• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 930 Slugster concerns

muddyoldman

Copper BB
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. After waiting 6 weeks for arrival of my new 930 Slugster, I mounted a Leupold 3 - 9 x 40 illuminated UltimateSlam scope using Hawke rings on the cantilever rail. grabbed a few boxes of Winchester super X, 1oz., 2 3/4 Sabot slugs, 1350 fps. Knowing how well my 500 slug bbl loves these slugs, I thought these would be a good choice. Next, I grabbed a 200' tape measure and set up a shooting bench at 50 yards. I then put a few rounds in the tube to see where we are hitting. Damn, I should have grabbed the bore sighter!!!! It was shooting very low. After adjusting the elevation and shooting a few more slugs, I couldn't believe it when I ran out of adjustment, and was still shooting in the dirt low. The windage adjustment came right in with just a few clicks. If your not familiar with the UltimateSlam scope, it has hold points for 50, 100, 150, 200, and 300 yards. The only thing left to do was start aiming higher and higher to find my elevation difference. the final conclusion was that the scope was hitting perfect at the 300 yard setting. At this point the only thing left to do was figure out what the problem is. I took the gun inside and cleaned the barrel really good, making sure their isn't any wad fouling in the rifling. changed the rings, and swapped the scope for another one that I had. The new scope I put on was identical except for the illumination feature. the replacement rings are the same height. The second test session started with the bore sight. I noticed that the bore sight was at least on the paper this time. So I loaded a few slugs in and set the windage first, no problem. Next, I thought the elevation wasn't that far off when using the bore sighter, I clicked it up a few and was getting really close to bulls eye using the 50 yard hold on the scope, just another click and it should be perfect. next thing you know, I'm out of adjustment again. I am now just sitting in the shade letting the barrel cool between rounds Now what do I do?? I figure, shoot a few rounds and see what kind of consistency I getting, what will it hurt, right. Damn, this is it. It is grouping like some olympic match grade target rifle, the 4 round group is less than a 1 1/8" at fifty yards using the fifty yard hold point....BUT, I am at one click away from the maximum adjustable elevation, totally out of the scopes prefered focal point. At this point I am scratching my head and wondering if the cantilever rail could be misaligned, do I leave it alone, seeing as it is holding a great group. I cleaned up everything and went inside. it has now had 24 slugs shot down barrel, another ten since it was last cleaned. time to clean again. After giving it another good cleaning and inspecting the bore, I noticed that I could actually see where they welded the mounting tube to the barrel, both welds are noticeable and you can even see where they stamped the lettering on the side of the barrel, FROM THE INSIDE. MAYBE, its not the cantilever scope mount, but its the barrel that has the issues. I know that when you weld steel tube, it can pull and warp or deform tube. Now what do I do??? Do I send it back to Mossberg and have them look at it

Howdy muddy.

Sorry to see you're having thisissue. If the barrel is warped I'd definitely contact Mossberg. That's not only a performance issue, but a potential safety hazard as well. Might not be too much of the latter, but play that card with Mossberg and it just might heighten their sense of urgency. We've got a contact at Mossberg that should be able to help...

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

I would suggest contacting Joe and explaining the issue in detail as you did in your post. Then, request that a replacement barrel be sent to you before you return the defective barrel. They have done this under certain circumstances for our members in the past. If that is a no go and you have to send your shotgun in, I would include a letter detailing your issues in the box. Mossberg has a bad habit of not properly communicating the issue to the techs which can result in multiple trips to their service facility before the issue is resolved. Good luck and keep us posted...

Mossberg has agreat shotgun design in the 930, but they are not doing anyone any favors with the manufacturing of the parts.

I contacted Mossberg and told them of the issue with the barrel. they agreed that I should send it back to them so they could take a look at it. I also had them email me a shipping label. I wrote a letter stating that the welds are visible inside the barrel and the possible warpage. i guess the only left to do is ship it back and wait. I have had them repair my 695 for recall work. it took them forever though.

Back