• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New guy with a few questions

jncviper

Copper BB
Hello all. New guy here. I have a Deer and Turkey combo 835 I got in 2005 and have carried it in the turkey woods with me every year sense. I love it but I have recently started building it up some. Since last season I have added a Kick-lite stock that I am still working with the awesome folks at Phoenix Technology to eliminate the check slap I'm experiencing. It's almost gone so last week I got a Carlson Long Beard XR choke and some LBXR 3.5" 6s and patterned it over the weekend.
First Question.
The pattern at 40 yards was great but it was shooting high left. I have adjusted the read site all the way down, and over to the right and it is still high left with both me and my brother in law shooting it. Is there anything besides aiming low right I can do?
Second question.
I've had an issue for a few years where sometimes the last shell in my magazine doesn't eject. I've taken all apart and cleaned everything and stretched the spring and it is better but not perfect. Do you all think a Wollf Mag spring would help?
Third question.
I really think I want to go to a 3-point sling for easy carry and gun readiness in the woods. I usually have decoys and a seat on my back so American carry gets kind of difficult. Has anyone found a really good one that word well

I have been lurking and reading do a while now. Lots of great info on the site. I've attached a pick of it the way it sits with the factory choke in it. Thanks for your time!

IMG_4807.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are sure that the mag tube is really clean, suspect the spring.

If there's any build up or the follower is sticking, you might still have a weak spring, but the first thing I would do is Polish the snot out of the follower, & inside of the tube.

I have a 500 which is relatively new and after about 25 consecutive shots it will build up enough detritus behind the cartridge stop to make it sticky.

Sometimes the last shell will not feed the first time I pump it. But this might also be a problem with dirty ammunition. I'm assuming this will go away as the gun wears in.

I too tried the Carlson's LongBeard choke. I found it to be more open than it needed to be and swapped for their .675 ported turkey choke which works great for me!

I have a sling from Spectre Gear which is somewhat convertible and can be used as a three point sling. I use African carry mostly though.

You can browse their slings here;
https://www.spectergear.com/searchresults.asp?cat=186

I couldn't say on the spring and I trust Cadd's advice here.

I haven't experienced any cheek slap with a standard stock except for when I was using slugs with too high an optic and wasn't getting a good cheek weld. But that wasn't with the 835 and I don't use 3-1/2" shells either.

On the sights, can you bench the gun in any way? Are you focusing on the front sight?

The pattern at 40 yards was great but it was shooting high left. I have adjusted the read site all the way down, and over to the right and it is still high left with both me and my brother in law shooting it. Is there anything besides aiming low right I can do?

Depending on distance and how high the gun patterns the majority of the time (remember, not all shots are going to pattern exactly the same) there are a few alternatives to get the gun to shoot more to your point of aim at the distance you're shooting/zero'ing it.

1. Since you said the rear sight is bottomed out, you could install a taller front sight. This would lower the muzzle some and SHOULD get the pattern lower toward the point of aim. Of course how much, is anyones' guess. This would do nothing with it shooting left.

2. If the receiver is tapped for a scope mount, you could install a red dot even a 1-4x shotgun scope and adjust as needed.

Those are really the main options to choose from. #2 being the better option in my opinion.

I noticed this was your first post. Welcome to the forum. I really like the way that shotgun looks. Especially the wear on the rear of the forearm because it shows that you have actually used it a lot.

That gives you some respect points straight out of the gate.

Thanks for the welcome guys.
CaddmannQ, I will pull it apart and inspect the tube again. If I get a new spring I plan on replacing the follower with a high viz orange follower.
Rossignol I have been reading all of your excellent choke research. Thank you for taking the time to do that and share your findings. I went with the Carlson's LBXR going off your research and figured if I didn't like the results with the 6's (I believe you tried 5's through it) I would do exactly what you did and trade it for the .675. It threw a pretty dense pattern at 40 but being high left I couldn't get a good pellet count.
The Specter sling you have, is it universal fit or one meant for a 500? I noticed they come with a front attachment that doesn't look like it would work with our magazine cap.
John A. Thank you. I have spent a lot of time carrying, shooting, or practicing handling that gun. I feel like I have started over with the new rear stock. As far as a scope goes, I have tossed the idea around before. However, I've had enough go wrong in the turkey woods. I don't want to add relying on a scope to the mix. I'm hoping once I get this stock fine tuned, I can zero in my aim issue.

