• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New guy with a Patriot question

tcoz

Copper BB
As you can see, this is my first post. I'm a long time pistol and rifle guy and I handload every caliber that I shoot but I've never owned a Mossberg and therein lies the reason for this post.

I'm having a custom Scout Rifle built and the smith uses the Patriot as the platform for the build. For those of you familiar with the Scout concept, I have to admit that due to some pretty severe physical limitations I won't be using it in the traditional Scout manner but will instead mount a conventional scope in the conventional position and will shoot it at the range for accuracy and on steel targets at 50-200 yards both off the bench and offhand.

For this reason, I'm going to handload (.308) for accuracy and want to seat my bullet very close to, but not touching, the lands. In my other rifles, I'm anywhere from .005 to .050 from the lands but this is where I'm asking for some help. My question is whether the chamber of the Patriot will allow a typical .308 target bullet (eg 155gr SMK) to reach the lands at max length the mag will allow. I'm thinking that it will but there are rifles that have chambers so long that it isn't possible to reach the lands anyway. Knowing ahead of time if this is the case would speed up my load development process.

If anyone loads the Patriot in this way, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how far off the lands you found the best accuracy and what your cartridge ogive to base length is. If you don't know the ogive to base length, the COAL and specific bullet that it's for would be ok too.

I want to thank you in advance for any help you can provide and if anybody is interested I've posted the link to the rifle I'm having built.

http://granitemountaintactical.com/?page_id=301

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

As far as your question...I will defer to the Patriot experts here.

As you can see, this is my first post. I'm a long time pistol and rifle guy and I handload every caliber that I shoot but I've never owned a Mossberg and therein lies the reason for this post.

I'm having a custom Scout Rifle built and the smith uses the Patriot as the platform for the build. For those of you familiar with the Scout concept, I have to admit that due to some pretty severe physical limitations I won't be using it in the traditional Scout manner but will instead mount a conventional scope in the conventional position and will shoot it at the range for accuracy and on steel targets at 50-200 yards both off the bench and offhand.

For this reason, I'm going to handload (.308) for accuracy and want to seat my bullet very close to, but not touching, the lands. In my other rifles, I'm anywhere from .005 to .050 from the lands but this is where I'm asking for some help. My question is whether the chamber of the Patriot will allow a typical .308 target bullet (eg 155gr SMK) to reach the lands at max length the mag will allow. I'm thinking that it will but there are rifles that have chambers so long that it isn't possible to reach the lands anyway. Knowing ahead of time if this is the case would speed up my load development process.

If anyone loads the Patriot in this way, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how far off the lands you found the best accuracy and what your cartridge ogive to base length is. If you don't know the ogive to base length, the COAL and specific bullet that it's for would be ok too.

I want to thank you in advance for any help you can provide and if anybody is interested I've posted the link to the rifle I'm having built.

http://granitemountaintactical.com/?page_id=301

I have been doing some load development for my new patriot 308. You are correct the chamber is very long compared to my savage. That maximum length I'm loading is 2.850 that's the max that will fit in the magazine. This is my new deer rifle so I want to make sure they will fit on the magazine. The best 5 round group I've had so far is about 1.5 moa. The load was 168gr. Barnes tsx and 43.5gr. Varget

I would like to be able to offer help and advice, but the only thing I can think of at the time, is using cerrosafe. That would be as definitive as possible and remove all guesswork out of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182157881013

Back