• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New guy on the block needs opinions on tentative purchase.

newontheblock

Copper BB
I'm new to shotguns. Served in the Army Infantry in the mid sixties and qualified as expert on all weapons except the .45 caliber handgun (I think mine was built in 1911). I'm now retired, have a concealed carry license, a .380 handgun with a laser sight, and a lever action .44 Magnum rifle with scope.
My main desire is to improve our home defense (influenced a bit by aesthetics). I'm considering purchasing a Mossberg 930 Tactical model 85336 (with heat shield), and equipping it with a Nordic Components "MXT" "+1" 12 Ga, extension kit; a G,G&G sling and flashlight mount (P/N 665-16225); and a Streamlight TLR-1 HL LED tactical flashlight, P/N 69260. I have no intention of adding a sling for home defense.
I didn't choose the 930 SPX model because I didn't think the sights improved in-close defense, and only added cost and bulk. I didn't choose the 85330 (no heat shield) Walmart model for $33.43 less simply because I like the looks better with the heat shield. Likewise, the Nordic +1 kit, at an added cost of $68.90 was as much for increased looks, as increasing capacity by one round. The Streamlight HL flashlight for $129.77, however, seems to me like a total necessity, because I believe home defense will most likely be required during times of natural disasters or civil unrest, when normal lighting is no longer available, and the strobe light function might further disorientate criminals minds already distorted by drugs, alcohol and simple greed.
Any suggestions or thoughts you might offer?

Welcome aboard and thank you for serving Sir.

I have the model 85336 you're looking at and it's been great...

Added one of the older NC +2 extensions. Only issue I've had is that it doesn't like low brass target loads or any other low recoil ammo. However, if I keep the ammo at 1300 fps or better it chews through it all...

Good choice on the shotgun. That model is particularly nice.

Also... Good choice on the Streamlight TLR-series, although the HL's lumens can be "overly bright" indoors wherever there might be light-colored walls or surfaces. I find that a simple TLR-1 non-strober is perfectly adequate on a shotgun (indoors and out) and I have several experiences at aligning my shotgun sights at pretty dangerous people during some pretty dynamic moments. Strobe is just not all that big of a deal for me. The HL is a nicer light outdoors if you are trying to ID something out beyond about 25-yards but indoors it can handicap you.

If you fire a shotgun during civil unrest and if you later have to sort it all out with the authorities, it doesn't matter one damn bit that you chose strobe over steady light.

Just sayin'.........

Thank you for your service. We have several members here that had served around the same time frame in the various branches.

That is a very nice model. I don't have any hands on with it, other than checking them out a couple of times, but I don't like strobes. They mess with me as much as they would the recipient.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum sir !!

The M930 model you describe above will serve you well in home defense scenarios...just hope you will never have to use it.

...and Thank you for your service to our great country !!

Welcome aboard and thank you for serving Sir.

I have the model 85336 you're looking at and it's been great...

It is a handsome piece; thank you for sharing.

Added one of the older NC +2 extensions. Only issue I've had is that it doesn't like low brass target loads or any other low recoil ammo. However, if I keep the ammo at 1300 fps or better it chews through it all...

Good choice on the shotgun. That model is particularly nice.

Also... Good choice on the Streamlight TLR-series, although the HL's lumens can be "overly bright" indoors wherever there might be light-colored walls or surfaces. I find that a simple TLR-1 non-strober is perfectly adequate on a shotgun (indoors and out) and I have several experiences at aligning my shotgun sights at pretty dangerous people during some pretty dynamic moments. Strobe is just not all that big of a deal for me. The HL is a nicer light outdoors if you are trying to ID something out beyond about 25-yards but indoors it can handicap you.

If you fire a shotgun during civil unrest and if you later have to sort it all out with the authorities, it doesn't matter one damn bit that you chose strobe over steady light.

Just sayin'.........

Thanks much for your reply; it certainly provides food for thought.
I try and put myself into the mind of the intruder. If the electricity in the house is still functional, my ultra-loud alarm system will be blaring so loudly as to somewhat disorient them (and, by the way, would drown out any polite female voice "instructing" the intruder to "leave the premises immediately" [what a total joke!]); but because I've set the alarm off accidentally numerous times, I won't be "alarmed" by it. I'm also assuming the HL's extra output, especially when pointed into the eyes of intruders, might cause them total momentary blindness, to my advantage. And, like the house alarm, I would also practice using the strobe effect in advance, so that I'm use to it, whereas intruders will be surprised and disorientated by it (i.e., "shock and awe"). I want every tactical advantage I can employ to defend my home and beloved ones.

Back