• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Bolt sticking problem

I just picked up this rifle on monday, I have not fired it yet but i went to familiarize myself with it but it took some effort to pull the bolt back. When I did get it to slide it stopped half way and stayed open, I pulled a little harder and it went all the way back and stayed open(without locking it back). It took just as much effort to close it, so I disassembled, cleaned and lube and it is a little better but still pretty bad, any suggestions? This is my first firearm so yeah, I'm a newbie.

Re: Bolt sticking problem

rpippins said:
I just picked up this rifle on monday, I have not fired it yet but i went to familiarize myself with it but it took some effort to pull the bolt back. When I did get it to slide it stopped half way and stayed open, I pulled a little harder and it went all the way back and stayed open(without locking it back). It took just as much effort to close it, so I disassembled, cleaned and lube and it is a little better but still pretty bad, any suggestions? This is my first firearm so yeah, I'm a newbie.

Did you make sure you got ALL of the packing grease out of the gun?

OFM is notorious for using a lot of packing grease in their guns and it often causes issues. I know this from personal experience with other models.

MikeD said:
rpippins said:

OFM is notorious for using a lot of packing grease in their guns and it often causes issues. I know this from personal experience with other models.

Yeah I noticed that, it was caked in there but I did clean it our and lubed with with CLP. Should i used something else?

rpippins said:
MikeD said:
rpippins said:

Yeah I noticed that, it was caked in there but I did clean it our and lubed with with CLP. Should i used something else?

What you use is not as important as just making sure it's all cleaned out.

Unfortunately that expends my knowlege on this as I don't own a 715. There are many others here that do and I hope they will chime in help debug this issue furthur.

MikeD said:
What you use is not as important as just making sure it's all cleaned out.

Unfortunately that expends my knowlege on this as I don't own a 715. There are many others here that do and I hope they will chime in help debug this issue furthur.

Another thing, what's your opinion on purchasing display weapons? you think it my just be beat up?

715t flat top feed trouble

Just picked up a brand new unfired/still in the box 715T flat top. Went to load the 25rd mag, and can only get 10 in. I've read about the spring issue so I guess I just need to learn to work around the 11rd bend.

Other issue. Inserting the mag in with 10rds, and then pulling the bolt back it sticks half way then with a tug it goes all the way back. Once I release it to load a round it fails to feed into the barrel every single time.

Do these rifles need to be oiled before first time operating? I traded a Ruger 10/22 for this rifle because I liked the look, and feel of it more. So I hope I didn't trade a reliable never FTF rifle for junk.

Any and all suggestions welcome! I want this to be a good reliable rifle.

I picked up a brand new 715t flat top today. Attempted to load the mag, and it won't hand load past 10tds. I can get 14 in if I pull the top spring down with a tool. After giving up on loading the mag I put it in the rifle, and began manual cycling it. Every single round jammed. None would feed in straight. Don't know why? Does the gun need to be cleaned straight from the factory?

I traded a brand new Ruger 10/22 for this rifle because I really like the AR style. The Ruger never have me any trouble during loading or dry cycling ammo.

Can a 25rd mag be taken apart to fix feed issues? I saw a video in which the fellow super glued the top sprig to the red feeder.

Any useful tips would be appreciated!

Re: 715t flat top feed trouble

Sabahe said:
Just picked up a brand new unfired/still in the box 715T flat top. Went to load the 25rd mag, and can only get 10 in. I've read about the spring issue so I guess I just need to learn to work around the 11rd bend.

Other issue. Inserting the mag in with 10rds, and then pulling the bolt back it sticks half way then with a tug it goes all the way back. Once I release it to load a round it fails to feed into the barrel every single time.

Do these rifles need to be oiled before first time operating? I traded a Ruger 10/22 for this rifle because I liked the look, and feel of it more. So I hope I didn't trade a reliable never FTF rifle for junk.

welcome from NY.
you should field strip your new rifle,give it a good cleaning to remove factory gunk,and then oil it up.
heres a good place to start,,,
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=519
any problems feel free to ask away.

Re: 715t flat top feed trouble

old mossy said:
Sabahe said:

welcome from NY.
you should field strip your new rifle,give it a good cleaning to remove factory gunk,and then oil it up.
heres a good place to start,,,
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=519
any problems feel free to ask away.