Side note, look what I finally got to pick up today. My bird from last year! After 11 years of learning some hard lessons, I finally got my Great White Whale.
IMG_4876.JPG

Did the high left begin after changing ammo, choke tube, or stock? Or has it always done that?

On the sling, mine came with a narrow-er short adapter to work with a standard sling swivel. I don't know that Specter Gear includes the actual hardware but the sling its self is essentially the same but with different adapters. The one I'm using is actually listed as being for a standard stock 590. At the magazine though I'm using a CDM Gear clamp, I think it's the MTR or MTC. I can look that up to be certain.

That's a great looking mount!!!

It has always shot a little high. This high left started after the stock, ammo, and choke were all changed. I should use better scientific method and only change one variable at a time but I don't have easy access to a place to shoot.

Once I get my recoil pad for my cheek rest and get that part taken care of I will put some more rounds through it to see if I can't chase the problem down.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Justin !!

Enjoy our community...

I really like the turkey mount. It's well done.

Doesn't look like the white whale is as elusive as before ;)

I'm proud to say that I have gotten a few turkeys over the years. But in my area, as wonderful as it is for turkeys and wildlife in general, I feel that I must give out a shameless plug to the NWTF because they've been instrumental in helping to achieve the kind of numbers that we have now.

I have been in the outdoors most of my life. And until I was probably a junior in high school, had never even seen a flock of wild turkeys locally.

But with healthy conservation, and a lot of work on our part, I can say that I have seen as many as 11 in the same flock on our property during "good" years.

trailcam%20532015%20152_zpsboiiwwnz.jpg

trailcam1172014004_zpsc3ec4563.jpg

trailcam4282013011_zps3852534f.jpg

Welcome from Mi!!

I would put the orig choke back in and try it. Nothing else you replaced "should" cause the gun to be off unless you are now sighting slightly differently than before.

I would keep the stock on and pattern it with the tube and ammo you were using prior to making changes. Just change one variable at a time until you find what has changed.

Thanks guys. I will certainly do some back tracking to figure out my problem. I hope I can shoot again before season opens. Gotta get that Honey-do list knocked down.

John A. the turkey population in Arkansas wouldn't be what it is today without the work of NWTF. They are a great organization for sure!

Finally got my stock situation figured out and was able to get out and pattern my gun yesterday. It is dead on at 40. I have attached a picture of my target. I had to free hand it so my circle only has a 9.5" diameter at some points but I counted 229 pellets. The small x was my point of aim so I was 6 o'clock hold on the dot. Most of my pattern was in the bottom half of the target. I am extremely happy. Time to get my Wolff spring, new follower and 3 point sling system!

IMG_4908.JPG

That looks great.

That pattern is meat on the table every day of the week and twice on sunday.

The amount of pellets in the size of a paper plate at 40 yards is exceptional. Well done indeed

Thanks for the welcome guys.
CaddmannQ, I will pull it apart and inspect the tube again. If I get a new spring I plan on replacing the follower with a high viz orange follower.
Rossignol I have been reading all of your excellent choke research. Thank you for taking the time to do that and share your findings. I went with the Carlson's LBXR going off your research and figured if I didn't like the results with the 6's (I believe you tried 5's through it) I would do exactly what you did and trade it for the .675. It threw a pretty dense pattern at 40 but being high left I couldn't get a good pellet count.
The Specter sling you have, is it universal fit or one meant for a 500? I noticed they come with a front attachment that doesn't look like it would work with our magazine cap.
John A. Thank you. I have spent a lot of time carrying, shooting, or practicing handling that gun. I feel like I have started over with the new rear stock. As far as a scope goes, I have tossed the idea around before. However, I've had enough go wrong in the turkey woods. I don't want to add relying on a scope to the mix. I'm hoping once I get this stock fine tuned, I can zero in my aim issue.

Side note, look what I finally got to pick up today. My bird from last year! After 11 years of learning some hard lessons, I finally got my Great White Whale.
View attachment 14473

Congrats man

Back