• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My M2 vs my SPX comparison

megawatt

.270 WIN
7 months ago I took the plunge and picked up a Benelli M2, so here are some thoughts as I compare it to my SPX that I have had for years.

As you read the comparison I will list the M2 first and the SPX second

Cost - $1200, $675

Weight – 6.7# (original config), 7.75#

Operation – inertia, gas

Capacity – 5+1, 7+1

Manufacture – Italy, USA

If you modify the magazine capacity of the Benelli M2 you have to deal with the 922(R) regulation of the ATF. The M2 is shipped with 12 out of 20 imported parts list so once I changed the capacity I also had to replace 2 imported parts from the 922(R) list so there would be a max of 10. So looking for the least expensive parts I changed the disconnector $50, and the follower $25. I prefer the larger capacity and look of a mag tube that extends the length of the barrel so I got a Nordic +3 extension $80 to get the same capacity as the SPX. Because I wanted a magazine tube that extends the length of the barrel I incurred an additional $155 before shipping cost.

Many owners complain about the stock carrier and the common issue of getting your thumb caught up when speed loading shells so as a total luxury I purchased an extended carrier $80. The last luxury I added was the Taran tactical extended safety $28.

So now I have a 7+1 capacity M2 and the cost is now $1200 plus $155 922(R) parts and $108 in luxury parts for a total of $1463 excluding tax and or shipping cost

The SPX did have some parts added from or3gun. A marine spacer tube $47, and a competition spring plunger $25. Total cost is $675 plus $72 for a total of $747

The M2 has a shell trip feature where the SPX does not. The M2 loads a shell onto the carrier when the trigger is pulled or the shell trip is pushed. So lets say you have the gun completely loaded 7+1 with buck shot and decide that you need to shoot a slug. Since you haven’t pulled the trigger all you have to do is pull the bolt back to extract the loaded buck shot and insert the slug. Remember the shells in the magazine tube will not come out until the trigger is pulled or the shell trip is activated. With the SPX you would have to cycle the bolt to extract the loaded shell, but when the bolt goes forward you would have loaded the next shell into the chamber. Now you have space for one shell in the magazine tube so you can insert the slug into the tube and cycle the bolt one more time to remove the second loaded buck shot and automatically load the new slug from the magazine tube. The SPX required one extra movement and you had to remove two buck shot shells. I am not saying the shell trip is better, it is just different.

Unloading the M2 does take longer because all shells have to be removed thru the port. All shells must run from the magazine tube, to the carrier and out the port. With the SPX you can simply push down on the carrier and press the magazine release button.

The M2 is 50% reliable shooting low recoil shells in the 1150fps speed. An I run myM2 naked with no added hardware on it except for a sling. The SPX can shoot low recoil shells with 100% reliability. In order for the M2 to operate you must limit the amount of stuff attached to the weapon since it is inertia operated. So if you like to mount a light, laser, side shell carrier, cheek riser then your M2 will not work. It probably would not work reliably if you added even half the things I listed. The SPX being gas operated you can load it up like a pack mule and it will run.

IMO a pistol grip does not work well with the SPX due to the tang mounted ambidextrous safety, so the standard stock works great with the SPX. The M2 has a cross bolt safety located behind the trigger so the pistol grip style works great to take the weapon off safe. But there is a slight hand manipulation required to put the M2 on safe if you have a firing grip. I wear a size L glove but I find the M2 has a ridiculous oversized pistol grip due to it being covered in recoil absorbing material. I just finished a multi day class and due to the size of the pistol grip and its angle, when you stage your trigger finger above and out of the trigger guard it becomes uncomfortable to hold the position by the second day.

The handguard on the M2 is smooth with no transition, it is very comfortable to hold on to. The SPX has a defined edge from the receiver to the handguard.

The SPX will start to show dirty gasses that escape from under the handguard where the gas piston is located. The M2 has no piston and is cleaner in operation which makes clean up very easy and a much faster evolution.

The M2 has white dots on the front and rear sights. After a day of shooting the dots will become dirty so that sight aid will no longer be there. The SPX uses fiber optic front sight that work great.

The M2 accepts chokes and comes with IC,M, and F and the . The SPX does not accept chokes.

The M2 is a quality weapon but I do not think it is twice the gun the SPX is since it does cost twice as much. I do like the choice of chokes that can be used but I hate the angle and width of the pistol grip. It will be tough to decide what shotgun I will take out of the safe if I can only take one. When I get home I will load up some pics.

Great write-up, Mega! :) Sort of the difference between driving a Corvette or driving a Ferrari. Both will do the same thing (sort of) but one costs 3 times as much. :rolleyes:

I think you need to go on a weight training regimen... ;)

fingerlift.jpg

6FF18DC2-B2CE-4AA4-BC14-DD2133D12A50_zpskegstnwv.jpg

C914A843-728F-49F4-9C3F-7F0A15C7FA78_zpsensvoba8.jpg

B5B9D49B-A3AE-4A96-8F54-5D795D63A6C7_zpsomb7eur9.jpg

59EBEC84-0E33-45CB-87F9-E74F205BD0FC_zpsmvc8ttt3.jpg

I would be glad to own either one. Good examination and critique. Thank you.

I have never owned a Benelli, but I do have the 930 SPX, a 935 Waterfowl, and have owned a Remmy 1187 SP. All are great shotguns and I would love to try a Benelli someday.

Back