• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NC Mag Spring issue

xdhusker

Copper BB
I just received my NC +2 Mag extension with the XL Cap. They are 1000% better than the POS Choate one that came with my 930SPX and work perfectly.
I also received the NC Mag spring and it's considerably stiffer and thicker than the stock spring that came with my gun. I followed the directions and cut it down to 16" or so past the end of the tube and it worked, but the spring was so big I could only fit 6 shells in the tube and the seventh wouldn't even go halfway in.
I kept cutting it down until there was literally only 2 inches sticking out from the tube before I could get the 7th shell in the magazine, but it was still too tight for the round to cycle out of the magazine by pulling the bolt back. Even the 6th shell would get stuck sometimes because the spring was so stiff and tight. Also the last shell in the magazine was now so weak it wasn't reliably coming out.

When I put the stock spring in it works perfectly allowing all 7 shells to go in with a good 1/8" - 1/4" of slack in the magazine which allows everything to cycle reliably and clean.

The total length of my NC spring is now 20" and the stock spring is 34" long so obviously the stock spring is made of considerably smaller wire.

What I'm thinking is the NC spring can't possibly be used with 7 shells, so do I stick with the stock spring or go with a different manufacturer?

Back