• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 590A1 - Safety stuck?

I just now got around to unpacking my 590A1 (18.5" model, 51411) that I bought a couple of weeks ago (my arm has been in a sling and cast...). So, I unpack it, clean it very good, install the barrell, and do a little lube. No problem there.

The action seems to work just fine, however, I cannot move the safety button. It's in the rear (safe) position. It does not budge. I now have a red mark on my finger from trying to move it. The action release works OK. Trigger is locked since the safety is on.

I bought this over the Internet. When the box arrived, it was in perfect condition, and sealed in thick plastic wrap. So, it doesn't look like it was dropped or damaged in the box during shipment.

I read the owners manual too, and didn't find any clues.

Can someone please give me some information or advice on this?

Also - How does one release the magazine spring retainer to remove the plug in the magazine (assuming there is one)?

Thanks.

Completely disassemble the shotgun. With the bolt removed you can see the underside of the safety. Put a drop of oil on both the button side and the underside. See if that helps.

On the 590, there is a cap on the end of the mag tube. Unload the shotgun, remove the cap (you may have to use padded pliers), remove the spring and shake out the mag plug.

Hope this helps.

Noted and thanks. I'm going to have to watch those YouTube videos with the disassembly instructions, then I'll give it a try. I've watched them before, and it doesn't look so hard. I hope I don't have to use a gunsmith to get it back together. So far, I've oiled (RemOil) the safety button from the outside, and I'm letting it sit for a while, maybe until morning. Right now, it wouldn't be tighter if it were welded onto the receiver.

It's kind of aggravating having my nice new shotgun dead on arrival. I could send it back to Mossberg, but if the fix is easy and I can do it, it would be more convenient.

Regarding the mag tube: When I take off the magazine cap (the part you unscrew to take off the barrel, which comes off easily), underneath there is a piece that sits flush with the end of the mag tube, called the magazine spring retainer. It has a slot on the side and a hole in the middle about 3/16" dia. I can't figure out how to get the magazine spring retainer out of there.

CrackerKen said:
Noted and thanks. I'm going to have to watch those YouTube videos with the disassembly instructions, then I'll give it a try. I've watched them before, and it doesn't look so hard. I hope I don't have to use a gunsmith to get it back together. So far, I've oiled (RemOil) the safety button from the outside, and I'm letting it sit for a while, maybe until morning. Right now, it wouldn't be tighter if it were welded onto the receiver.

It's kind of aggravating having my nice new shotgun dead on arrival. I could send it back to Mossberg, but if the fix is easy and I can do it, it would be more convenient.

Regarding the mag tube: When I take off the magazine cap (the part you unscrew to take off the barrel, which comes off easily), underneath there is a piece that sits flush with the end of the mag tube, called the magazine spring retainer. It has a slot on the side and a hole in the middle about 3/16" dia. I can't figure out how to get the magazine spring retainer out of there.

Use a small diameter wire such as a coat hanger, bend one end 90*, stick it in the hole and try to pull it out.

Noted and thanks.

The oil on the safety button overnight didn't work. I'm going to strip the gun tomorrow and check out the safety from the other side, and see if it operates while the gun is disassembled. Hopefully, I can free it up and avoid a trip to Mossberg.

Dude, if you break it down and have any issues getting it back together, send me a PM on here and I'll give you my digits. I'll walk you through it! ;)

UPDATE: Re: New 590A1 - Safety stuck?

I fixed it. Having never taken a shotgun apart before, I was sort of apprehensive. I watched the video (linked above) a few times, and kept my owners manual handy. I completely stripped it and put it back together, and IT WORKS. Problem or not, I needed to learn how to do this.

After I took the shotgun apart and took everything out of the receiver, the safety was still stuck. I checked, and the stock bolt wasn't in the way - it was about 4 turns shy of breeching the hole. I put some CLP in the area, then took a small gun repair screw driver (like comes in S&W revolver boxes), and put a slight bit of pressure on the back of the safety tang that hangs down into the receiver. There was a slight click. I tried the safey, and it now works. Apparently, something had caused the rear most part of the safety to ride up less than a mm onto the area to it's rear. Once freed up, it works properly. I lubed the safety area with a bit of Weapon Shield grease, worked it several times, then made sure everything was clean with a slight film of oil, and reassembled it. The slide works smoothly and the trigger/hammer appears to work just fine. I'll soon find out if it goes bang.

