• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My new Patriot

Very nice and welcome aboard! I handled one of them at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor show last winter. It seemed like a very well made rifle and I like the wood stock over the competitor's black synthetic ones. You are probably one of the first few on here to get your hands on one. I hope you share some range reports on how it shoots for you.

(don't forget to post up on the new members welcome section!)

Last edited:
Looking forward to feedback, there aren't any here available locally that i'm aware of. Fast, flat caliber choice. whats the intended use?

No special purpose, the dealer had 3 on his table, 2 were 30-06 and this one. He said they've been hard to get, only been available for a short time. These were the first ones I saw, and I'm a sucker for a nice looking rifle with a cheap price tag. I already have a couple of 30-06's, but never had a 25-06.

Nice. Love the classic wood stock!!

Nice score...let us know how she performs on the range !

tt123, :(Yes, its been to the range many times. I really like the gun, but it sucks as far as accuracy goes. I've put around a 130 rds thru it so far, and the best group so far is 3.5-4 inch at 100yds. Then a suggestion to try H4831,:) and I finally got a decent group. So now I'm trying different loads of H4831 to see if it can do better. It sure don't shoot like my Rem.700s, but I really like this rifle and not giving up on it. This is the first rifle I couldn't find a load for it with either IMR4064, or IMR4350.

3.5-4" at 100y? Wow, that's not what I'd have expected. What's it been like with factory ammo? Even worse?

I hope you can find a load that gives you decent results.

Haven't shot any factory, when I saw the price for a box of factory 25-06 I bought the dies instead. I reload for all my guns except 22rimfire, so I just went ahead and bought the dies. The first loads of 4064 were all over a 14"x18" target, Then I tried 4350 wasn't as bad but they weren't much smaller then 8" groups, Tried 2 different scopes thinking it was a scope issue. NO change. Then a guy mentioned he had an issue with his Rem.700 in 25-06, til he tried H4831, then it got better. So I went searching for some. Bought a pound to try, and I got my best group so far. I also took the barrel and action out of the stock to see about bedding it, but the barrel lug is already bedded from the factory, the action sits in a magazine block similar to Rugers American. I then tightened the action bolts to about the same torque by hand feel, since I don't have a torque driver. The barrel is entirely free floated, so that shouldn't be an issue. This really is a nice rifle, I guess I just gotta find what it likes.

Last edited:
tt123, :(Yes, its been to the range many times. I really like the gun, but it sucks as far as accuracy goes. I've put around a 130 rds thru it so far, and the best group so far is 3.5-4 inch at 100yds. Then a suggestion to try H4831,:) and I finally got a decent group. So now I'm trying different loads of H4831 to see if it can do better. It sure don't shoot like my Rem.700s, but I really like this rifle and not giving up on it. This is the first rifle I couldn't find a load for it with either IMR4064, or IMR4350.
Try hornady whitetail 150 grain. Worked for me

Hi, new to the forum, I recently purchased one of the new Mossberg Patriot Rifles at the Syracuse Gun Show. Its a pretty nice rifle for $399.00 Mines a 25-06 rem., been making brass from 270 & 30-06, reloaded up 2 boxes of shells, hope to get to the range soon to try it out.

Nice rifle. I've been considering one of those too.

When cleaning it, how much copper are you getting? The barrel, if coppering up, may shoot better once broken in. My Savages, with the factory barrels all shoot better after they quite copper fouling. Too much copper build up will eventually ruin accuracy until removed.

My 2506 though not a Mossy, likes the heavier for caliber bullets. My new Patriot super bantam 308 is shooting 125gr sierra pro hunters very well with only a few rounds thru it. Using 48gr varget(starting load from Hodgdon). Good luck with yours. I like the wood, but don't like to see it get beat up, even if it is a relatively cheap rifle. I remember when $399 was a lot of money :)

I
Hi, new to the forum, I recently purchased one of the new Mossberg Patriot Rifles at the Syracuse Gun Show. Its a pretty nice rifle for $399.00 Mines a 25-06 rem., been making brass from 270 & 30-06, reloaded up 2 boxes of shells, hope to get to the range soon to try it out.

like mine, I don't like having to worry about scratching it. One reason i do not like the composites is they do not seem to be bedded well and are a bit flimsy. My new patriot in 308 functions great and was perfectly bedded. Enjoy its a good looking rifle

Anyone tried 168 grain in a new 308 patriot? I got a pretty good group right before my hunt but might like to try a heavier grain to a bit more accuracy. I have heard most all 308s like about 168. Anyone else have more input on this? Thanks enjoy this site.

Back