• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need some side saddle feedback

Bri-Guy

Copper BB
I wanted to put this here under the 590 topic because I need feedback from 590 specific users. I have read tons of side saddle reviews and watched installation and review vids on YouTube, but I can't seem to find anyone addressing my concerns.

I know a lot of people dislike the non metal saddles because they look or feel cheap, but that doesn't bother me too much, with the exception of the Velcro ones (Even that's not entirely true because the Vang looks pretty slick to me).

The thing that bothers me is the metal to metal contact between the receiver and the adapter plates. While I don't really plan on removing the side saddle once it's installed (except to clean the gun) I don't want to have to deal with the superficial damage caused by most of these designs. This is especially true with the marinecote, since it is more susceptible to scratching.

So that narrows down my choices to the Mesa or the GG&G, since both of these use a gasket to (hopefully) prevent the metal to metal contact. Can any people who use either of these let me know how effective these designs are at preventing damage to the receiver? I would appreciate your comments, thoughts, and (especially) pictures.

Thanks in advance!

I have a couple of side saddles.

The one on my 500 is an ATI brand. It has been very good. I've used it for years.

The one that I have on my 870 is an AIM sports brand. It too has been very good.

I have gotten no damage to either of my guns resulting from their use.

No, I dont' like Velcro sticky tape BS on my guns.

The ATI seems like a solid design, but it's a little overkill for me. I do like how it uses the tapped holes on the top of the receiver though.

Not sure I am too familiar with the AIM or how it mounts. I'll check into it. Got any pics handy?

Thanks for the info!

The Aim mounts essentially the same way.

The plate that the new trigger bolt screws into the Aim is aluminum.

The portion that holds the shells is made from a thick, durable polymer/plastic.

I really like both.

side saddle 001.JPG

side saddle 002.JPG

side saddle 003.JPG

When you are too old to own guns and you pass on your firearms, the people who don't give a shit about guns will just sell them for nearly nothing and with the money buy weed or cheap wine or Wal-Mart cigarettes.

Your descendants who care about guns will love the wear and tear you put on your guns.

Point well taken, but I was raised to take care of my things so they last. I know that's getting harder to do in today's disposable economy, but my A1 is top notch and I hope to keep it that way

At this point it's in my DNA to be meticulous. Also, I'm a mechanical engineer and can't help myself when it comes to the details like these.

Lastly, if my son does grow up to be an ungrateful ass who sells my stuff at least he'll be able to afford some top shelf drugs .

John A,

Is yours a non-A1 or a 500 perhaps? Mine does not have the second hole over the righthand side of the trigger gaurd. The second hole on mine is over to the right more (out passed where the trigger guard ends)

Last edited:
Back