• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New AR Project...

All these builds have me drooling...... I almost started ordering parts last night. But opted to be responsible, and keep my priorities inline [emoji37]

Where's the fun in that?

Now that I "think" my AR project is done for now I'm thinking of building a pistol next after the handgun purchase of course! I'm jealous LES!

Go for it...

Well, the new pistol runs like a champ.

Gas system seems like it's tuned pretty good and the trigger was super crisp. This is one fast little shooter...

SHOOT IT !!! I am curious about that pig, should direct the noise away from you pretty good

The KX3 does direct the noise forward. It's still pretty damn loud, but with all the gas being directed forward it gives off a short pop rather than a blast. Not sure if that makes any sense, but it definitely sounds different than any of my others.

Understood after the first shot why they call it the flaming pig. Sun was still coming up when I hit the range and this thing shot out a two foot fireball that reminded me of my Mosin m44. The name is well deserved. It'd be a bit of a distraction at night, but once the sun came up it wasn't visible in my line of sight anymore. Couple fellas watching from the side said they could still see it clearly though...

I've noticed the flash thing happening before myself, while from the shooters perspective, isn't as defined or noticeable.

The KX3 does direct the noise forward. It's still pretty damn loud, but with all the gas being directed forward it gives off a short pop rather than a blast. Not sure if that makes any sense, but it definitely sounds different than any of my others.

Understood after the first shot why they call it the flaming pig. Sun was still coming up when I hit the range and this thing shot out a two foot fireball that reminded me of my Mosin m44. The name is well deserved. It'd be a bit of a distraction at night, but once the sun came up it wasn't visible in my line of sight anymore. Couple fellas watching from the side said they could still see it clearly though...
cool, its really supposed to be nice if your next to other people, for them. that short barrel and ammo propellant play a lot into that flash .
Guy I know had a 10.5"/RMC. He was getting 2 foot flames out of the ports, so I shot some of his ammo because I had the RMC then and I might have had 6 inch flames.
My reloads rarely shoot any flames at all through the RMC or the Lantac, usually just a dim kernel of light that I never see at night but have seen in video

I always get out to the range just before dawn, so next time I'll take some video of the muzzle flash in low light...

Hey bro, I cant decide on a barrel length.

More the gas system, I know the velocity trade offs but not sure if I want a pistol gas.

How much have you shot the pistol system. Any issues ?

What buffer weight are you using ?

Not sure if this is only directed to LES

I have used a pistol gas on an 8.5" barrel sbr.

Standard buffer ran exactly as it was supposed to.

Switched to an H buffer to see if I could improve anything and I then I would get the occasional bolt not locking back on the last round.

It ran flawless with standard hardware, so I went back to OEM stuff.

I run H2 buffers in all my carbines, but use standard carbine buffers in both of my pistols. Probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 850 rounds through the 7.5" at this point with no failures...

as far as barrels I'm torn between a 10" GM car or 8" BA pistol.....I don't want any more than 12" total barrel

I'd say go shorter.

The 10" + muzzle device handles like a carbine, but the pistol is a whole other ballgame. Definitely has a different feel to it...

Working on one for my neighbor this weekend.

He came over a couple weeks ago asking about some production model AR's and what to look for. Had his eye on the S&W M&P-15 Tactical, but was open to suggestions. We talked through specs and after a while it was pretty clear I could build him what he wanted for much less than a factory model. I told him I could get it done for between $600-$700 and he handed me $650 on the spot. He'll probably only shoot this rifle a couple times a year, so it doesn't need to be a high end match grade by any means. It just needs to be tough and reliable. Spent a couple days pricing out the parts and with all the Christmas specials I was able to get everything for right at $580. A buddy at work gave me the heads-up on a pawn shop in town that does transfers for $10, so with that plus his $10 background check it'll finish out at $600. So all said and done I'll be handing him a rifle and $50 back. Here are the specs...

- Anderson AM15 lower w/integrated trigger guard (huge savings at $42.95 + $10 shipping)
- PSA 16" M4 1/7 Freedom Upper with no BCG/charging handle (Christmas sale for $199)
- Bushmaster BCG (Brownells Christmas sale for $79.99)
- PSA lower build kit (everything needed to complete the lower for $99)
- DPMS charging handle
- KNS Gen2 Anti-Rotation pins
- Magpul MOE Handguard + rails, MOE Stock, AFG2, rear MBUS, and PMags x2

Spent the afternoon degreasing and scrubbing all the parts, then applied Frog Lube to everything that needed it. The BCG and charging handle still haven't arrived but may be here tomorrow. I'll clean and lube them up too and bring the neighbor over to show him how everything is put together. Anytime I build for someone else, especially anyone new to the AR platform, I like to involve them in the process as much as possible. I find that it helps build their overall confidence in operating the weapon and hands-on experience with the assembly can help them with troubleshooting down the road. I'll post up some pics once it's complete...

Right on

I'm not satisfied with my Anderson stripped upper, I mean I am sure it will shoot but possibly the worst machined upper I've ever held. I thought the outside was ok till I matched up the handguard and noticed the pic rail was different and doesn't quite match. The final highth is dead on so it will work.
I looked at the rest of the rails in my possession and they are all the same other than the Anderson upper.
That coupled with the dull cutter grooves left inside on the top earnes it the never buy again list , unless desperate because it is the right size , right material and it will house the bolt carrier fine but for 10 bucks more I can have a clean reciever I'd do that..

Now the Bushmaster upper/bcg combo from Brownells , I got that for my son for Christmas and it was heads and shoulders above the Anderson

We'll see how it goes with the lower.

It mated up well with the PSA upper and with a couple of my uppers I tried. Everything appears to be machined to spec, but we'll see how everything fits once we start putting it all together...

Thanks for the heads up on their uppers Oli. I've never seen one in person.

But I really love their lowers. I have two at the moment and wouldn't hesitate on another. Especially for around the $50 mark.

@LAZY EYED SNIPER You done good. Especially letting your neighbor help put things together when everything comes in.

I have a small order with PSA right now for the TRS32 that still hasn't shipped yet and it's been a week tomorrow.

You may not have any issues from the upper, but please keep an eye on where the empties are landing. I've watched a lot of videos on youtube with the PSA uppers and it seems that being undergassed is a trend with them ejecting in the 4-5 o'clock neighborhood so it wasn't just mine.

Will do John, I remember the issue you had.

Hope to have it out for a test run this weekend if the rest of the parts arrive and particular attention will be paid to the gas pressure...

Funny thing is that I have never had a tighter fit upper....the takedown pin engages/disengages butter smooth but the upper has not even the sightest movement .
The fit isn't the best because I can still see slight gaps but the material is in the right spots for a matched like fit...I might by one again for the price, if you didn't build AR's you would never notice the flaws
The tool marks are really just an oil reserve anyway

Back