• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

muzzle device identification

ls81

.22LR
I got offered a mossberg at a good price but the picture i have seen on it has a strange add on at the muzzle of the barrel. I have only seen 1 picture of it he is suposed to send me a couple more but i was wandering what you all thought. I think the stock is blackhawk along with the forend pump the heat shield might be mossberg but the flash hider device is strange looking.

Attachments

• IMG_9997.jpeg
    IMG_9997.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 27
Oh - "project gun", hmmm.

I have not looked at the pic on a big screen yet - maybe it is a choke?!

for what he's selling it for i'd be ok in spare parts cost alone. I figure i'd hang it on the wall right next to a 995 hipoint carbine start me a cheap and ugly gun display.

I talked to the guy he says the barrel comes to the end of the muzzle device and its ported inside there. He also measured it at 18.5 from closed bolt.

If you don't mind me asking, what is he offering it for? From what I can tell I think LES is on point with that, most likely a "tacatical" muzzle brake that sticks out quite a bit... I mean if it's a good enough deal where you can slap on a stock barrel and forearm, I don't see an issue, but of course with any gun that's labels a "project" gun I'd be careful, especially if you can't examine it in person.

actual cost of gun = asking price + whatever you have to put into it to make it right. Even for spare parts, you don't know what kind of dremel gremlins have been on the inside of it.

she is ugly but $100 talks to me pretty loudly. I was literally looking for a heat shield and muzzle device for a zombie themed 500 build my wife and son love. so reduce that by a few bucks saved. use some paint i have and supplies i have turn her flat black put on the hogue tamer pistol grip and forend that lays around here collecting dust along with the barrel from the current zombie build and that leaves me with the stupid zombie/tacticool build needing paint work, a fun to shoot pistol grip shotgun and my unmolested factory wood stock 500.

Dremmel gremlins are real but the great thing is the 500 has been in production for so long almost everything is available. I am going to look at it and even test fire it before i bring it home tomorow.

The guy that has it admots that he took it as a trade and he just doesn' want to put any time or money into it he has moved onto a new ar build.

the muzzle device mystery is solved. What it was was a red winchester flashlight. what they did was solder a what appears to be a brass bushing to a barrel that was sawed off around the 19 inch mark. this was all tapped and put together with a set screw which was painted to be a front sight. The picture did not do the bright yellow color justice. the action works flawlessly and the gun shoots extremely well the screw sight works better than expected.

The safety does not work but i think its something to do with the blackhawk stock bolt may have read that somewhere else not sure but i'm gonna have it for a while so i have time to figure it out.

nothing yet i have a hard time throwing anything away or selling it if i do that then i need it the next week. i'll keep it as my shtf barrel in my parts bin. stil have around an inch to dress up the end and make it pretty again.

I was wrong the barrel wasn't sawed off its a factory security barrel but what it was was filled in around the end with solder. and to continue the saga.

I decided to remove the bushings and clean the barrel up anyhow for paint because the flashlight look just didn't do it for me.

What i found under thete was a home made porting job that was more half assed than almost any attempted gunsmithing i have ever seen. done with a hand drill the holes aren't straight or lined up straight. they are not all fully drilled and they are about 2 inches back on the barrel.

Then the holes were filled partially in with solder when the bushing was put on over the top.

I have another barrel that i will probably strip and paint to match the shotgun and just order a new factory blued barrel for my other 500. that moves the cost of this shotgun higher but still reasonable since the safety was just put together incorrectly with a missing detent ball.

Back