooked...

So I took it off, and once more tried to mount it flush........hmmm still off.

After trying over and over about 15 times, I could not for the life of me mount it properly flush. However on the front rail (the handguard rails) it mounted just fine..... so I tried holding the rifle down towards the ground and looked at the rail from "charging handle" to barrel, and it almost looks like my upper receiver rails are just slightly....well, "warped" to one side, they aren't exactly level or flat.

Is this a common issue? It might be small enough that maybe only my EOTech is going to throw fits, I lent my father an old 4x scope last week and plan on picking it up from his house tomorrow to see if it will mount, but I'm starting to get a bit concerned.

At any rate, seems like its a nice little rifle, pretty interested to see how it performs.

ps, Hello Mossberg Owners :p

Re: Frustrated over optic mounting....

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm not familiar with this particular firearm but that does not sound normal to me. Hopefully someone with more experience with this will chime in but I think you may need to call Mossberg on this one.

Mine is off too. I removed the sights and was able to mount a scope on the receiver. The hand guards and front sight are separate from the receiver. There is play between them.

Got photos - having trouble picturing the setup.

Welcome from StL BTW!

I will try to take some photos tonight and have them up for yall by morning.....

Catch up.......

As you know the Tac .22 is a plastic AR "Shell" around the actual 22 receiver and barrel, well tonight I ripped the shell apart because I realized why my optics weren't fitting on the rails properly..

There was about 1-2mm of gaping between the shells at the top of the rail (where the AR Upper Receiver would be) , my EOTech wouldnt fit because of its mounting system, but my old 4x DID fit because it had a LARGE open position before you tighten the scope down to a rail, so it was able to fit over the abnormally wide picitanny rail because of this, where my EOTech would not....

My fix for mounting the EOtech was to take a gerber multi-tool and squeeze the top rail together with the pliers and then put the EOtech on and tighten it to the rail, which would pinch the rail together....

Also, I remember on another thread in here, someone was asking if the barrel on the Tac .22 was threaded............it is, and its righty tighty/lefty loosey.

I also took the Tac .22 out to shoot today with the EOTech and magnifier, god what a damn nice shooting gun, I dont know when my real AR's are going to ever come out of the safe now!!!!

Pics to come! Doing a paint job tonight.

Heres some pics of my Tactical .22 - Love the gun, the only thing I dislike is the damn magazine and its capacity.

Resampled_2012-08-16_23-37-11_909.jpg

Resampled_2012-08-16_23-36-54_111.jpg

New to the forums

Hey all I'm new here this is my first post. I picked up a mossberg 715t on Saturday, its the one that came without sites or a carry handle. Got a good deal on it. Paid $275 for it. I've added a tapco fore grip with a bi-pod so far. I'm now looking for a good scope. Nothing expensive but not crappy either. I have a ruger 10/22 with a tasco scope on it and its pretty good. Its just a 4x32. I was thinking about this scope. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

Link: http://www.tasco.com/products/index.cfm ... 753D0D382C

Re: New to the forums

Welcome from MI!!

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new 715t!

The Tasco you linked looks like a nice optic. The only thing that would bother me is having a scope on sit'n on top of an AR style rifle that's over a foot long. There are plenty of compact scopes out there with the same magnification range. That's just a personal preference though...

No problem,

There are a ton of relatively inexpensive options out there for rimfire rifles. Here's a link to the type of compact scope I'm referring to...

http://m.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-compac ... 2628b.html

I'm at the office now, but I can post up a few other options later this evening. In the meantime, search the web for "compact rifle scope". You should see plenty of options and a range of prices to choose from. Including "rimfire" in your search should help keep the price range relatively low...

I'll take a look at them. Any scope that you have used in particular? I posted on the forum to see what other people are using. I like a lot of the scopes I see online but wanted to see what people on the forum are using.

I've had a Leapers UTG 4x32 Compact Mini CQB 3-9x32 Scope for several years and it's done really well for me. It's a bit on the expensive side compared to many rimfire scopes, but I bought it for use it on my larger bore rifles. Picked it up from the folks below. The model number I have (item# SCP-432ML1W) is listed about half way down the page...

The Country Shed: Compact Rifle Scopes: Fixed and Variable

I'm sure there are others here who will be along to share what they use on their rifles as well...

Good deal,

I think we've got three or four NcStar scopes on our rifles and they've done well for us...

Yea I got a good one. I used someones else at the range and it was nice. I got a 3-9x 42 with red and green illumination for 99.

Well , heyhowdy Mossberg715T ! ;)
I had to get a 3/4" riser for my 715T FT .
Be it a scope or red dot , they sat too low and there was no way I could dial them in.
The rail riser did the trick ....about 20$ off Ebay .
For that 50yd plus shooting I'll use an old-timer Lyman Permacenter 3x scope but I also have a reflex sight on a cantilever mount for close range blastin'

mounting red dot to Handle rail

I won a 715T in a gun raffle. I thought I won the flat top. I bought a tasco red dot scope for it. When I picked up the rifle it had the handle. If I put the red dot on the handle rail, no matter how low I adjust the red dot, it is way over the sites. Is there a way to adjust this, or something you can buy to raise the back of the scope?

Re: mounting red dot to Handle rail

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, congratulations on winning a rifle!

As to your question, the A2 fixed carry handle will not allow a red dot optic to co-witness to the front sight nor is it really necessary that it does. If you chose to mount a red dot sight it will sit so high that you'll find it requires completely forgetting about your iron sights.

With a red dot installed it requires a very difficult cheek weld adjustment to properly center your dominant eye with the optic. Your chin will replace your cheek on the buttstock and it's very hard to maintain repeatability.

If it were me I would use the irons and get good with them. Since the RDS isn't magnifying you really aren't losing any accuracy on a plinking/short(er) range gun such as a twenty-two.

Back