• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My little project.....

Nothing fancy, just functional. I have the Savage 110 Hog Hunter in 350 Legend and really like the accuracy of it.

Then I made the jump to a scout, when I bought my Mossberg MVP Scout! I fell in love with the scout setup, which kicked the old grey matter in gear..... why not a Savage 110 Hog Hunter/Scout? So after much fenagling, I got Savage to cut loose with a scout mount from their 110 Scout rifle and..... Voila!!!

Scout 01.jpg
She still shoots great and I kind of like it!

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

I've heard a bunch of people talking about the 350 legend. And I've been curious about it myself. Mostly good things, but it's hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff when reading gun mags since many authors write what the folks supplying the guns want them to write. I prefer knowing what folks think that actually have hands on experience with them so I'd like to hear more about it and your impressions are when you get time. If you don't mind.

What I ended up doing is building up a 9x39 upper, which I have been VERY pleased with. The ammo that I'm loading for it has been very accurate. Great range. And hits hard. It's a little bit larger diameter than the 350 legend but not a lot more. The bullets that I'm using to load are .366" diameter (9.3mm mauser bullets)

I have several choices to make fast moving supersonics up into the lower 30-30 territory, but I haven't worked a load up for those yet. I have 125gr compression bullets (which don't mushroom and expand that way specifically, the bullet is made from copper and compresses onto itself from the base which makes petals) and I do have some 145gr all copper bullets that I'm sure would expand that I have worked up so far to around 1900 fps.

Since that upper was mainly used for big heavy subsonics, I have a couple of loads worked up from 264gr up to 270 gr soft points that expand even down as low as ~950 fps which is really good for those of us who like to shoot suppressed.

I've heard a bunch of people talking about the 350 legend. And I've been curious about it myself. Mostly good things, but it's hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff when reading gun mags since many authors write what the folks supplying the guns want them to write. I prefer knowing what folks think that actually have hands on experience with them so I'd like to hear more about it and your impressions are when you get time. If you don't mind.
As to it's accuracy? With the original set up, a Weaver 3-9x50, it shot 1½" groups with everything I ran through it.

The one thing that some still push is the bore/bullet diameter. It IS .355, NOT .358. I am going to run some .358 SWC through my .355 sizer die to load some 'Fun Ammo'. I need to get this one, my MVP and my Ruger Ranch Rifle (in 450 Bushmaster) out to the range and get them sighted in. Deer season opens in just a few days. If I can't get to the range, I will have to use my Springfield Armory Saint Victor in .308. All the others have been laser sighted, but not fine tuned.

Once I am able to get to the range, I will report on it, John.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

Modern gun starts this weekend for me too. If I go, I'm thinking really seriously about using slugs. I've never tagged a deer using the shotgun before and I just want to for some reason.

And most of my shots are within 35 yards so I know slugs are up for it.

Modern gun starts this weekend for me too. If I go, I'm thinking really seriously about using slugs. I've never tagged a deer using the shotgun before and I just want to for some reason.

And most of my shots are within 35 yards so I know slugs are up for it.
I have killed a whole bunch of deer with 12 and 20 gauge slugs. Puts them down quick with most dropping in sight if not right where they were standing. I like Federal Tru-Ball slugs, but Winchester Super-X works really well too. I used to use Sabot slugs until they got so ridiculously expensive. Old pumpkin slugs have alot going for them.

Sadly, modern gun season ended last Sunday and I didn't have any bucks coming during daylight hours so I wasn't able to use the shotgun.

I have no doubt that a slug would've hammered a deer though. No doubt whatsoever.

Back