• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need 16 gauge load data

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Good evening folks.

I am looking through one of my load books trying to find load data for 16 gauge federal (purple) hulls.

While I did find some data for theFederal Hi Power plastic/paper basewad shells, after looking at the data, can't be the correct data while comparing to Winchester and Remington hulls is almost 5 gr more powder with everything else being the same, so that can't be right. I must be looking at data for the wrong hull.

I have SP16 wads, any brand primer needed, and looking to load 1-1/8 oz shot with them. Longshot powder.

So, if anyone has a load earmarked for the Federal purple hulls, I would be very appreciative for any help so I can get my load data on track.

Thanks for the link PawPaw. I remember seeing that forum before, but had forgotten.

I registered.

Caddman, it's on hogdons load data sight. But you still may be correct.

24 something grains compared to 19 grains just seems like a huge jump in powder load just due to the shell if all else is the same.

using Hogdon Clays powder, there was 6 grn difference in my loads between 12 & 16ga. Also 12ga had 1.125 oz of shot vs 1 oz for the 16ga.

So that offset popped into mind right away.

No, this is what I'm looking at.

Both 1-1/8 oz shot

Federal Hull
federal load data 16.PNG

Remington and Winchester hulls are mostly about the same as each other (powder within a few 10ths of a gr)
remington 16 gauge load.PNG

I've never used Longshot so I don't have a clue what it should really be.

I don't have access to my books right now either. Maybe I'll get to take a peek later.

In comparison, high brass 12 gauge with 1 1/8 oz shot is 32 gr, and also using longshot powder.

I picked up a 16g base for my Lee Loadall some time back but I never did load anything with it. The ammo for 16g has become really pricy so I rarely buy it. And I really like the 16, its a great do all gun.

I love seeing threads like this in this forum. You guys are doing a wonderful job of sorting thru the problem.. :)

I have not noticed any unusual prices on 16 gauge ammunition here compared to 12 or 20. There's just not very much of it and there's not much of a variety. But I can't say that I've seen any price gouging on this.

16 gauge costs more than 12 gauge locally. And probably due to being made in smaller numbers.

When you can find it because we see it seasonally only.

Locally, there may be a half a case that gets put out on the shelf just before fall hunting seasons start, and by Christmas, they're gone.

There have been several years in a row prior that I didn't see ANY 16 gauge on the shelf at all period.

That's why I have a couple of cases of 16 gauge shells in the back of my safe because there haven't been many shotguns made in that bore since the 90's I guess. And I don't expect they'll continue making shells for them forever so I'm trying to ensure that I get to keep enjoying that gun with or without continuing industry support.

I just don't want to be held hostage by the industry as to whether I have a "shooter gun" or a "wall hanger".

I prefer to have a shooter, because that's what my single shot is. I have taken more game with that gun than I have all my others combined and I don't have the heart to reach over it and leave it in the safe while I choose other guns to use that I don't like as well.

And why I'm so interested in loading for it. I have several brand of hulls besides the Federal, and at least 5 bags of wads which will last me for as long as I'll be around. Maybe more.

But I want to have some recipes written down for when that day comes.

The last box of 16g field loads I looked at was stickered at around $25. Sorry, as much as I like the 16 I can buy 100 rounds of 12/20g for that price.

I honestly quit looking after that.

It's about $13-$14 a box/25 locally, which is about what "good" 12 gauge costs, maybe a little less.

I found several boxes at Myrtle Beach, SC a few years ago when we went on vacation for less than $8 a box, which I bought all 5 boxes they had left and brought home with me. I hadn't seen it that "cheap" since the mid 90s. I was tickled to death.

I can remember the price of 25 was 4.95 a box when I first started hunting with it.

Yeah, it's been a while. Almost 30 years ago now that I think about it.

I've been paying between 13 and $17 a box of 25 for both 12 and 16 gauge field loads.

Buckshot however is nearly double that price in 12Ga at 5 for $5~$6, and 16 gauge with Buckshot has been totally unfindable on the shelves here.

I have about 150 rounds of 16 gauge loaded with buckshot and another hundred loaded with birdshot, & all I made from leftover Dove and Bunny loads that I blasted against the steel Target out on the rifle range.

By the way I used the same powder loads in all of those regardless of the brand of Hull and I used the same shot cups, as I was only able to buy one type in 16 gauge.

This means that some Hulls have too much room leftover, and I am just filling that with soft paper wad or homemade cardboard shot wads.

I wouldn't hesitate to go hunting with these but none of them were intended as hunting loads unless things get desperate. I made these for self-defense loads & for target practice, and that's about it.

Oh yeah... I do intend to buy a mold (or make the mold,) to do 16 gauge deer slugs. I don't need them of course but now who knows? Maybe someday I will.

Back