• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My Maverick 88

ponie1992

.22LR
Black Aces quad rail
NCstar red dot site
ATI adjustable folding stock

20151211_115709-1_zpswkhbt5sr.jpg

20151211_115755_zpsqyj6n1a9.jpg

20151211_115803_zpscecq2kws.jpg

Put my NCstar light/laser combo on just for giggles. It's too loose on the rail to be useful. It stays on my Glock 30S anyway. Hope ya'll like my setup so far.

Looks good. What are you lookin to go to for sights and what's the cheek weld like with the added height of the rail plus sights?

In my experience with a sight that adds height, while somewhat effective, the cheek weld sucked making shooting uncomfortable at best and it began to foster bad shooting habits. Like shying from recoil due to not maintaining proper contact with the stock. Ultimately we ditched the sight and just practiced the heck out of the bead.

I'll add we aren't particularly recoil sensitive. My daughter began shooting 12 gauge guns at 12 years old and now at 16 she loves 3" magnums from buckshot to turkey loads.

Anyhow, that was the long way around, but interested to know how it works for you and what you decide to go with. I do really like the rail.

This is my first shotgun, although I've shot a couple. I haven't shot this one yet, but plan to over the holidays. I have the cheek rest adjusted all the way down. Holding the gun in a firing position, it feels good there and I have good view of the red dot. That may change when I actually fire it, but it feels good right now. Maybe I have a long neck or low shoulders, idk lol.
I do like the Black Aces rail. Only issue I can see with it is the way the front attaches. There is a bracket that clamps the barrel and magazine tube then the rail attaches to the bracket via screws. The issue is this leaves a gap between the bracket and rail. The instructions say to tighten the screws just enough to center the rail with the barrel. My solution was to install the bracket then measure the width. Then I measured the width of the rail (inside). Subtracted the two measurements and divided by 2 to get the gap measurement. I then carefully measured several small washers to get a stack of 3 equal to the gap. I put a stack on both sides to fill the gap. That allowed me to tighten the screws a little more and keep the rail aligned with the barrel.
I will definitely update this thread once I shoot it. I'll have some family members shoot it as well to get their opinions.

I think I would have done the same or likewise to center the barrel.

You know what, I totally overlooked the adjustable cheek riser. My bad. That should accommodate whatever you go with.

In any case, I'll be watching to see what you think.

Yeah, I was rather disappointed with the attachment of the front of the rail, but it's solid now. I can't wait to hit the range and I will definitely update this thread as soon as I can on how she shoots.

Added a Surefire light that I got from a coworker. Brand new, never used, official military. This one has the white LED and IR capability. Kinda wish I'd have gone with a tan stock now lol.

20151214_093528-1_zpsxdnjh7yl.jpg

20151214_093620-1_zpssbodwwlw.jpg

20151214_093704-1_zpsmnmzabxo.jpg

Dang, I like it a lot!!! That's a perfect location in my opinion, easy to hit the tail cap switch, very nice score!

Yes sir! The location works very well. It did come with a pressure switch, but the wire is short (better suited for an AR or something like that ). Very happy with the light performance and quality. I also got a great deal on it. More than half off of the lowest price I saw on ebay.

I still suggest when you purchase any new firearm so shoot that firearm as is, out of box to make sure it functions correctly & give you a better feel of the firearm. After a few range trips with said firearm, you then can get the feel of what needs changing, I learned my lesson on modding out firearms before shooting with my 870 that I had. I put on a ATI butt stock kit, there aluminum forend, flashlight etc. Then the first day came to shoot it I hated what I put on it. I then went with all Magpul furniture instead which felt better shooting. This is just my personal 2 cents. That 88 looks good, but how does it function for you? I am thinking about getting a 88 here soon.

Back