• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My bad.......

quiet22

Noted groups this past week deteriorated......hmmmm I thought.....took my 308 youth black plastic home for a look-see. Noted the scope would rock under left to right pressure......that's not good.......I knew I had been somewhat negligent in maintaining a check on the screws. Sure enough.....the provided scope mounts were both loose...yikes...took the screws out and used blue locktite....then took the 2 stock screws out....it was a little too easy....saw red locktite on them from the factory that did not effectively hold....put some blue on and hand tightened. Finally tightened my scope ring to scope screws......cleaned the barrel with copper cleaner followed by bore scrub followed by hoppes 9 ..then dry....all with cotton....no brushes.

So....hopefully my groups will tighten up again......have bought a variety of lead-free ammo (California) to try to see if the groups tighten up more......we'll see............I'll report back.

Last edited:
Your groups should be a lot better now. You may have to use a drop of blue Loctite on them, and you may also have to rezero now if you've moved the scope in the rings.

A lot of those rifles left the factory with lose screws in bases and rings. Mine was also. You should see a big difference in your groups now

Red Loctite is stronger than blue or yellow. If it didn't hold it was probably applied over oil or some other contamination.

Those screws are tiny and so need to be really clean. There's just not much surface to stick to to begin with.

Red is stronger, but I feel is overkill in this situation. I avoid using red on anything that may ever need to be taken apart again. I don't want to break out the propane torch to change a set of rings.

If I have a screw on a bipod leg that keeps coming apart, sure I may use a drop of red because you don't need to take the leg off of your bipod. But for something like this, blue is what I recommend.

Yep. Blue is plenty unless you have a loose fit up.

The metal just has to be clean. Really clean.

This is true of any adhesive or sealant. It doesn't work over contamination.

(I use brake parts cleaner typically, but it has limitations.)

You are all quite correct. In fact....I went back to the range with the blue locktite .....fired off another 60 rounds.....scope mounts came loose again.........took it home.....my spray grease noted on all screws.....cleaned with rubbing alcohol....reapplied liberally the blue.........will try again. My.....never had this much trouble with mounts.....but it is my fault ultimately.

Back