One thing for sure, either you put it back together correctly, or it doesn't work at all. The only thing that was a bit tricky for me was getting the bolt back in place, along with the bold slide, or whatever the piece is called that sits on top and connects up with the action bars.

Regarding the magazine spring retainer - I never figured out how to remove it. I did as Kodiak suggested too, but to no avail. So, I get out my shotgun shells (I hadn't tried to load it to this point, due to the safety problem). I was able to load 5 in the magazine (it is a 5 shot model). So, there was never a plug in the magazine to start with.

Nice learning experience. I know my shotgun inside and out now. All's well that ends well. :D

Hopefully, someone else will get some help from this thread if they have the same issue.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, help, and offer to help. This is a very good forum. I was able to ask this question here without someone calling me a moron, questioning my sanity or the legitimacy of my birth. I know of a shotgun portion of another forum where the mention of a Mossberg can result in flames, and the Remington 870 rules the roost.

It's now time to start stocking up on ammo. All I have right now is some of the Winchester PDX1 stuff, 10 rd box - that's all they had left down at the local Wally World yesterday. I can find exactly what I want on-line, but then I choke on the shipping prices. I have to do some shopping around town next week.

Later...

Re: UPDATE: Re: New 590A1 - Safety stuck?

CrackerKen said:
I fixed it. Having never taken a shotgun apart before, I was sort of apprehensive. I watched the video (linked above) a few times, and kept my owners manual handy. I completely stripped it and put it back together, and IT WORKS. Problem or not, I needed to learn how to do this.

After I took the shotgun apart and took everything out of the receiver, the safety was still stuck. I checked, and the stock bolt wasn't in the way - it was about 4 turns shy of breeching the hole. I put some CLP in the area, then took a small gun repair screw driver (like comes in S&W revolver boxes), and put a slight bit of pressure on the back of the safety tang that hangs down into the receiver. There was a slight click. I tried the safey, and it now works. Apparently, something had caused the rear most part of the safety to ride up less than a mm onto the area to it's rear. Once freed up, it works properly. I lubed the safety area with a bit of Weapon Shield grease, worked it several times, then made sure everything was clean with a slight film of oil, and reassembled it. The slide works smoothly and the trigger/hammer appears to work just fine. I'll soon find out if it goes bang.

One thing for sure, either you put it back together correctly, or it doesn't work at all. The only thing that was a bit tricky for me was getting the bolt back in place, along with the bold slide, or whatever the piece is called that sits on top and connects up with the action bars.

Regarding the magazine spring retainer - I never figured out how to remove it. I did as Kodiak suggested too, but to no avail. So, I get out my shotgun shells (I hadn't tried to load it to this point, due to the safety problem). I was able to load 5 in the magazine (it is a 5 shot model). So, there was never a plug in the magazine to start with.

Nice learning experience. I know my shotgun inside and out now. All's well that ends well. :D

Hopefully, someone else will get some help from this thread if they have the same issue.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, help, and offer to help. This is a very good forum. I was able to ask this question here without someone calling me a moron, questioning my sanity or the legitimacy of my birth. I know of a shotgun portion of another forum where the mention of a Mossberg can result in flames, and the Remington 870 rules the roost.

It's now time to start stocking up on ammo. All I have right now is some of the Winchester PDX1 stuff, 10 rd box - that's all they had left down at the local Wally World yesterday. I can find exactly what I want on-line, but then I choke on the shipping prices. I have to do some shopping around town next week.

Later...

Awesome job and well done! Thanks for the update.

Excellent. I love it when a problem ceases to exist. Good job.

Nice work man, well done!

The 590A1's dont come with a plug, I actually purchased a dowel rod and made my own so I could hunt with it!

Back