• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first firearm purchase

I have been going hunting with my father in law for a few years now. This fall I plan to buy my first rifle, but I decided to get a shotgun first for the upcoming turkey season. I have also wanted one around for home defense.

My budget is limited due to son number two coming next week. :)

I did a lot of research and narrowed it down to a Maverick 88 12 gauge with the 28" barrel. I also added a few little things to make it my own:

Hogue over molded 12" LOP stock.
Truglo fiber optic sights
Uncle Mike's sling mounts
Mossy Oak sling
Primos Tightwad turkey choke

I am storing it in a Plano dual gun case so that I can use it for the rifle as well.

Headed out to the range to fire it for the first time tomorrow!

Now on to the good stuff:

466dec5c8ded3e27cf90fc8432356d41.jpg

53564786afd6bd4f05425b3ea0ffa239.jpg

b501387b2d9ab0e36c3325bbed27127e.jpg

46c9999330b2099be551c1c9649dd228.jpg

1a164aca55d50d7d46578847da3dc3e9.jpg

7411576e4b38f724156e2d3b44d2d156.jpg

Daaaaang! Looks like ya done real good!

Just watch where you hold your thumb relative to the bridge of your nose on that first shot from a turkey magnum.

good job on safety, don't let complacency undermine you as your comfort level rises over time.
if you ever get a firearm for self defense make sure to learn to be comfortable with ammo in the gun....some go chambered , safely .
good luck with it , you should be very pleased !

good job on safety, don't let complacency undermine you as your comfort level rises over time.
if you ever get a firearm for self defense make sure to learn to be comfortable with ammo in the gun....some go chambered , safely .
good luck with it , you should be very pleased !
Thank you!

With two little guys running around safety is my number one concern. As you can see, the gun has two locks on it. The case also has two locks. I went ahead and bought the three pack of trigger locks since I plan to buy a rifle and a handgun in the next year or so. :)

Thank you!

I went ahead and bought the three pack of trigger locks since I plan to buy a rifle and a handgun in the next year or so. :)
sweet
not telling you how to run your place but consider a lock box of some sort for your defensive choice, likely your handgun with a light.
Your concerns are very valid and do whats right for you but if you have a chambered handgun in a biometric safe designed to open only for you very quick to access a ready and capable firearm yet keeping it out of the clutches of your kids
It is proven over and over that an aggressive assailant can get the drop on you even if your gun is not in a chambered state unlocked.
A career criminal is methodical and move very fast, look into it as just an option......lock up you hunting guns with a daisy chain in a combo safe if that is what makes you comfortable....if you have to even get one key in a hole , one way, in a panic, out of bed at 3am ......your done IMO

sweet
not telling you how to run your place but consider a lock box of some sort for your defensive choice, likely your handgun with a light.
Your concerns are very valid and do whats right for you but if you have a chambered handgun in a biometric safe designed to open only for you very quick to access a ready and capable firearm yet keeping it out of the clutches of your kids
It is proven over and over that an aggressive assailant can get the drop on you even if your gun is not in a chambered state unlocked.
A career criminal is methodical and move very fast, look into it as just an option......lock up you hunting guns with a daisy chain in a combo safe if that is what makes you comfortable....if you have to even get one key in a hole , one way, in a panic, out of bed at 3am ......your done IMO

I agree with you. Once I get the handgun it will be more accessible than the other two. I appreciate the insight!

On another note, got the 88 out to the range this morning to get it patterned for turkey season. I am very satisfied with the purchase. It feels much better in my hands than my father in laws Remington 870. The 870 is obviously a quality gun, but that 88 with the Hogue stock fits me much better.

the old ones , word is the new ones are not near as nice as they once were .....most people gravitate the way you did the last 6 or 7 years now

I'm am not sure of the exact age, but I would imagine the one my father in law has is 10-15 years old. :)

In other news, had some fun today :)

2c9f84db701317529d03e4bf69122579.jpg

I bought an 88 in 20 ga with a 22" barrel for hd. I have been very happy with it. I think it is a good buy for the price.

Back