• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My 4X4 .338 Win Mag

Re: My 4X4 .388 Win Mag and my next 4x4

Looking good! Now I just need to find $65. Lol. I'm going to look at getting one from a store or something to avoid paying shipping...

The units are well worth the cost in my opinion. By the time you buy a railed base plus a decemt set of rings you're in that price range anyway.

BassPro carries 'em if there's one in your area...

I have the 4x4 338 in marinecote with the synthetic stock. I have the same scope as you and the same game reaper mount except in silver. It's solid. I also bought the same scope and mount for my 270. They were easy to install and solid as a rock.
I think you'll be really happy with them.
Good luck

Looks like ill be getting the game reaper mount very soon. In the meantime, I went shooting today! I think I'm much closer to getting the right load, and I think the dnz mounts will only shrink the groups.
This group was decent but probably not going to end up using this load.
E191603C-C8DE-455A-960F-6659853072C5-28546-00001D5CF9DA8A2C.jpg

This one is the best I've got so far, it'll be my backup gun for deer season with this load. When I get the new scop mount I'll shoot another group of five to compare the results.
DD0AD08A-7F48-42A0-BAEF-277BE474A0EF-28546-00001D5C540F30BB.jpg

Lookin good Sir!

Can't wait to see how you like the Game Reaper mount...

Thanks for the compliments! I'm getting more confident with this gun with every trip to the range. The recoil is signigicant but it is manageable. The groups are both just over an inch which is a big improvement from all the other loads I've tried. With boat tail bullets I couldn't get anything under 2 inches. I want to eventually try the same load with the bullet seated a little deeper in the case and see if it makes a difference. I also may try same load but with different primer. If I can get this thing to shoot less than an inch ill be all over North America with this gun!

Well folks, glass bedding will be happening tomorrow. It'll take quite a while to cure so I won't be able to shoot the gun for quite some time. Depending on my school/work schedules and weather it may be months :x The wait is going to be killer but it is what it is. I took off the scope and weaver bases. I also cleaned the inside of the barrel. There was quite a bit of grease under the factory weaver bases. Mossberg really likes to lube things up in the factory I guess... DNZ mounts will be ordered in the near future as well. Here is a pic of my scopeless rifle:
FE4690FE-DA06-4484-87A1-00410B5C2CCF-1871-00000190A71C7CCF.jpg

Nice, you're takin the plunge huh?

I know the wait is gonna kill you, but I'm lookin forward to your results...

This frustrates me...

Mossberg's attempt at glass bedding the recoil lug:
EB2C1222-40AE-4359-AFDE-2EBD36F55D1F-2548-000001E670F2FB4C.jpg

With no screw holding the action in you can grab the barrel and wiggle the action around quite a bit. Normally the fit would be much tighter. Hopefully my bedding job is better than theirs. I'm not a fan of the plastic magazine holder either as its really in the way...

I wanted to post up some pics of my glass bedding job so here they are:

Recoil lug area
FED9C0D2-633C-4AAF-965A-93EBA4AA1F63-8756-000007F270AD5C01.jpg

I filled the bottom of the channel with glass to weather proof it. The glass here does not touch the barrel so the barrel is still free floated.
F14C695F-CA39-4BDD-B319-0D464DC2D84F-8756-000007F26D8ED63D.jpg

My new scope mount is also now in my possession so now I just have to wait for the added glass to cure, put it all back together, bore sight, and shoot! Based on how tight the action is to the stock with my bedding job I expect this to have solved my problem. I'm hoping for 1/2 inch groups or better, otherwise you'll have to make me a mod over on Remington owners because I'll sell this and buy a 700...

Lookin good Sir!

Can't wait 'til you get it put back together and can send some rounds down range...

Man alive this is one sexy rifle! Now, if it shoots as good as it looks Ill be one happy fella. Locktight on all the screws and all are properly torqued. Going to work on loading up some rounds, we're goin to try everything that showed any sign of promise. I plan on shooting her on February 3rd, so start counting down...
2F3662EC-8C39-451D-9C6E-7D03D4C5916D-16010-00000C594E4AFCD7.jpg

It looks great and I bet it will shoot even better. Keep us updated.

Well I was hoping to have something good to report by now but I'm sorry to say that I do not... Gun is still acting very strange. In a five shot group @ 100 yards it'll still put 3 touching and 2 way out... and it's not like the 3 touching were all shot in a row. I'm getting the same type of results from various powder and bullet combinations. I'm running out of ideas...

Now, having said all this: I know the gun is more than capable of being a superb hunting rifle. It would for sure be moment of Elk out to at least 200 yards. I would still like to minimize the error in the situation.

That is odd.

Have you talked with any smiths in your area to see if they might have some input?

No I have not as of yet. I was basically waiting til I exhausted all of my own ideas. I have a feeling most gun smiths will tell me I got what I paid for. I don't think there is much support for the mossberg rifle platform. I am going to try several loads without the muzzle brake and maybe a few different primers.

Good luck.

I hope you're able to find a good combination that offers more sustained consistency...

Back