• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader Reviews...

Man that'd be nice!

Growin up we had several acres to ourselves, but I'm in the suburbs now...

I grew up in Bloomington Indiana, in a large neighborhood and never could shoot more than an air rifle. But we made plenty of trips to the range, usually about three a month in the winter and about three a week in the summer... But now I live in BFE Arkansas, and I get to do whatever I want... Except for Sunday mornings, Sunday night's, and Wednesday night's. That's when the church across the street has service. Other than that, I live in the county and I checked with Local LEO and they said pretty much anything goes except HE.

That's awesome!

I've got a buddy in NW Arkansas that can shoot all day long on his property. More than a bit jealous... :D

Ok, so far I have 150 rounds through mine all today, at very different rates of fire.

Zeroing (or reasonable facsimile there of) took about 35 rounds and now my iron sights are maxed to the bottom and the right. It groups very nicely, but the irons it came with are not very good... This may be due to the polymer stock, or it may be the sights themselves, I hope that's it. Time will tell, and so will a red dot next month. But I know how to adjust the shot to make target (coke can at 70m).

The rifle itself is nice, while shooting it all came back to me, how to keep a solid cheek weld and get it every time, it all came back very quick. As soon as the first shot rang out and the smell of powder hit my nose, and I really got the feeling that I was holding an M-4 in my hands, I felt in my element again. The feel of this rifle is great.

It is as accurate as I could hope for, the irons are the problem, the barrel is nice and straight, very reliable. The only problem I have noticed with the barrel is the compensator, the muzzle on the compensator is narrow enough that the rounds graze it ever so slightly on the top. This will have to be widened up to match the A-2 compensator more closely, and then the barrel shouldn't have any problems.

The magazine is nice, loads rather easily, I only need the speed loader after fifteen rounds. The magazine release is the worst piece on this rifle, and it is awful. I will have to figure out a fix for this out of metal. The screw is already stripping out of the polymer and I can feel how losse it is already. If anyone already knows of a fix for it let me know please. I think the best solution would be the same thing, larger lever, metal, and a solid locking notch. This is a failure...

When I started today I had minimal oil on the rifle, and I only used clp both for cleaning and lubrication. I had one FTE (failure to eject), and it was very simple, I had the rifle canted oddly and it wasn't able to eject, and it started to feed another round. I opened the bolt and shook, the casing fell out immediately and I let loose the charging handle and it loaded the next round, and shot the rest of the trip to the back yard just fine, no further FTE, no FTF, no OOB. And OOB was my big fear, and the reason I went with the Mossberg over the M&P, with a polymer receiver an OOB just might cause a catastrophic issue.

So, only one problem so far, well two, but one is easily fixed, the compensator, issue 2 is going to be the extractor. I can't wait to get that one fixed, and I think I will try to make an extension so it can be manipulated with the firing hand, without moving more than a finger.

Reliability: A
Mag:A
Sights: C
Feel:A
Mag release:D-
Overall: about a B-

Hopefully I can fix these two issues, or the mag release has a fix already, but I can fix the compensator. If anyone knows a fix for the mag release already please let me know.

the mag release has bothered me, but it has been the least of my worries...i've had to send it back twice for other issues...now i have a lot of snow that is keeping me from my range...i wanna sight in my red dot sight now...

I found that if I thumb my mag release and pull on the mag at the same time all with my left hand, it comes out easily and quickly. It took a few times to figure it out. Since then, it has become instinctive and I don't really notice it.

I took the polymer mag release and drilled the hole a little bigger and deeper for a bigger screw with bigger threads and a longer shaft. So far it holds up well. But as soon as I can come up with a metal, likely aluminum, mag release I will be changing it out and trying to manufacture it... I think I will go to the hardware store soon and pick up a small rod of solid aluminum and try to copy it with a file and see what I can do.

EDIT: I am only using the lever on the left side. I am still afraid to use the one on the right... Unless.... I wonder if it can be flipped over so that the right side lever is the one primarily used and the finger is facing the shooter and by extending the lever a bit it could be manipulated with the trigger finger... I wonder.........

Got my Flat Top out to the range today to play a little. Shooting Remington goldens. Put between 200-300 through it. 1 fail to feed due to a bad bullet (it was bent where the bullet met the casing) and one strange FTE that caused another FTF. I believe the casing actually ejected, hit the charging handle and bounced back into the gun, jamming it.

It was shooting low and left out of the box but i get it dialed pretty nice without maxing the sights out. I believe I am going to look for a Red Dot with a 2x magnification for the Flat Top and remove the Iron sights though. I love the Red Dot on my Hi Point 995ts.

A very fun little gun to shoot, can't wait to take it out again.

I [we],put about 300 rounds of CCI cprn down range today.Only problem I encountered was that my wife would'nt give me the 715 back,only empty mags.Rifle and ammo were flawless!Love this rifle and my bride!!

Ha, that's awesome! (for her) :lol:

Looks like you're gonna need another one if you plan on taking her with you all the time... :D

I' put 425 rounds through it yesterday after I drilled out the mag release for a bigger screw. The mag release I would say is now a b- good, but not great. Livable right now.

