• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My MRE Experience ~~ UPDATE

Itsricmo

.30-06
Okay, so I have never tried an MRE before. I have always wanted to try one and maybe even get a couple for storage. I was in Johnstown's Glorious Flee Market and found a whole box of them for $8.00/complete meal. Isn't too bad once you factor in shipping and what not for online purchases... anyhow.. they had A LOT of "Pinto Bean and Ham" or "Beef Stew"... I grabbed a Chicken Noodle Stew and almost got a Pasta with Marinara, however, the packaging was torn open..

I have not opened it yet, it is for lunch tomorrow :)
MRE.jpg

What kinds have you all tried and what is "good" haha :p

Bon Apetite!
Rick

Re: My MRE Experience

It's Ben ages, so I picked one up on Thurs. it's a veritable beef stew or some sort, I never got around to eating it this weekend, I did eat the crackers and cookies, The cookies smelled and kind of tasted like sawdust, the crackers were better, but they are not like I remember from the early 90's.

lol Sawdust huh? Well I guess it could be worse :p
This one was made and packed up 06/04/2012... So it is relatively knew. I will at least get a good idea of what 6 month old food will taste like ;)

Attachments

• pepto.jpg
    pepto.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 266

hahaha Thanks Ol Mossy! I just opened it up to see the contents... I received a pack of 2 Tortillas instead of the Heater... A little troubling. I am going to contact MRE-Star and see what they have to say :|

Itsricmo said:
hahaha Thanks Ol Mossy! I just opened it up to see the contents... I received a pack of 2 Tortillas instead of the Heater... A little troubling. I am going to contact MRE-Star and see what they have to say :|

sorry, i couldn't pass it up.

We call them Meals that Refuse to Exit......eat the gum, it’s a laxative and keeps things moving. If you aren’t burning a ton of calories these are bad.......I got to be real hungry to say I like any of them.....that being said once when I was new crewman we dug fireline for 18 hours straight....the MRE that night was the best food I ever had, chicken stir fry with oriental noodles, I’ll never forget it. It’s also fun to take the heater and put it in a 2 liter bottle with a touch of canteen water in it, throw it down behind your buddies.

I am looking online at the various other meals... I would like Meatballs and Marinara or The Chili Mac. Oli, thanks for the heads up on calories! I only plan on potentially eating the entree and it is only 200 cals... Not too bad. I opened the Dried Fruit...... enough said there :) I will post pictures tomorrow of the main course and Raisin Nut Blend

When I lived in Korea it never failed one week out of each month we were running war drills and eating mre's... I've eaten my fair share. If your tasted like sawdust you got a good one!

I've only opened and tried some Beef Stew (from The Ready Store). It was good. Not something I would request normally, but I believe very appetizing when the SHTF.

I've eaten them all and they are all pretty much the same to me. For SHTF storage, I would recommend Arctic MRE's. We used them when I was stationed in Alaska. They have about 1,000 calories per meal. 1 meal would easily sustain someone for 24-36 hours under normal conditions. They are in a white bag instead of tan.

Mine came in a clear plastic bag with everything in another smaller bag, the main dish came in a vaccume packed container inside of a tan paper box.
I don't recall the brand, but it was the same as I remember back in the 90's

Astonishingly it wasn't too bad. Similar to a can of condensed soup once watered down lol. The Nuts and Raisins was a HELL NO! :p As was the dried fruit... just no haha
I received no cookie... kind of disappointing to say the least. The Pink Lemonade wasn't too bad, really couldn't taste it that much.

As for the main dish, Chicken Noodle Stew, I like it. Wasn't too thick or too thin and wasn't flavored as I had feared haha Next one on the list is certainly the Pasta and Marinara!

312653_10200105487310666_1464922654_n.jpg

281765_10200105492590798_1067342990_n.jpg

I did try the Chicken with Buffalo Sause...... once. After that a can of ten year past expiration Spam will set me drooling. I'd rather keep track of what small animals and reptiles you can actually eat raw. More to look forward to me thinks.

Maybe I'm just a picky eater.....

Mike

lol I will pass on the small edible raw creatures ;)
This is definitely edible and I wouldn't hesitate to take it if offered :p
My Bug-Out/In Meal Planner may contain this haha

Gotta try a few others first

Sorry for my absence everyone! I left for work Christmas Night and just got back this morning. Haven't really been able to get on to check and reply posts. Anyhow...

I had contacted MREstar and since I have already eaten my MRE they are going to send me a Free Entree of my choice with Heater :) CS was extremely nice helpful. They apologize and explained that their company relies on Man Power not automated robots, and there is some human error that gets stuff mixed up. The rep did take responsibility for it and said QC should have caught but will let them know to get their heads outta the dark place below their back :p

+1 for MREstar Customer Service and Products.

Oh the memories MRE's bring back when once upon a time I had stripes. Meals Rejected by Ethernopians.
I seem to remember being able to use the coffee creamer and hot coco mix to make a pudding of sorts and then of course making the heater into an MRE bomb. Yup, your tax dollars at work folks :)

Back