• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MY 1100 TRAP GUN DIED

LTB45

.30-06
Rest in Peace
Supporter
This past Saturday, the wife and I headed up to the Rhode Island State Trap shoot.
I was pumped up for it and was ready to shoot 200 singles.

If you have never been to a state Trap shoot, Its a LONG day!
You get there for 8am so that meant we left the house at 6am. You register, then wait. Depending what squad you pull, you may not shoot your first 100 birds till noon. Then you wait till its your squads turn to shoot the second 100 birds.

After registration we set up our traveling chairs (ALWAYS in the trunk) and our cooler near the practice field. One thing that we never do at big shoots is shoot any practice rounds. We really hate to waste a perfect score on practice :lol:
Since we were right next to the practice field we figured what the hell, lets shoot one.

I start off on station 1, 4 shots and my gun locks open and wont close. I walk off the field to dissect the gun and replace whatever part is broken. I keep a spare of every assembly for the gun in my range bag so it should be a quick fix. I take the barrel off and I am shocked. My receiver and a piece of the welded on mag tube has cracked.

I did not bring a spare gun to shoot that day so I am DONE!!
So I went and dropped out and got my $105 registration fee back
Luckily we decided to shoot this round of practice. If this had happened after I started competing there would have been NO REFUND!

The break
9102_10200521599056741_280783055_n.jpg

Top view of the piece that busted off
969410_10200521599216745_2090495291_n.jpg

Well the gun is a TRAP Model 1100 and was made in 1966 so the way I look at it, I have been shooting it for 4 years in competition and it may have had 40+ years of competition shooting before me so it had a good life!!!

Now I need a new receiver so I headed to one of my LGS, we have one that is owned by a Trap shooter that I shoot with. He has an old field model 1100 in on consignment for $450. The gun is old but looks like it has never been shot!
For any one that may have a chance at buying a used 1100, the best way to tell how much one has been shot is to check the bluing on the mag tube. As you can see in my picture above the bluing is worn off REAL GOOD = HEAVY SHOOTING ;)

This one for sale, the mag tube looks like it came straight from the factory :D
He lets me have it for $400 out the door!!!

Now I only need the receiver and I already have all the spare parts for an 1100 that I need.
A good friend of mine, the guy that taught me how to shoot Trap, is an 1100 freak! He has been shooting them since he was a kid and his Father was a pilot for Remington years ago.
He loves the guns and has a crap load of them but NEVER sells them.
He offers me $250 for a few of the parts that I dont need!!!! So for $150 I am back on the Trap field with a gun that hopefully will last for many years to come.

Bummer, but you got lucky it happened prior to the start. Sounds like a decent price for the used 1100. My dad has an older one and it has been through hell with his years of duck hunting and it still keeps on ticking.

Always have a backup gun!!!!!

I learned this the hard way. I bought a brand spanking new 11-87 and took it up to my cabin, 350ish miles from my house, for some grouse hunting. What could possibly go wrong with a new quality firearm? The gun broke on the first shot and I was stuck without a gun for the rest of the 4 days We hunted.

Turns out it was something in the trigger group and it did get fixed free of charge but it really screwed over my weekend. If only I had thrown my 870 or even a single shot in the truck as well. (Sorry this was before I owned a Mossberg)

As bad as I hate to see this, I'm proud of you for it.

I've often said when people fuss about their first failure to feed or extract or something, I tell them congratulations for making it to the point where they finally have shot their gun enough to become intimately familiar with it.

But this takes it to a whole new level.

You pushed the gun to its' limit and wore it slick dab out.

Sent a rep point :ugeek:

John A. said:
But this takes it to a whole new level.

You pushed the gun to its' limit and wore it slick dab out.

Sent a rep point :ugeek:

THANK YOU!!!
I love it, a Rep point for shooting a gun till it dies!!!! :cool:

I should have also added to the post that I took out my cutting wheel yesterday.
I chopped off the mag tube and the action spring tube.
Now the receiver sits real nice on the shelf in front of my reloading bench.
It did win me class champ at my state shoot last year, so I did not have the heart to throw it away.

Sorry to hear about your gun LTB. Where in RI, a lot of the guys from my club shoot at Addieville - we don't do trap but we have a great 5 stand set up at our club Cranston Fish and Game in Foster. Its open to the public on Sundays you should try it out.

John A. said:
I've often said when people fuss about their first failure to feed or extract or something, I tell them congratulations for making it to the point where they finally have shot their gun enough to become intimately familiar with it.

I have SOOO much to say about that! I always wanna yell at folks who complain about a few failures... expecially from a brand new gun or one that they've neglected to maintain... I don't care if it's BOMB PROOF... it's a man made machine that can and will break over time and use!

Thanks for sharing LTB!

JoeRotella said:
Sorry to hear about your gun LTB. Where in RI, a lot of the guys from my club shoot at Addieville - we don't do trap but we have a great 5 stand set up at our club Cranston Fish and Game in Foster. Its open to the public on Sundays you should try it out.

The state Trap shoot was at Wallum Lake Rod and Gun.
I have shot there many times. I have also shot Sporting at Addieville, a couple of times, they have a fantastic place there.

The good thing about the 1100 is that the receiver is always replaceable. The tough thing is finding an old one that was lightly shot. This way you get many years out of the replacement. I got real lucky finding one.
It is time to change my Trap gun to a break open.
As soon as I find the right BT-99 for me then it will be an immediate purchase.
Shooting the PA state shoot in about a week. I just may come home with what I want, well that and a trunk full of good priced lead... :lol:

JoeRotella said:
I shoot steel plates at Wallum Lake. I will keep my eyes open for you.

Joe

:D On days when they have the larger Trap shoots I am usually there.

sorry to hear that LBT45,,,,,like you said ,it had a good life.
glad to hear your LGS hooked you up. wish you good luck in the next 40 years shootin your "new" one. :D

Back