1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

My 835.....

Discussion in 'Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action' started by mic214, Jan 31, 2017.

1. mic214

mic214 .410

I picked up a nice used Turkey barrel for my 835. It is a 24" vent rib ported barrel with the factory camo job and it came with a Mossberg "ULTI-FULL" turkey choke. I also picked up a Mossberg "X-FULL" choke, as well as a Tru-Glo "Gobble Stopper X-Treme" ported choke. I am going to play with the different chokes to see which one patterns the best. I plan on using this set up for both turkeys and close range coyotes.
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Rossignol likes this.
  2. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator Sponsor

The truglo choke should give you the best pattern if you're looking to get to 40 yards or so. You may even be able to try some 4 buck in it or check out the Winchester VarmintX which is a BB load. Or whatever you have.
    mic214 likes this.
  3. mic214

mic214 .410

I took the camo barrel down to a buddy of mine who is a gunsmith. I used his sandblasting cabinet to strip off the camo finish and then he taught me how to hot blue the barrel. I think it came out looking pretty good!

Here is the "Before" pic:

[​IMG]

and here is the "After" pic:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Elbert Garrett, John A. and Rossignol like this.
  4. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator Sponsor

Oh wow, it sure did turn out nice!
    mic214 likes this.
  5. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

That's the same pitiful camo that my 500 came with back around 1999/2000 timeframe.

You did real good on the hot blue.

Looks a LOT better now.
    mic214 likes this.
  6. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .30-06 Supporter

Nicely done!
    mic214 likes this.
  7. mic214

mic214 .410

Thanks!

It was my first experience at hot bluing. Now with this barrel, my 18" riot gun barrel and my 20" slug barrel, I am pretty much ready for anything:)
    Elbert Garrett likes this.
  8. John A.

I've never hot blued or parkerized either for that matter. I never had the tanks and stuff for it.

I've used cold blue about a thousand times, but that's about all.

Edit:

You can't tell by looking at it that it was your first time doing it. It looks factory.

It really looks good !!
    mic214 likes this.
  9. mic214

mic214 .410

Thanks!

I have used cold blue a couple of times, mostly on small wear spots on revolver barrels and semi auto slides. My buddy is a retired gunsmith, so he still has his shop and lots of equipment and he doesn't mind showing me the ropes. He is a great teacher. Under his instruction I have threaded several barrels for suppressors and flash hiders and I have also serrated a bunch of revolver and rifle front sights.
  10. John A.

That is awesome.

I wish I had someone to show me the ropes like that.

Let him know you appreciate it. Real world wisdom is hard to get these days. And rare.

I've had a few people show me things, but unfortunately, a lot of what I have learned was self taught.

And Lord knows, I've made more than my share of mistakes.

I'm of the train of thought:

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Show a man how to fish and he'll never go hungry.

I applaud you both.
    mic214 likes this.
  11. mic214

mic214 .410

Thanks!

Your are so right, real world wisdom is absolutely priceless. As my buddy will not take payment for time teaching me, I always make sure to bring something to him as a "Thankyou", whether it be wine, ammo, gun parts, holsters or something similar.
  12. mic214

mic214 .410

I finally got the rear sling swivel installed on my 835. I also upgraded the front sling mount with one from Magpul:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]