• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Good new is that your rifle is now NY legal. :lol:

Just kidding man, that really sucks. Keep us posted once you talk with Mossberg. Hopefully they'll get you a new mag or at least a replacement spring...

Hey i just bought a flat top 715T about a week ago and took it to the range today for the first time. It had trouble racking the first round almost every reload and about every 4th shot the magazine would slide out a little causing me to have to push it back up and re rack? anyone else having this problem or know how to fix it?

This is my first post. After reading all the problems you guys are having,it makes my problem sound....like not much of a problem.Well anyway, I cant get my quadrails tight. Ive tightened both sets of screws(4 in all) on the side,and the 2 on the front sight.But when you wrap your hand around it, it will move(just a little) back and forth. I know the barrell is tight,its just the barrell cover(quad rails?) that I cant get tight. Can anyone please help? Im sorry for all of you having all the feeding and jamming problems. Ive only ran 100 or so rounds thru mine and have not had any problems.YET. Anyway,thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!!

My 715T Carry Handle (Mod. 37206) tac rails are tight - at least as tight as the barrel shell itself. The top and bottoms seem to be molded into the shell, the side pieces are held in place by three (3) screws each side. Make sure your screws are tight - also the allen bolt at the back and the sight screws at the front. Use the proper screw driver and allen.

Good luck...
DZB

All screws are tight. The rails themselves are not loose. Its actually the two shells(that the rails are attached to) that move back and forth a little. Like I said before, all of the 6 screws in the shells are tight as well. The back and forth movement is slight,but its still there.

alyssasdad said:
All screws are tight. The rails themselves are not loose. Its actually the two shells(that the rails are attached to) that move back and forth a little. Like I said before, all of the 6 screws in the shells are tight as well. The back and forth movement is slight,but its still there.
They do fit alittle loose.I think someone put a thin O-ring around the barrel before tightning the halves up.Can't remember where I saw it though.

I just wanted to give everyone that has been having the problem of the charging handle locking in the open position while shooting a heads up.I could only get 2 or 3 shots off before mine would lock open. I read on another site where a guy simply used a zip tie around the handle so it could not be pushed in far enough to lock open. I tried it and ran threw 3 clips without any problems! It didn't lock open one time!!! I know it's not the proper fix but oh well....works for me!!!! I might take a dremmel and smooth out the handle where it won't catch at all. Anyway, just thought someone might could use this info.

i pay good hard earned money for a firearm, i want it to work correctly, i don't want to have to zip tie the charging handle. i'm sure it looks like donkey and helps the resale value. if the gun is still under warranty, why not send it back and get it fixed for free? or you can wait and lose money by paying to have it fixed after the warranty expires or take major hit on a non-fundtional firearm should you sell it. even if i had known this was a "fix", i would not have done it. i take pride in my possessions.

If it weren't for this sight I feel alot people with Mossberg 715t's especially the flat top version would be lost on certain aspects of maintenance, overall usage, fundamentals...

Mossberg IMHO has done a poor job on helping the buyer understand the gun & platform. I understand it's just a 702 plinkster with a Poly cover but the owners manual is for the Tactical Carry Handle model. So there are components/parts/#'s missing in the owners manual.

I spent $399.00 for the 715t MII (Red Dot) version. Mossberg & Son's should be more aware of their clients current & future needs on servicing this gun. I'd like to work on the gun myself rather than send it to them for months on end..

Let me get off my soapbox and praise my Mossberg 500A (Old Faithful.)

Soapbox all you want, this is the place for it!

Mossberg is definitely not the most user firendly company I've ever dealt with. All one has to do is look at their "new and improved" website to get an idea... :evil:

alyssasdad said:
I just wanted to give everyone that has been having the problem of the charging handle locking in the open position while shooting a heads up.I could only get 2 or 3 shots off before mine would lock open. I read on another site where a guy simply used a zip tie around the handle so it could not be pushed in far enough to lock open. I tried it and ran threw 3 clips without any problems! It didn't lock open one time!!! I know it's not the proper fix but oh well....works for me!!!! I might take a dremmel and smooth out the handle where it won't catch at all. Anyway, just thought someone might could use this info.

Good to see the quick fix worked for you!

Thanks for posting your results. I'm always a fan of the quick and easy home fix whenever possible...

speedyquad said:
i pay good hard earned money for a firearm, i want it to work correctly, i don't want to have to zip tie the charging handle. i'm sure it looks like donkey and helps the resale value. if the gun is still under warranty, why not send it back and get it fixed for free? or you can wait and lose money by paying to have it fixed after the warranty expires or take major hit on a non-fundtional firearm should you sell it. even if i had known this was a "fix", i would not have done it. i take pride in my possessions.
Look man, I'm not trying to tell people they need to all put zip ties on their guns. They can just try it to see if the charging handle is the problem and not the mag or ammo. Since I never use the feature of pushing in the charging handle to lock the bolt open, I've already cut the little catch off the charging handle.I took it out and put 500 rounds through it with no problems what so ever. It now never locks open. Now am I telling people to do this.....No!! It's just what I did. I'm new to this site but I remember you. A while back you kept posting how mad you were and how bad mossberg was. If your not happy,sell it and move on. I promise you,you've made it perfectly clear how you feel about your 715t. Bottom line is I paid 230bucks for this gun. Is it perfect...no. Could it be better.....of course. I'd just rather fix it myself than to get high blood pressure because I'm so upset mossberg has had my gun so long(like you have). So I'm sorry to have offended you. It's obvious you take your firearms very seriously. I would sure hate to see how you would act if a $2300 gun of yours tore up.WOW!!! Sorry for the post. I'll try to keep my mouth shut from now on. Peace!