The first time I took mine to the range, I had a lot of trouble loading the first three or four mags. Just run a few through it, don't force the spring down if it really doesn't want to go. It will break in.

rpippins said:
Another thing, what's your opinion on purchasing display weapons? you think it my just be beat up?
Guns are tough by nature so floor/demo models could be a real bargain - that said ANY gun (that I'm buying FTF) gets a thorough exam and function check before I lay down cash.

rpippins said:

I have no qualms about purchasing display/demo guns. As Mingaa said, i always perform a full function check and visually inspect everything. After a while you just know what kinds of things are deal breakers and what types of flaws you can live with.

All of my mossbergs were bought used. :D Saves me the time of breaking them in. :lol: :lol:

rpippins said:

mine kind of did that when i bought it new also...the more i shot it, the less it cycled...cleaned it well and tried again...by 100 rounds, i had a single shot...the bolt would stick open before feeding the next round...all i had to do was pull it back to release it...i wasn't happy so it went back to mossberg. they had to replace the trigger housing assembly...it came back and had some eject issues...so back it went...it seems ok now, but then again, i have only got to put another 125 rounds through it...that was just before the sandy hook incident...it's been cold/snowy or mandatory overtime since...

Thanks for the input. I took it back to Big5 and the manager told me to load the mag and that would help, I think I must be stupid because that didn't make any sense to me, but i loaded it and the bolt wont even close with rounds in the mag, it gets caught on the left side. Im going back today seeing as how you get a 1-year warranty with them, but my next firearm will not be coming from there.

Is this a mag or bolt issue???

First I was having issues cycling the bolt, still has problems but I took it back to Big5 and the manager told me to load the mag that another customer had that issue and it worked, doesn't make sense but whatever! I loaded the mag and now the bolt wont even close while it's loaded. There is an indentation where it looks like the bolt is hitting the mag and getting caught, any ideas because I'm fed up. Still have not fired one round through it. This is my first firearm, a buddy of mine recommended Mossberg but for my first I am not too happy!!!

Re: Is this a mag or bolt issue???

rpippins said:
First I was having issues cycling the bolt, still has problems but I took it back to Big5 and the manager told me to load the mag that another customer had that issue and it worked, doesn't make sense but whatever! I loaded the mag and now the bolt wont even close while it's loaded. There is an indentation where it looks like the bolt is hitting the mag and getting caught, any ideas because I'm fed up. Still have not fired one round through it. This is my first firearm, a buddy of mine recommended Mossberg but for my first I am not too happy!!!

I know it's not what you want to hear, but ship it back to Mossberg.

Call them and get a call tag. It sucks, but needs to be done.

avery

rpippins said:

Is the bolt being held open by an empty magazine (no ammo in it)?
If so, it is designed to catch on the mag follower (red plastic). You will still need to pull back and lock it open.
Is the bolt not closing all the way when feeding ammunition?
If so, there could be a few different issues that may need to be addressed by returning it to Mossberg for testing and repair.

First, if you or your friend has a different magazine that is supposed to work in a 715T try that to see if you have a magazine issue. I would take it back to Big5 and complain. Make them show you it is fine or exchange it for one that works. Sending it in for warranty would be my last resort since shipping is on your dime.

Dysfunctional said:
rpippins said:

Is the bolt being held open by an empty magazine (no ammo in it)?
If so, it is designed to catch on the mag follower (red plastic). You will still need to pull back and lock it open.
Is the bolt not closing all the way when feeding ammunition?
If so, there could be a few different issues that may need to be addressed by returning it to Mossberg for testing and repair.

First, if you or your friend has a different magazine that is supposed to work in a 715T try that to see if you have a magazine issue. I would take it back to Big5 and complain. Make them show you it is fine or exchange it for one that works. Sending it in for warranty would be my last resort since shipping is on your dime.

I am taking it back for exchange, it just sucks to pay for another background check and wait another 10 days!

Dropped off my 715t at dunhams for them to send to Mossberg for repair on January 8th. Just came back from a trip overseas and called Dunhams today. They still haven't gotten it back yet!

What kind of wait times are you guys getting from mossberg for repairs?

when i sent mine back in late september, early october, they had it for a week...when it went back around thanksgiving...it took them 2 weeks...

can i ask why you would make dunhams pay for shipping the gun back? it was mossbergs defective gun, not dunhams.

Back