• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

new "3 gun" shotgun from Mossberg?

Have any of you seen this?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FRZ ... l=en&pli=1

if you have a google account you might have to log in.

Here's the first paragraph though....

Stress testing semi-automatic competition shotguns
Nicholas Leghorn, Benjamin Parmalee, Nathan Barndt, Frank E., Craig Boyd, Nicholas Rose
All authors are members of the Awful Shooting Squad - AwfulShootingSquad.com
Abstract
The authors of this paper conducted a 500 round stress test to determine if either of two semiautomatic
shotguns, an FNH SLP Mk. I or a Mossberg 930 SPX, would experience mechanical
difficulties in order to determine if one was better suited for 3-gun competitions. Testing was
conducted using one lightly used shotgun (<200 rounds) of each model which then fired 500
rounds in under 4 hours using two different ammunition types commonly found in stores and
rotating through 6 shooters to ensure operator error was controlled for. Data was collected
during the testing which was later analyzed, showing that the FNH SLP Mk. I malfunctioned an
average of 5 times for every 25 rounds while the Mossberg 930 SPX’s malfunctions were not
statistically significant. Based on this and other data this report concludes that the Mossberg
930 SPX is a superior semi-automatic shotgun for 3-gun competitions.

Kodiak said:
mingaa said:
Are ported barrels banned from ALL 3 gun competition? If so what is the 930 alternative - I have a 24" Turkey setup - ported, of course. I have also seen some rules posted with an 8 shot mag limit (7+1) - I'm looking for St. Louis regional 3 gun and IDPA or IDPA style matches for 2012. Shopping for ARs currently though I'm okay with Aks to 100 yds.

They are not banned, they put you in the open class with the big boys! You can have the barrel cut back or you can cover the porting with sheet metal and clamps. I'm interested in AR's too. I ordered a S&W M&P Sport 15. Mine out the door will be $680. I've heard of people getting it cheaper. It's been getting good reviews on the net.

I like the temporary fix with clamps-lets me focus on other issues. No I don't want to start in open but I'm really looking for skill building first and trophies, well- whenever. The s& w is tough to find lower than you have. A place called Mark' Armory has them on line for $634. I have an eye on Gold Star and BushmSter as well. .223 is the round for the sport from where I sit but I'm not sure what else I would use it for beyond plinking. Im a city boy. The ammo cost and accuracy of most rifles are there though- quick recovery and round count too.

RipJack, that was a pretty interesting read! Thanks for posting!

I love the JM Pro 930.. Good luck FINDING one.... like the rest of the firearms industry...
I've instead been put on a quest to build three out of used 930's I can find. First one is getting modified, I just found another one in Raliegh, NC,,,,,,,,

Yes Three :geek: :geek: , one for me :D , one for momma :mrgreen: and another as a spare. :shock: :shock: ........

Back