• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New antler knife

Very good work buddy.

I recently did an Ulu using an old antler I had laying around for a handle. I'd wanted an ulu for a long time and finally bought one of the kit knives and did it myself. I admit that I like how your knife turned out. And how you rounded the edge of the handle off too.

My handle started with the bottom one. I figure I can use the points one of these days if I ever do a mount to hold an arrow or something.

J4EeN4K.jpg

EjjLPJG.jpg

PS. Don't tell my youngest son, but Santa has a couple of knife kits under the tree for him. Being a young teenager, he's old enough to learn how to do some woodwork and make some handles for a small and large skinner.

I've always wanted an ulu skinner. I think it would make skinning deer and stuff a lot easier. It's not huge by any stretch, but if you get it between the hide and meat, it makes pretty quick work of it.

Thank you for the compliment too. I admit, it was the first time I've made any handles for anything.

@John A. How did you carve out the slots for the blade? Dremmel?

I bought a used tabletop belt sander a few years back. Makes contouring the handles an easy job. Then i just work my way to some 2000 grit sandpaper and finish it off on a polishing wheel

Yes, I made the channels with a diamond (or whatever material it is) dremel tip. Used epoxy and added a pin too just for the sake of knowing that I did. It was tough drilling through the hardened metal.

I bought a table top sander this summer. I've been using it a lot. I should've bought it 10 years ago. But you know how that is.

Your knives and sheaths always turn out so good. You truly have a gift for it.

We opened our gifts a little early this year.

After seeing what he got, he couldn't wait to get started on his project. I think he's wanting to work on the small skinner today, but he did the large buck skinner yesterday.

Considering it was his first time making and installing handles, I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed.

On the small skinner, he says he's wanting to do some stippling on it. Maybe some design with a wood burner or something? I told him the sky was the limit. Whatever he could dream up, we could do.

But, the buck skinner turned out really well. Feels really nice in the hand. I just told him what to do and walked him through it, and he took to it like it was his second nature.

I'm proud of him. Though I think I may have created a monster. I think there will be a lot more kit knives in his future.

@ripjack13 this is some of the "scrap" from the Virginia walnut. I think there may be enough left over to do the small skinner too. But it will be close.

P1020221.JPG
P1020223.JPG

After seeing what he got, he couldn't wait to get started on his project. I think he's wanting to work on the small skinner today, but he did the large buck skinner yesterday.

Considering it was his first time making and installing handles, I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed.

On the small skinner, he says he's wanting to do some stippling on it. Maybe some design with a wood burner or something? I told him the sky was the limit. Whatever he could dream up, we could do.

But, the buck skinner turned out really well. Feels really nice in the hand. I just told him what to do and walked him through it, and he took to it like it was his second nature.

I'm proud of him. Though I think I may have created a monster. I think there will be a lot more kit knives in his future.

@ripjack13 this is some of the "scrap" from the Virginia walnut. I think there may be enough left over to do the small skinner too. But it will be close.

View attachment 24308
View attachment 24309
This is your boy’s first try at it? Coulda fooled me! That’s a great job he did there!

John,where are your preferred kits from?

View attachment 24308
View attachment 24309

John,where are your preferred kits from?

I'll be honest, I've only ordered the two so far.

The SCZO (I think I spelled that correctly) was the large skinner above was purchased from smokey mountain knife works. It was OK.

The small skinner knife was purchased from woodcraft.com. It was a little more expensive but nicer quality overall.

Back