So im a proud owner of a 715t tactical rifle. I purchased online at gander mountain in dec and finally got to shoot it today. mine came with the 25 round mag. when i first tried to load the mag it was really impossible, it was like the spring where stuck and way to tight, my friend acutally got them to load alteast 24 of them. and i left them sit there for a week or so. fast fwd to today. we when to the range so i could shoot this thing, mag in and it shot 24 flawlesses LOTS OF FUN :mrgreen:
i sat down and reloaded the clip, still tuff to load even with loaded, but i got it, when to shoot the gun again, shot once then jammed, almost like the clip was releasing it to hard, then it would get jammed in there ro bent a bit, had to keep releasing the mag and taking bullet out. very frustrating so i just whent home. im using reccomended CCI ammo .22lr - i know i though something was wrong with the 25 mag when i first loaded it, and even my buddy said yea this mag dont seem right, it was pushing the bullet out all funny inside the weapon. any body can help. i have emailed mossberg hopping to get a response, or a better version of the 25 mag... gun in usless if it keep jamming cause of a faulty mag. k thanks guys. mat

Greetings Mossberg owners!! I took my brand new 715T .22 tactical rifle down to the range and had a disappointing result. After about 5 shots, the magazine drops about ½ inch out of the receiver. I have some video from the range and you can clearly see it start to drop after the 3rd shot, a little more on the 4th, and by the 5th it has dropped to the point that another round fails to load. The picture is a still shot from my video so you can see how it drops. I did search the forum on this and only found one other person with this problem and I didn't see a clear resolution. Anybody have any insight? Thanks for your help in advance!!

Attachments

• magazine drop.jpg
    magazine drop.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 749
Are you sure your seating it all the way? It should be a light "click" when it does. I stuck a piece of the soft velcro on the top of my magazine on the front and rear to hold the mag tight after inserting it. I left it in the rifle for a week or two to get it conditioned. When I remove the mag, I have to give it a bit of up upward pressure to get it to release.

Some have had burs on the concentric barrel that pushes the "plinkster" mag release.It could be that you have that problem and it's not letting the metal mag release lever go all the way against the mag.Can you pull it out without using the mag release?

Thanks for the reply! I am pretty confident It clicks in and holds until I fire a few rounds. I notice there is a little bit of play in the magazine when it is seated, but from what I have read from others that seems to be normal. Unfortunately when I was at te range I had very limited time, so I need to go back to double check how I am operating it.

I too purchased a 715T flat top for my gf and tore it down the first night before going to the range and realized a couple things once i got to the range. 1st the 25rd mag wouldnt load 25(fixed later that night with the following statements). 2nd the bolt would get locked in the open position from time to time and FTF's out the wazoo with the bolt getting stuck open. bolts sticking open its like someone previously said...the bolt thinks the last round has been spent.

Solution:
Tore the weapon down and basically removed the charging handle and made sure it fits properly. sometimes there's a little too much play usually due to poor construction or something else possibly. I noticed that the charging handle has to fit in the slide/chamber a specific way otherwise you can't "rack it" or your bolt will catch in the open position.

I havent test fired since rigging the clip yet but im sure its partially do to the poor design in these mags. its not a solid mag. it uses a 10rd clip with the base plate removed and put into a polymer bottom with another follower inside it and another spring. what happens is when you put 10-12 rds in the mag the follower is getting stuck on the edge of the "secondary follower" we'll call it causing it not being able to put more rds in the mag.

Solution:
i basically gave my clip the "rigging" approach. took a utility blade and rounded/angled the square side of the feeder in the mag and now my mag loads all 25 and I'm able to eject them with no problems by just repeat racking. hope it works that well at the range on a live fire test

i hope this helps some but as usual with everything else in life...there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Thanks Cobra! Do you have any pictures that you could share that would show exactly what you did to the magazine? I (and I am sure others too) would love a visual of your handiwork!

“took a utility blade and rounded/angled the square side of the feeder in the mag and now my mag loads all 25 and I'm able to eject them with no problems by just repeat racking”

ncavara said:
Thanks Cobra! Do you have any pictures that you could share that would show exactly what you did to the magazine? I (and I am sure others too) would love a visual of your handiwork!

“took a utility blade and rounded/angled the square side of the feeder in the mag and now my mag loads all 25 and I'm able to eject them with no problems by just repeat racking”
[/quot
e]
Yes, as the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks. :)

Back