• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My Vintage Rimfires

Dr. Marneaus

.270 WIN
Hi Everybody! It all started several years ago when a friend gave me a basket case 42C that was rusty missing parts etc. I did a favor for him and he gave me the project gun. That was when Mossbergitis set in! Since then I have owned a total of 6 of these things in various shapes sizes and flavors.

The 42C sat in my safe for a long time, I slowly acquired parts for it, some parts were gifted to me *(including the period correct scope and mossberg mount), so it became known as the charity rifle. I'd shoot it from time to time. It wa salways ugly, had a cracked stock, etc. I figured one day i'd do something with it...more on that later.

One day not long after, I was in a local shop and recognized the plastic grip on a gun on the wall. Scored an absolutely beautiful, 95% condition 1955ish Mossberg 146B-A. Complete with all parts in tact. This is my go to rifle, and it has scored well in a number of silhouette matches that I regularly shoot it in.

Within a few weeks of getting the 146, I stumbled into a great deal on a mint 44US US Property marked trainer. Couldnt say no....this one doesn't get shot too often but it shoots well. I'd rate it 99%

Next I stumbled into a 146 that had been sporterized. stock cut and reshaped, barrel shortened. actually a really nice job. shot awesome. I didnt hold onto it very long though.

Then perusing a local forum one day I saw an add for "mossberg .22" and it happened to be this 1939 vintage Spiegel S26C single shot. It was missing the swivels and the S102 rear sight was kind of jury rigged. Sadly its missing the medallion too. Best part? $40. Bought it up. It shoots wonderful and theres something pleasurable about shooting a single shot. taking your time, enjoying the day...I replaced the swivels and added a vintage leather sling.

EDD1EF1F-8B6E-4D11-A01A-BC21DFFE27AC.jpg

4897AD8D-63EA-4C32-A5B6-B7C1EE2373C5.jpg

5B12E337-3D80-4BF1-A93B-B17524B440CF.jpg

Then more recently, I knew a buddy was looking for a good .22, and I ran into this old 46 that was missing parts and kind of rusty at a local shop. had been on consignment for a few years and they told me "make an offer, i'm sure the owner will agree". Scored it for $50. I got the right sights, mags, and a few other items for it to get it all cleaned up. Stripped the stock down, steamed out some dents, refinished it, touched up a bunch of bluing, gave it the full treatment. came out GORGEOUS. Needless to say, my friend was pleased.

And as mentioned, i'd get back to my 42C. After sitting in the safe for years, I realized it would be a prime candidate to make a "cub scout" scout style training rifle. Basically just a short handy rifle with good sights and a long eye relief optic.

Had an acquaintance shorten and crown the barrel to 18" for me, i repaired the stock, replaced the swivels, used a taurus 62 mount for the rail, added an S108 and S109 sight, refinished it with high temp paint, tuned the extractor, etc. Recently this tied me for 2nd place at the rimfire silhouette competition I shoot in :)

Nice post ! Great job on those sweet rimfires.
Nice truck too !

Just had a gander at your profile page.its sure nice to see a youngster with an appreciation for classic things.

I must say, those Mossberg rimfire rifles are just wonderful to view. Makes me feel real warm inside. You definitely have accomplished a lot with your skill and patience.

Would you sell just one? :)

yup...lovin those bolt actions. Been giving serious thought to picking up a .22 bolt action rifle.
Love the Waggy too. One of the vehicles I wish I never sold. My 67 Wagoneer.

hyss5Xj.png

Nice post ! Great job on those sweet rimfires.
Nice truck too !

Just had a gander at your profile page.its sure nice to see a youngster with an appreciation for classic things.

Thanks. The jeep is a love hate relationship, its been with me 7 years and its been alot of dollars, alot of curse words, but also alot of miles.

Old stuff is good.

Back