• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MVP Varmint 24 556

Out of the box with the right scope and mount and match ammo, what is the longest expected distance that is accurate for this model?

That'll depend on the shooter.

Don't have an MVP, but I shoot a lot of 5.56. Spend most of my time at 600 yd and in, but we've got some guys at the range that send 5.56 out to the 1000 yd berm with consistent hits on target. Really just depends on the type of shooting you're looking to do and on how accurate you're trying to be. Precision shooting is a lot more involved and results depend on a lot more than just the hardware and choice of ammo. Are you looking for consistent first shot center mass hits or for really tight groups on paper?

If you're talking about hunting then you'll need to research external ballistics on your round of choice to figure out if it carries enough energy to make a clean kill out to your longest intended shot...

Not hunting, I want to reach out and have tight groups at the farthest range possible. I like the 556 and really don't want a new round to stock up on or reload. This would be me working on myself to get the best shot.

Reason I ask is that you'll likely get more consistent results on target with a shorter barrel. The longer varmint barrels are optimal for maximizing muzzle velocity when shooting the lighter 45-50 grain projectiles. The set-up is well suited for consistent first shot hits on small targets like yotes, ground hogs, etc., but the longer barrel is more susceptible to the effects of resonance and tend to flex more as the projectile passes through it.

A shorter, more rigid barrel will be better suited for target shooting. All my target rifles have 18.5" or 20" barrels and deliver great results at moderate and long distance. Switched my 24" target AR to an 18.5" barrel and my groups tightened up. Same thing for my .308 rig when I swapped my 26" barrel for a 20". Just my two cents...

Ive been shooting 55Gr VMax pushed by 25gr of H335 with a 2.26OAL at 3200FPS Sub moa is easy and Ive stacked 4 out of 5 in the same hole a few times at 100 yards. The rifle is INCREDIBLY accurate with good ammo that suites it.

I also have the MVP LC, and its not QUITE as accurate but is 1 MOA all day long again with good ammo.

With the same ammo the Varmit manages 300FPS more muzzle velocity and tighter groups.

Im actually selling the LC on Texas gun trader, too redundant.

Last edited:
Back