• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Needing a license for a forend grip?

Not that I am aware of. It may be a local restriction. Can they tell you which law it violates?

Unfortunately I have heard a lat of misinformation and outright lies being relayed at gun shops.

I looked it up under Florida law.. i think i need to find a new gun shop. He also told me my 88 Forend cannot ever be changed "Impossible" was his words

I looked it up under Florida law.. i think i need to find a new gun shop. He also told me my 88 Forend cannot ever be changed "Impossible" was his words

He's both right and wrong, depending on context. If you have a pinned forend it is impossible without swapping out the entire assembly. What most do is buy an older non-pinned forend tube and then put whichever forend they want on it.

MossbergForends_zps79db1095.jpg

I find that there is a ton of mis-information floating around gun shops.

Adding a foregrip to a shotgun is perfectly legal. The only circumstance requiring special registration would be when adding a foregrip to a pistol. This includes handguns, AR/AK pistols, etc. Adding a foregrip to a pistol would constitute the manufacture of an A.O.W. and is illegal without first receiving an approved ATF Form 1 and the required $200 tax stamp.

There is often confusion centered around the "cruiser" shotgun configuration (pistol grip only). Some will say that since it has never had a stock affixed to the receiver a cruiser is not a shotgun, but rather technically a "pistol" and in that case could not be fitted with a forward grip without AOW registration. This is only half correct. While the cruiser configuration is technically not a "shotgun" by definition it cannot be defined as a pistol either. By definition a pistol is characterized as designed to be fired by one hand and has a RIFLED barrel not to exceed .50 caliber. A 12 gauge smooth bore is roughly .70 caliber which puts the cruiser well outside the legal definition of a pistol. As long as the overall length is greater than 26" it cannot be defined as an AOW either. Technically speaking, a 12 gauge manufactured in a pistol grip only configuration with an overall length greater than 26" is undefined according to NFA regulation.

In defense of the confused, it's easy to see how they got that way...

speaking of gunshop misinformation, me and a buddy had a "straw purchase" discussion this afternoon. local gun shop would not let me purchase a handgun as a gift for my girlfriend. i know for a fact that her background is clear, she had to have a check done do become a licensed massage therapist. i dont claim i know the law on what a straw purchase is, but my understanding was that a straw purchase was for someone that you know cannot legally buy their own firearm, or taking money for someone to purchase a firearm for them.

Even a Wiki synopsis has a clear understanding: When made at a federally licensed firearm dealership, straw purchases can be illegal in the United States. Straw purchaser of the firearm who lie about the identity of the ultimate possessor of the gun can be charged with making false statements on a federal Firearms Transaction Record. If a firearm is purchased as a gift, the transaction is not a straw purchase, and the person buying the gift is considered the end user. Straw purchases made outside of federally regulated dealerships are legal unless the gun is used in a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser.

That situation is touchy, but one question on the Form 4473 is designed to draw a definite line in the sand on that one...

Question 11.a -

Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you.

The key in the wording here is the term "buyer". If you are the one paying for the firearm then yes, you are the buyer. Gifting the firearm after purchase is perfectly legal. If you are filling out the form 4473 with your information and someone else is supplying the funds with the intention of taking possession of the firearm, then that scenario would constitute a straw purchase...

Wow...the crap being stirred up lately is just unreal.

So if I buy a shotgun, and decide to give it to a friend as a present, that's perfectly legal... Right? Just want to make sure I understand. With what was previously said, I would consider YES.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

As long as it is in accordance with your state law, then yes.

According to some of the new ass backward legislation being passed at the state level, this action would be considered gun trafficking. Being that you're in New York I'd venture to say the "SAFE ACT" might have shut down this "gift" option, but I'm not familiar with the details...

Back