• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader Troubleshooting

715T hanguard question

New to the forum but not new to firearms. A friend of one of my kid's had one of the 715Ts and we went and shot it. I liked it alot. Loads of fun but I hate the hand guard. I would buy one if it is possible to replace the hand guard. I was looking to make it look like an M16 with the triangle hand guard. Is it possible to change this and has anyone done something similar? I would appreciate any feed back. I really like the gun but it needs to be comfortable before I buy something.

Thanks
Jeremy

Re: 715T hanguard question

you can buy the 715t in a flat top version that just has a rail up there and no handle, then you can just add whatever you like!

Im talking about the hand guard. I dont want the quad rail. I was thinking of adding a triangle hand guard to make it look more like a M16

are you talking about the carry handle on the top? if so there are two versions as stated. the one with the carry handle and the flat top version. if you get the carry handle version, the handle is not removable. if you get the flat top version, it has a rail there that you can add an after market handle to your liking...here are a few options...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094KL74U/ref ... B0094KL74U
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D3BQUE/ref ... B008D3BQUE
and there are others that may fit your liking better, it is just a matter of finding them...
should you buy one, i hope your experience with it is better than mine has been

I believe he is referring to the forend portion of the gun.

I am not familiar with this particular gun but I will try to look into it and see what I can find out.

jubylives said:
Im talking about the hand guard. I dont want the quad rail. I was thinking of adding a triangle hand guard to make it look more like a M16

The m16 A1 handguards are held in place by a D-ring assembly mounted to the receiver whereas the Tac22 handguard is held in place by a couple of screws. I can't say that it'd be impossible to rig something that'd work, but the method of securing the handguard is not the same between the two platforms. Your best bet is to pick up a cheap $10 airsoft replica and give it a try. Otherwise, even a used m16a1 handguard will run you anywhere from $35-$50...

they are not available without the quad rail. the body is actually 2 pieces of plastic that screw together over a 702 plinkster action and barrel. the quad rail is not removable, but rail covers may be purchased to for the quadrail. i am not sure if any are available to mimic the triangular handguard of the old style m16

I don't think it's really possible to swap the handguard on the 715...it's not an 'real' AR piece.
What we did was add handguard panels https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/ ... anels.html
They come in a package of 3 and are easily trimmed to length with a sharp knife or scissors.
The just press fit over the picatinny rails. Very 'tacticool' and much more pleasant to grip than the bare rails.
Ends up looking like this http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16- ... -s/151.htm

Yes I am talking about the fore end around the barrel. I can get the triangle handguards, vintage even, for about $20 from a guy i know and thought about mounting to a 715t. I figured it would be a custom build just not sure if it would be too hard or even done before. The cheap airsoft gun idea is a great idea. I may do that to test on first.

I just bought my 715t flat top about a week ago and finally got the oppertunity to take it out to the range yesturday. I was using winchester supper x 40 grain .22lr bullets and it was jamming once or twice every magazine... what should I do? Is it the rounds?

Welcome and congrats on the new 715t,

Trying different ammo might help, but the rifle is still brand new. Would highly recommend a thorough cleaning cleaning of the rifle and running a couple hundred rounds of CCI Mini Mags through it for break-in. After that, try a few different brands of bulk ammo until you find a brand that your rifle likes.

Keep us posted...

Went to the range again today since I got my new magazine in the mail. Both magazines had some FTE with both brand ammos, but I was able to run 4 clips in a row without issues alternating between Winchester super X and mini-mag. I did notice one bullet after clearing out a jam...

IMG_20121124_154028.jpg

what would cause this kind of gouging?

Dave

Hey guys...my aforementioned buddy with the 715T now requires the ring that attaches to the folding stock with the smaller ring that the sling attaches to...the whatchamacallit..."sling ring" !?

What the heck is the name of that thing ?...and why the heck didn't Mossberg put it on to begin with...this guy is worrying me to death about his new Mossy since I suggested he buy it...

If I at least know what it is called I can google it up...Mossberg site doesn't show it.

Thanks !!

SHOOTER13 said:
the ring that attaches to the folding stock with the smaller ring that the sling attaches to...the whatchamacallit..."sling ring" !?

might he be talking about a sling swivel to go on the sling swivel stud that is already on the stock?

tacticalnurse said:
I just bought my 715t flat top about a week ago and finally got the oppertunity to take it out to the range yesturday. I was using winchester supper x 40 grain .22lr bullets and it was jamming once or twice every magazine... what should I do? Is it the rounds?

Are you experiencing any restriction while loading your mags ?
If you like Winchester ammo, try Dynapoint's Or Dynapoint Target

I am having a different issue with my 715T flat top. Picked it up about 3 weeks ago and have put about 500 rounds through it with only a couple of FTF issues using a variety of ammo on two sessions (150 first time and +/-250 second time)

My problem is that after our second outing I pulled it apart to clean it (first time) and that went smoothly, with the exception of a missing rear take down pin. I am having trouble pulling the bolt back now. It will work fine when out of the plastic, but seems to lock-up after I put the adjustable stock back on. If I turn it upside down sometimes the problem goes away, but will come back once the gun is righted. I can't shoot it until this condition is resolved.

Any suggestions or things I should look for? I have sent a question to Mossberg service as well.

samchar12 said:
I am having a different issue with my 715T flat top. Picked it up about 3 weeks ago and have put about 500 rounds through it with only a couple of FTF issues using a variety of ammo on two sessions (150 first time and +/-250 second time)

My problem is that after our second outing I pulled it apart to clean it (first time) and that went smoothly, with the exception of a missing rear take down pin. I am having trouble pulling the bolt back now. It will work fine when out of the plastic, but seems to lock-up after I put the adjustable stock back on. If I turn it upside down sometimes the problem goes away, but will come back once the gun is righted. I can't shoot it until this condition is resolved.

Any suggestions or things I should look for? I have sent a question to Mossberg service as well.

It might be the bolt buffer, I had similar problems after my first cleaning. Review the You Tube vids on re-assembly for placement and orientation---the parts breakout for the 702 in the back of the manual also shows the buffer in the correct position (the 715T breakout doesn't have parts detail.)

The rear black pin holds the bolt buffer in place, and the buffer can be knocked out of position pretty easily when dropping the trigger assy into the receiver housing, particularly when you jiggle the bolt.

I cleaned the recoil spring, bolt, trigger assy, clip latch, etc. of my rifle (two-week-old 715T flat top) really well with Hoppe's # 9 followed by a light oiling before using it and haven't had any FTFs, jams, extraction failures, etc. after shooting about 300 rds. Ammo is Federal 36 gr HP selects (i.e. standard 22LR ammo.)

My rifle is the top-of-line version with a threaded barrel and flash suppressor, and the feed ramp on the trigger assy looks different to me from a standard (top-carry-handle) 715T that I compared it with. It may be my imagination, or possibly it's a fix for some of the feed problems mentioned in this and other streams. The ramp does nick bullets a little while feeding, which I don't like, but the issue seems to be getting better as the rifle is broken in.

Overall, I strongly recommend watching the (multiple) You Tube dissassembly and assembly videos before and while working on your rifle, the manual sucks IMHO. In addition, the stocks on flat-top (no carry handle) 715T's are different than those shown in the manual, they're one piece per side (the forestock isn't separate) and the rear take down (allen) screw is inside the housing, not in the handle.

So far I'm very pleased with the rifle, it's a blast to shoot---didn't enjoy the takedown, cleaning, and multiple attempts/OJT required to reassemble it, though.

Back