• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Most Complimentary Sidearm

Besides the grips being finished with Coyote AlumahydeII, it's all factory except about 20 years of handling and wear :lol:

Sometimes there just is no substitute for honest to goodness wear.

The gun actually has a neat little story behind it.

When I first got it, it was on a trade deal from a good friend of mine. He wanted my (then new) Pioneer cassette deck out of my 88 Grand Am I had installed a couple months prior. (Don't laugh, my first car had an 8 track in it :lol: )

Just before the Klinton AWB was signed, I told him if he still wanted it, come and get it because I was going to trade the car in anyway.

I kept the gun for about another 12 years or so and then sold it to another buddy to fund another project. A couple more years went by I was in need of a truck gun again because work was taking me several states away at any given moment day or night and in some shady places, so I called him up and asked him if he wanted to sell it back to me.

He hadn't shot it much and I bought it back for what I sold it to him for, and he even threw in a couple magazines that he'd picked up for it when he had it.

So that's the story of the pistol I've owned twice and has crossed the country more than a few times.

I guess the next time I get rid of it will be to one of my kids in my will. Maybe then I won't need it back HA HA

Or maybe I'll have the mortician load it up and cock it and put it in my hand just before they cover me up so I will hang on to it this time. :lol: After all, I've took it everywhere else :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh man John, didn’t see this post, I just had mine out shooting last weekend. It is actually a P89 that I had my GF buy me when I was 20 YO because I needed to be 21 to buy a handgun. I will never trade it or sell it. It is the AK of the pistol world, all metal, loose tolerances, combat accurate all day. You can dig a fox hole with it. It was made like the P85 but with a couple tweaks. I think one of theses was in the running for the Army but the Beretta won it out because it was more female friendly...that’s what I read somewhere anyway. I turned 40 on the 15th so I have had it for 20 years….

Yes, Sturm submitted it to the army in '88 I believe and the Beretta 92 had a slimmer, smaller profile grip, otherwise the Ruger would've likely been the standard issue military sidearm.

But you gotta admit, the Ruger feels like you're wielding a brick in your hand. HA HA I always wondered how the Hogue grips would feel with it. How do you like yours?

I admit that I have shot the 92 a lot and it's a good pistol too. I wouldn't mind having one of my own. They are accurate and the way the barrel is, they make good guns to suppress. I really enjoy walking cans and bottles with the Beretta and I generally kinda suck at pistol shooting. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmq-STPUa40[/youtube]

My Ruger has been 100% reliable too. I would be afraid to guess how many rounds has been sent downrange with it and it has not even had so much as a tune-up or new spring yet. I have shot everything in it. 115 gr, 124 gr, 147 gr, and even 158 gr Uzi bullets. It eats it all like candy.

And Happy Birthday !!

Love the Hogue grips. The only thing I dint fall in love with was the factory grips. Caution though, they don’t make it feel any slimmer but fit my hands perfect. ….got a stainless p85 in 45 as well never a problem but its only been shot half as much as the 9, don’t have a pic of it but you know what they look like.

Thanks for the quick review of the Hogue grip

My bedside gun.
DSCF0162.jpg

S&W M&P 9c w/Sig Sauer light/laser combo, TruGlo TFO night sights, and a full-sized 17rnd magazine.

Walking in the woods or HD?

My favorite non CCW is my Glock 22 with a second mag. 31 rounds of 40 S&W isn't the way Dirty Harry would do it but i love the big mag striker / DOA pistols! (stock photo).

Glock-22.jpg

Lots of guys like Glocks.

But I don't.

They make my butt look big

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mingaa, I use it for HD with the light and everything else without it. My Serpa holster won't handle the light. Great OWB holster by the way.

G19 is my EDC. My second choice would be a M&P 9

GlockStippling_001.jpg

ImAShrimp said:
Mingaa, I use it for HD with the light and everything else without it. My Serpa holster won't handle the light. Great OWB holster by the way.
Yep, it's my OWB / open carry woods companion and the #1 go-to in the bedroom. I have to IWB carry so I spend more time with my Kahr CW9 walking around. :evil:

ImAShrimp said:
What did you do to your grips? Looks like it would be nearly impossible to drop.

DIY stippling with a wood burning iron. It works pretty good

I use a Ruger P95 as a compliment to my shotguns. It ain't fancy, but it goes bang every single time and is minute of bad guy accurate.

It’s hard to beat a Ruger for reliability....at least I have never been let down, anything that did happen was a direct result of my laziness or ignorance

I carried a Ruger P90 for a couple years. It's a workhorse of a gun, albeit a bit on the heavy side.

I often OC with a P85 MKII.

Always worked for me.

grumpyerik said:
I use a Ruger P95 as a compliment to my shotguns. It ain't fancy, but it goes bang every single time and is minute of bad guy accurate.
I loved my P95 - one of the best bang for the buck pistols I ever owned. Not long ago I decided that all my handguns would be DOA or striker and I traded the Ruger (great company all around) in a Sig 250C 9mm deal. P95 may be the best shooting $300-350 pistol on the market.

Back