• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 930 SPX owner

Hey guy’s I ended up picking up a 930 SPX today, the local gun store had a killer deal on them, managed to get it for about $650 after tax. I had a couple of questions though, they didn’t have any of the ones with the pistol grips in stock, is it possible to get the same pistol grip setup and just switch them out? I was also curious if you guys have any sling recommendations, I have a Mossberg 590A1 and I’m just using a generic Blackhawk sling on it, I was hoping to get one a little more comfortable for the 930 and there are so many options I was just hoping you guys might be able to recommend a couple. Last question of the night I was hoping to find a light attachment for it, I know there aren’t many accessories out there for these at the moment so I wasn’t quite sure where to begin. Will I need to change out the front grip to something that has a rail or are there attachments that will either attach to the grip or the tubular magazine? I would really appreciate any input you guys might be able to throw my way!

Good luck with your new purchase I hope you love it and it runs good for you!!

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

Derbarbarian said:
Hey guy’s I ended up picking up a 930 SPX today, the local gun store had a killer deal on them, managed to get it for about $650 after tax. I had a couple of questions though, they didn’t have any of the ones with the pistol grips in stock, is it possible to get the same pistol grip setup and just switch them out? I was also curious if you guys have any sling recommendations, I have a Mossberg 590A1 and I’m just using a generic Blackhawk sling on it, I was hoping to get one a little more comfortable for the 930 and there are so many options I was just hoping you guys might be able to recommend a couple. Last question of the night I was hoping to find a light attachment for it, I know there aren’t many accessories out there for these at the moment so I wasn’t quite sure where to begin. Will I need to change out the front grip to something that has a rail or are there attachments that will either attach to the grip or the tubular magazine? I would really appreciate any input you guys might be able to throw my way!

Derbarbarian,

Welcome to the forum !

I'll give you my $0.02 worth on your questions.

Yes, you can easily swap the stock. It only takes a couple minutes.

However, you may not really want to. Mine came with the Choate Pistol Grip stock, and I changed it to the standard Mossberg stock, and am very happy that I did. :D

The butt pad on the Choate Pistol Grip stock is pretty stiff. Working the safety is awkward. For me, the standard Mossberg stock is a better choice. And there is a Limbsaver recoil pad available to fairly easily fit the standard Mossberg stock, if you decide that you want one.

I'm not too picky about slings. I use a cheap quick adjust nylon sling that I picked up at a LGS.

You CAN change the fore end to one that has picatinny rails, (there's only two companies that I know of that make them, both rather difficult to find) or you can add a rail to your existing fore end. It's been done both ways, with good results both ways.

Look around on this, other forums. and Youtube.

Here's mine...

Duane

,,,,,congrats on your new mossy,,,,,,,,,need some pics,,,, :D

Here are a couple pics I took yesterday. I haven't read through the entire manual yet, but what type of break in period should I expect, are there any pointers you guys could give me? Would really appreciate it!

h2jw.jpg

srgb.jpg

pick up as much high brass shot and buck/slugs as you can afford. I'd try to run a few hundred hotter loads through it before even touching low brass birdshot rounds... I have found though that mine likes the bulk federal packs of birdshot and even with its short barrel, it's a fun clay gun using a string pulled mechanical thrower n a buddy.

I own a 930 tactical and have been slowly trying to accessorize it. So far I've added the Choate Mk5 pistol grip stock, a plus two mag extension, a Nordic Components barrel clamp, GG&G sling attachments, and a simple 1.25" in width M-1 Garand sling(black). The sling attachments from GG&G are the fixed left hand type that mount between the back of the receiver and at the end of the forearm. I thought this would be great right up until I put the sling on. I didn't like it. The front was fine but having a sling that only goes approximately 18" and stops at the back of the receiver just does not hang right for standard shoulder carrying. I ended up reattaching the sling to the stud on underside of the Choate butt stock. Its not perfect going from a side mount to an underneath but it's not that bad. I understand that Wilson makes a front attachment that mounts the sling underneath on the front for about 10 bucks. Maybe later I'll get that. I'm waiting on a Mesa Tactical 6 shot side saddle to come in now. Down the road I'll think about ghost ring sights as mine is the tactical model with the fiber optic front bead only. It also has the door breacher muzzle break. As you said accessories are hard to come by but getting easier but I would trade mine for anything (well maybe anything isn't the right word).

Back