My other issue was the irons. I haven't gotten a fbus yet, but will when I grab my 4x scope, but for now I know how to fix my problem... When I stripped my rifle apart and cleaned it after my first outing I took the irons off and the sight was still all the way to the right, and at the bottom. When I took them off, I reset them knowing the sight picture would change for them when I attach them again... And oh boy it did... Took it back out yesterday and op pumped another 425 through it looking for the sight adjustment issues. If I place the sights on focusing on where I place them I get better reliability from them... The rear sight needs to be pushed down firmly and pulled to the rear. The front, pushed down and to he front. This seats them closer to the same position every time and keeps a closer sight picture, I rarely need to change the front post, and the rear eye only needs changed a click or two each time it's removed and replaced.

These findings are at about 70m. I will likely post a 4x scope with a red dot on a 45 for closer shots. Hopefully my entire day won't be rezeroing... But I have not stripped my rifle down since the first after range shoot, and since then I have put 600 rounds through it total, and the first 175 were three days before this last effort of 425. So lube it minimally, and don't touch the inner workings and each cleaning will last you longer. But I still recommend Otis CLP for cleaning and lubrication. Nope, not sponsored or anything, I just used it in the army for an m-4 an m-700, an m-2,mk-19, m-9, and I would use it for any other firearm.

Finally got this guy out to the range the other day and ran about 100rds through it. the gun itself is great, i had numerous problems with the magazine though. First off it is nothing short of akward to release it. but i had tons of misfeeds and FTE's. i really want to find a different magazine for this guy but i saw that someone else was able to clean up the guts of the magazine so i'm gonna try that and see what happens. as far as the sights i found that the irons are a little to loose for my liking. there isnt really anything to lock them in place. i kepp em close to zero but other than that i stick to my red dot.

i added all the bells and whistles- light/laser combo, fore grip, red dot, single point mount and sling.

over all i love this gun, very glad i bought it. i just gotta come up with a better magazine or figure out how to fix the one i got and make it work.

Saturday, with all my magazine frustrations, I forgot to mention some other things...

I was able to shoot, back to back, my Mossy and my buddy's SW .22 AR. His has all the controls set up just like a real AR and you know what? I like the controls on the Mossberg better. Even the mag release! Now that I've been shooting it some, I am very used to the mag release and it is easy to manipulate with my left hand. Maybe it is because I hold my left hand on the mag guide instead of the barrel and I can just put my thumb up and pull the mag down at the same time, but it is smooth and easy now.
If I can get this magazine working correctly, it will truely be a love of this gun.

got the RedDot installed and hit the range today (double excuse, also was going to try out my new Ruger SR22 pistol, for the record, its SAWEEET!)

The range I shoot at is indoors and is only about 18-19 yards max. But after getting the reddot dialed in I was shooting nice groups (not using a rest of any kind, if I was I suspect I could have shot even tighter groups) so if you are looking for a scope for your FlatTop, i can recommend RedDot TG8030B2. I found that I shot better when i turned the brightness down on the scope.

On another note, there was a father and son (about 10 yr old) at the range that walked in the same time as I did. I saw he had a Ruger 10/22 case so I asked him about it. He said it was his christmas present and they were there to shoot and try out the new 25 round magazine they had gotten for it. During the time on the range the kid came down to see my 715 and ask about the scope, then mentioned that they were having trouble with the new magazine, not wanting to feed properly. I went down to see aand noticed they were shooting Winchester White Box ammo, so I offered to trade them some of my Remington Goldens to try out. Dad loaded up the Remmys and went through the mag without a problem. I put the WWWs in the mossy and had a FTF. I asked the kid if he wanted to take a shot with the 715 (if it was OK with his father of course, dad said it was OK with him if I was OK with it) Dad told him only one shot. So I showed him which target to aim at, how to chanber the round and use the site. He took his one shot and put it 1/2" right of the bullseye! And then he even engaged the safety before setting the gun back down. It made me happy to see a youngster being taught how to handle firearms properly.

Anyway, that was todays range report.

madmanjustice said:
On another note, there was a father and son (about 10 yr old) at the range that walked in the same time as I did. I saw he had a Ruger 10/22 case so I asked him about it. He said it was his christmas present and they were there to shoot and try out the new 25 round magazine they had gotten for it. During the time on the range the kid came down to see my 715 and ask about the scope, then mentioned that they were having trouble with the new magazine, not wanting to feed properly. I went down to see aand noticed they were shooting Winchester White Box ammo, so I offered to trade them some of my Remington Goldens to try out. Dad loaded up the Remmys and went through the mag without a problem.
Anyway, that was todays range report.

Thats good to know. I bought a winchester white box myself and had numerous issues with feed and eject issues. I thought it was the gun (which had a broken firing pin I was unaware of at the time) but I now suspect that it is the winchester ammo. I might try what's left of the box when I get the gun back from mossberg but if the problems persist, I'll probably give it to the range for disposal.

Back