1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

My daughter.

Discussion in 'Work Safe' started by Rossignol, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

My older daughter will be getting married in a month and soon after she and my soon to be son in law will be buying their first house.

I don’t have much. Never have. But what I have, the few things I call possessions, are valuable beyond a dollar amount.

One of these was my very first shotgun. A 500 that was gently used when I got it. I was in a pretty bad way financially at one time and sold it. Some time later, maybe two years, I was able to buy it back. It’s the best gun I’ve ever owned. Just a solid solid gun.

As of this evening, it is now my daughter’s 500. They’re moving down the road a ways. More rural than we already are. A nice little house on some land. I think the 500 is a fine gift, and a fine tool. Solid and reliable. It means something to me. It means something to me for her to have it and she’ll enjoy it too as I have.

22B5B73B-7556-43A0-A84E-403374106519.jpeg
    Djcala, ripjack13, meanstreak and 5 others like this.
  2. don3

don3 .410

Nice gift!1 I gave my stepdad a old pump 12 ga. for fathers day years ago, when he passed my mom gave it back to me, shes not a gun person, I gave it to my nephew who is a hunter/gun guy, He was very happy to have his grandfathers gun. Passing guns down is a great thing for the giver and the receiver.
  3. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I never had anything really emotionally special, except for that one .22 of my moms, and she never really shot it.

But my best buddy has loaded thousands of dollars worth of ammunition for me over the years; and right before California made them illegal, I paid an FFL to get him a new Glock.

I had to explain the situation to my wife and his wife, and like most wives they both think we're a little bit gun-happy.
  4. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Good job Rossignol.

I am proud of what you did, and I know you've taught her how to use and care for it.

I know it might sound a little crazy, but I got a little emotional when I gave my oldest son my old Ruger P85, but I wanted him to have it and I sleep better at night knowing that he has it there and it can help keep him and his family safe. After having owned it since before he was even born, I know that it's built like a tank and has been entirely reliable with everything that I have ever put through it. I know that it's a good one. No failures in 27 years is saying a lot. That's why I gave it to him. I'd rather him have it than me.
  5. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

Can't go wrong with that 500 for a present! :) Don't forget the ammo... ;)
    ripjack13, Rossignol and meanstreak like this.
  6. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

Much more usefull than china or monogramed towels.

Its a multitasmer than can reduce stress, provide years of fun, put food on the table, help keep you safe and may even save a life. And if well maintained can be passed on for many generations.

I can't think of a better gift. Well done sir!!
  7. carbinemike

carbinemike Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

Very nice Rossignol. Sentimentality runs in my family and I plan to send my kids into the world with something similar. I hope she knows what the gun means to you.
  8. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Congrats on the upcoming wedding Brad.
    ripjack13 and Rossignol like this.
  9. Water Monkey

Water Monkey The man, the myth, the monkey Forum Moderator Supporter

That's awesome, Sir! Handing something like that over to an heir is quite a gift with a special meaning!

Congrats on the impending wedding!
    ripjack13, Rossignol and meanstreak like this.
  10. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

Well played. I can already imagine one day she will be telling your grandchild about "grandpa's" shotgun.
    ripjack13, Rossignol and John A. like this.
  11. Jmm14534

Jmm14534 .270 WIN Supporter

Very nice!
    ripjack13 and Rossignol like this.
  12. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

Thanks all! She’s very much aware that it’s long been my favorite. Thats why I gave her that one, because it’s my favorite, because it felt like it cost me something to give it. And she knows.

I’m not big on cleaning guns but I took it down completely and went over it more thoroughly than I have in years. Every part. The bore is still mirror bright and just as smooth as can be. Now it’s long had a couple spots of surface rust but some cleaner, oil, and a brass brush took care of it. When I was done it all felt like silk.

She’s very happy to have it.
  13. Djcala

Djcala 20g Supporter

Very well thought and done
    I cannot thinknof any better gift than the gift from the heart that can not only defend the family but also feed the family . Really special kudos sir.
    John A. and Rossignol like this.