• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossy 500 no go with slugs

A shotgun is not a rifle but given the technology of modern ammo there is no reason to accept 6+" groups a 50 yards out of a smoothbore.

I just don't buy into the idea that it cannot be accurate because it's a shotgun.

The biggest issue is repeatable sight picture which can be reduced a lot but installing a good sighting system.

I am curious to see what king of groups this gun provides once a scope is added. My guess is that it will tighten them up a lot, then the ammo can be fine tuned to get the most out of it.

Maybe try some Brennekke slugs. I had good luck with them out of my 20g 500.

Need to find a fin stabalized slug for smoothbore. Works pretty good for the 120mm smoothbore on an Abrahms and its pretty good for about 2.5 miles or so. No worries about calculating for rotational drift either. Lol
Sorry i get sidetracked sometimes.

I like the Rio Armored slugs, but don't know if they make them in 20.

They're evil in 12 bore.

I have a 24" slugger barrel on my 12 gauge with rifle sights and with rifled slugs I can hit a pumpkin at 100yds - what barrel is on it? Just a cylinder bore with bead sight? Might be cheaper to try to find a used rifled slug barrel or at least a slug barrel with sights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 24" slugger barrel on my 12 gauge with rifle sights and with rifled slugs I can hit a pumpkin at 100yds - what barrel is on it? Just a cylinder bore with bead sight? Might be cheaper to try to find a used rifled slug barrel or at least a slug barrel with sights

No its a modified fixed barrel with bead. I ended up purchasing a savage 20 bore with changeable tubes and added some williams firesights. It was a cheap alternative and works quitw well. Picked up the gun for what mossberg wanted for a slug barrel. So my bird gun remained unmolested and i added to the collection. All good

No its a modified fixed barrel with bead. I ended up purchasing a savage 20 bore with changeable tubes and added some williams firesights. It was a cheap alternative and works quitw well. Picked up the gun for what mossberg wanted for a slug barrel. So my bird gun remained unmolested and i added to the collection. All good
Well that's your problem- you're only supposed to shoot slugs out of a smooth barrel, no chokes (like a smooth slugster or a cylinder bore), or out of a rifled slug barrel with sabot slugs. Shooting a slug from a choke will cause it to deform too much and tumble, at least that was my understanding.

You can shoot slugs through a choke.

Though I don't personally like to shoot them through a gun with full or extra full/turkey chokes or "adjustable" chokes that can be hand tightened.

You're right, you can shoot them through a choke, the more open the choke, the better the results with slugs- this is from Mossberg FAQ

"Can I shoot slugs or buckshot through a "smoothbore" field barrel with Accu-Choke[emoji769] tubes? (500/505/535/9200/88/930 models)
Yes, and with sabots or rifled slugs, the more "open" the choke tube, the better the accuracy ("Improved Cylinder" recommended.) The "full" or "modified" choke tubes are preferred for buckshot loads. Slugs, buckshot and steel shot loads are not recommended for use with an extra full "turkey tube" installed, due to the tube's tight constriction. Do not fire any load without a choke tube installed, doing so will damage the internal choke tube threads."

You can shoot standard rifled slugs thru any modified or cylinder or improved cylibder etc.. Wether it has a choked barrel or use choke tube system is irrelevant. Performance will vary from gun to gun and ammo to ammo. My old mossy bird gun didnt happen to shoot slugs very well and a bead sight did not help. Now shooting the savage with rifle style sights currently with modified choke installed works quite satisfactorily with inexpensive federal slugs. It will easily put slug in vitals at 100 yards though it will doubtfully ever be used beyond about 50yds were its carried.

You can shoot standard rifled slugs thru any modified or cylinder or improved cylibder etc.. Wether it has a choked barrel or use choke tube system is irrelevant. Performance will vary from gun to gun and ammo to ammo. My old mossy bird gun didnt happen to shoot slugs very well and a bead sight did not help. Now shooting the savage with rifle style sights currently with modified choke installed works quite satisfactorily with inexpensive federal slugs. It will easily put slug in vitals at 100 yards though it will doubtfully ever be used beyond about 50yds were its carried.
I'm still learning too :)

I'm still learning too :)

Well youve found a fabulous place this forumn has a great wealth of knowledge in many things. And what ive found in my short time here it simply has friendly well intentioned active members who provide alot of real hands on information.

Back