• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 715T- Optics

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Dunno what magnification you're lookin for, but I love the little Simmons 22 MAG 3-9x32 I mounted on my Remy 597...

It's a damn good little scope for under $50...

Simmons 22 MAG 3-9X32 Rimfire

I've been looking for a reasonably priced scope for my flattop and this one looks great for the price! As I was looking around I saw a similar Simmons scope with AO. Is the AO worth the extra dough?

The adjustable objective does help with a degree of parallax correction, but it's not necessary. My Simmons is crystal clear out to 100yd and puts up consistent goups like the one above without the AO...

That's exactly the info I needed. Thank you for the recommendation and help L.E.S.! Making my order today!

Hey All,
Have the carry handle version and mounted an NcStar 2-6 power. With the elevation maxed out I'm still striking the target 5" low at 50yds. Any suggestions? Is it possible to raise the rear of scope? Seems like somebody already asked this question in a previous post but I didn't see an answer. Thanks in advance.
NCStar.jpg

Can you run a shim between the carry handle and the rear of the picatinny rail?

Shouldn't take much to raise the mount enough to get your POA/POI back in line...

yes, I was working on trying to come up with a couple different sized shims I could put under the rail. I agree that it shouldn't take much but it'll be trial and error. Wish I'd bought a flattop. I have a S & W 15-22 and wanted to set up the Moss for long range and the 15-22 for more close-up tactical. Guess this is all part of the "fun."

I installed a Leapers red dot on my carry handle and had the same problem as you...about 8" at 50m.
I shimmed it with a 1/4" square of 'pop can' aluminum...and it was just the right amount.
Perfectly zeroed at 50m and enough adjustment left to adjust out to 100m.

Nice!

I'm a big fan of the home made solution whenever possible. Thanks for posting your fix and the results...

So I saw somebody mention a BSA red dot. On my 715T I have a handle. My question is, will the BSA "30mm Red Dot Scope with 5 MOA" work well?

Optics/Grip Shopping for 715T Flat Top

The accessories I know I want are a bipod/fore-grip, illuminated scope, and a green laser. I might consider adding a flashlight and dot sight as well.

I also plan to go as inexpensive as possible since this is not a gun that will be taking abuse... it will be for target plinking only... but on the other hand, I like nice stuff. So it's a tradeoff.

I think I want a zoom-able scope since it will probably cause me to remove the sights, so it needs to zoom out enough to use for close range too.

Without further ado, here are some links to stuff I like:

This thing has it all, but possibly a bit too busy and expensive: 3-9X40 R&G Mil-Dot Optics Sniper Rifle Scope /QD Green Laser /501B Torch/223

This is my favorite scope so far: UTG 30mm SWAT 3-12X44 Compact IE Scope with AO Mil-dot, 36 Colors EZ-TAP

This is my favorite laser so far (20mW should be really bright, and it looks cool): 20mW Aggressivity Green Laser Rifle Scope with Gun Mount

This is my favore bipod/grip combo so far: FAB Front Fore Grip with Retractable Spring Bipod Stand 21-MM Rifle

I have, however saved links to a lot of other stuff I like...

This is a neat and compact laser/flashlight combo: Tactical M6 BK CREE LED Flashlight&Green Laser Sight Combo W/Picatinny Rail

Another neat scope/green laser/flashlight combo: NcStar Total Targeting 3-9x42 Mark III Tac P4 Sniper Ret Green Laser Flashlight

Good price for a scope/green laser: AIM Sports JDNG251040G 2.5-10X40 DUAL ILLUMINATED SCOPE W/GREEN LASER

I like that this zoom goes all the way down to 1.5: Aim Sports 1.5-5X32 Dual III. Scope with Green Laser (Short)

That's enough for now... Any thoughts? Anything I should be thinking about I'm not? Please share any stuff you have/want. :)

Survivorman93 said:
I was wondering if anybody knew any good scopes for a flattop 715. Also not costing a arm and a leg?

I think before you get any serious replies, you should post a little more about what you want... as there are so many different kinds of scopes.

Some advice I saw earlier in this thread was that you don't really need much zoom for a 22 that is not all that long range... but then someone else immediately said they like having a zoom so they can go wide to acquire, and then zoom in. So I guess they prefer long-range shooting. Me, I just want to be as versatile as possible. I'd like to be able to shoot at targets from really close to as far as the gun is accurate. So I also feel I would like a zoom, but one that starts off at very low magnification. I also plan to get a laser which would be good if shooting something too close for any scope. I also would like a non-magnifying dot sight (just as a fun alternative) but getting all that on one gun can be a problem... but I did post some possibilities for that on the thread I started.

Re: Optics/Grip Shopping for 715T Flat Top

It's hard to stop shopping... LOL

I like the features on the Leapers / AccuShot / UTC scopes. Not sure what to call their brand. :?:

This is probably the most practical since it goes down to 1.5X (1.5 to 6X):
ACCUSHOT® SCP3-U156IEW. MSRP is $104.97, and it's on Amazon for $99.97.

But that brings me back to this one, which is 3X to 10X:
ACCUSHOT® SCP3-UM312AOIEW. MSRP is $$139.97, and it's on Amazon for $109.97. (BTW, there is a video review of this one on Amazon)

I'm a sucker for good deals, so it's hard to pay $100 for a $105 scope when I can pay $110 for a $140 scope. But I wonder if 3X is too much for short range. Can anyone comment that currently has 3X or more on the low end... is that low enough, or do you wish it was lower?

I finally picked a scope... I figured I would share my process with you all in case anyone else might benefit from my research:

I learned that the effective range of a 22LR is about 150 yards. A friend of mine at work was telling me that with his higher powered rifle, he can hit a tin can at 250 yards with 6X zoom. I also found a great How to Choose a Riflescope article.

So based on all that info, I decided 1.5X to 6X was better than 3X to 12X. I also learned that an etched glass reticle is more durable than a wire one, and the etched version of the scope I liked was only $8 more street price (Even though the retail is $45 more), so that seemed like a no brainer.

So I got the SCP3-UG156IEW, here: http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg ... scope.html

It should look something like this on the 715T Flat Top:

Attachments

• SCP3_UG156IEW_APP_1.gif
    SCP3_UG156IEW_APP_1.gif
    46 KB · Views: 663
Can anyone suggest a nice set of iron sights or Ghost ring sights for the 715t International flat top? For whatever reason my gun came with no sights. I was thinking about a nice cheap red dot, but have yet to find one less then $60.

I'm so going to put on a fore grip with drop out bi-pod. I saw a bunch of nice stuff at the local gun show that frequents the area. Going to go back mid march an get some stuff.

snagglepuss said:
Mega...you're selling the .22LR short.
I regularly compete in 300yd .22LR competitions (gotta admit, wouldn't try it with my 715).
But my Savage (Boyds stock, 6-20X Tactical scope, Harris bi-pod) can hit an 8"plate at 300yds consistently on a day with no wind.
http://forum.snipershide.com/showthread.php?t=176625
That is really cool. I was just going by what I found on Wikipedia: ".22 LR is effective to 150 yards (140 m), though practical range tends to be less. After 150 yards the ballistics of the round are such that it will be difficult to compensate for the large "drop". "

But anyway, I don't envision myself shooting that far... so the anecdote from my friend about hitting tin cans at 250 yards with 6X zoom is what convinced me that was enough.

I do appreciate all the input I have received from various members here. Thanks everyone.

I'll post again once I have all my stuff... it will be a while as some of it is shipping from China.

Back