• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader Reviews...

I am glad you are enjoying your Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader; thanks for sharing your thoughts and keep us updated.

Totally happy with mine.
Purchased the carry handle version (with adjustable stock) about a month ago.
Went with the carry handle, against the advice of many who feel it's easier to mount an optic on the flat-top. But I have a tricked out Savage .22WMR with a Nikon 4-12 for precision work...I wanted the Mossberg to practice with irons.
The first outing was somewhat of a failure that left me wondering if I shouldn't have paid the extra for the Umarex Colt or the S&W...maybe I was getting what I paid for.
It was misfeeding every 2nd shot. Failure to feed, stovepipes, rounds stuck in the breech...you name it and my gun did it.
Did a lot of reading the following day and it seemed that many of the problems could be caused by a faulty mag, which seems to be a bit of a nightmare for Mossberg.
Picked up a new mag and headed out to the range.
150 rounds without a single hiccup.
Took the original mag back and had it replaced...so I now have two.
At the range yesterday went through a brick (400) using both mags and had 1 FTF...a minor one where the bolt just failed to pick up a round. Racked the bolt and it fed with no problem.
I'd now consider it to be completely reliable and as accurate as can be expected. 4" groups offhand at 50m are not problem at all.
Glad I didn't spend the $700 on the Colt.

First trip to the range with my 715; highs, lows, and jams

New Mossberg owner reporting my first range trip. I have the one with the carry handle. Went through around 200 rounds of Remington Golden. I don't know the exact number because it was a loose box of 525 and we didn't pay too much attention to how many mags we went through.
I cleaned it with RemOil and lubed it with Eno's slide glide. I also loaded the mags and left them loaded for about a week before the trip yesterday.

It jammed about once every 50 rounds. More of the jams came while using the 10 round magazine than the 25. I only bought the 10 rounder because I thought it would be more reliable, but that is not the case. It seemed that the main problem was failure to eject properly. It crushed a couple of empties while they were on their way out of the chamber and a couple times it ended up jamming with 2 rounds in there; one empty, one new.

Groups were great, sights were way low. It was consistently about 6 inches low at 30 feet and a bit left. The up/down adjustment was stuck at first, but with some very hard twisting I got it moving up and down, but that was towards the end of the session. I was happy enough with the consistency so I am not sweating the accuracy much.

Unrelated, but I wish the fake crap had been left off. The fake charge handle and what not just cheapen the look imho.

My Walther PPQ performed flawlessly and I recommend any of you guys who are into polymer pistols try one out, truly a gem.

Re: First trip to the range with my 702; highs, lows, and ja

Congrats on your first trip out with it. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I definitely need to pick one of these guns up someday.

Per my experience, Rem. Goldens can turn any gun into a jam-o-matic. I know some people love them but I have had much better luck with the Federal bulk packs.

I've got a walther P-22. I have not shot it much but the few times I have it was a blast. I would also recommend a Walther.

MikeD said:

I wouldn't say that, but it is a lot of fun. When I picked mine up at the FFL, they had a $100 rebate all S&W rifles. If I had known that, I would not have any reason to start this thread. I don't know what the normal rate for these is, but mine ended up just under $300 after FFL.

Timing said:
MikeD said:

I wouldn't say that, but it is a lot of fun. When I picked mine up at the FFL, they had a $100 rebate all S&W rifles. If I had known that, I would not have any reason to start this thread. I don't know what the normal rate for these is, but mine ended up just under $300 after FFL.

I say that about most guns. :D

Unfortunately my desire to try everything is severly hinderred by my funding. :lol: :lol:

Re: First trip to the range with my 715; highs, lows, and ja

The only .22 I have that hates Remy Goldens is my Remington 597. Go figure. It eats the Federal bulk like candy.

Congrats on the new rifle! Your occasional stovepipe jams can likely be attributed to the newness of the action. I would expect that issue would resolve itself with more use. If anything, try runnin a couple hundred rounds of CCI Mini Mags through it. They're a LOT more reliable than the Remy ammo and will give you a better control group for comparison...

A range employee came up and asked what kind of ammo I was shooting and he suggested the CCI mini mags also. He said they were a little hotter and should do well in the rifle. I guess I will be stopping by the store soon. :D

Good deal,

The first couple hundred rounds I run through any new .22lr are always CCI Mini Mags. They eliminate a lot of the ammo related guess work and will go a long way toward properly breaking in the action. Good luck and keep us posted...

Those CCI Mini Mags also work great in short barreled handguns that need that extra umph to keep them cycling reliably. :D

Older Marlin Mod-60 (not quite sure what year, my Fiance's Grandfathers), jams every 5 rounds of Rem Goldens... Federal 325 or 555.. Flawless!

As for the 715 vs S&W, without the Rebate there wouldn't have been much argument on which you would have walked out with haha :D My cousin has the Tactical .22 with the H-bar and it does really well with everything but Remington Thunderbolts

Try some new ammo, Winchester isn't too bad for plinking but my rimfire vote goes to Federal Bulk Packs by far!

I was bit leery about getting this gun after reading of the number of folks that seem to be having magazine issues. I decided to give it a try when my gun outlet put it on sale this month. ($229) I picked one up earlier this week.

I've taken it to the range a couple of times now and put about 300 rounds through it with VERY FEW issues. The magazine was difficult to load the first couple of times, but is getting easier each time.

BTW I have only used the CCI Mini Mags in it thus far. They cost a little more, but I think I'll stick with a better grade of ammo with this gun. One complaint I do have would be it looks to be a chore to dismantle and clean.

I'm thinking that if I use better ammo I might get by with spraying some Powder Blast and running a brush down the barrell a few times.

Attachments

• Mossberg Tactical 1.JPG
    Mossberg Tactical 1.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 618
A quick followup to my Sept post.
I now have about 3000 rounds through my 715 CarryHandle. I've kept track and the last failure of ANY kind was over 1200 rounds ago...so I'm totally happy with the gun reliability-wise.
I've tricked it out a bit, forgrip, rail covers, red dot...by the time this stuff is added it brings the weight up enough that the plastic feel isn't so noticeable.
If people have patience (if they get a bad mag) and work through the issues it is a great gun for the price.

That's awesome snagglepuss!

Thanks for posting your follow-up and sharing your experience with us...

Just thought I'd mention that I bought a couple of boxes of Remington Golden Bullets and put 300 rounds through my gun today with NO ISSUES.

The Golden Bullets were on sale for $18 for 525. I'd have to pay about $40 for the same number of CCI Mini Mags. Think I'm going to stock up on the Goldens.

I also picked up a 10 round magazine just to have a back up until I can get a 2nd 25 round. I also added a fore grip with a bipod...makes shooting with the scope a LOT easier and a lot more fun.

Good to see the Remy Goldens are working out for you.

I shoot a lot of them as well, but usually only after I get the firearm nice and broken in...

glad to hear that the remington goldies worked well, I just saw and add at r local gunshop they are on sale 2 525 packs for $34.99

Mossberg tactical .22 vs ruger 10/22

Hello fellows I just want your opinion on which gun would you chose? I currently have the mossberg with 2 25 round clips and a fore grip, red dot sight. Should I switch over to a ruger 10/22? Thanks in advance!!

Re: Mossberg tactical .22 vs ruger 10/22

are you happy with your mossberg? if so then stick with it.

as of right now i am not happy with mine. it is about to go back to mossberg for the 2nd time since i bought it new in august. it had better be perfect when i get it back this time or i will be swithcing to the S&W 15-22.

Back