• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Guy With New Mav 88

Hi, Gang. Since I recently bought a new 88 I thought I'd better join up to share and learn more from the experts. I bought a Youth Model 88 20 gauge with a 22" barrel just before Irma checked in here. It came with a modified choke, but I've installed a skeet choke to open the pattern a bit. This weapon is primarily for Wifey but also for home defense, using #3 buckshot. Who knows, I may even try my hand at skeet or trap, and have #7 1/2 shot for that. I'll be taking her to a local indoor range for familiarization training, hopefully this week. Range report to follow. Overall thoughts?

BTW, I tried to upload a pic, but got an error message that it was too big. I'll do a bit of massaging and try to post it soon.

Thanx!

-Ed-

Im sure you'll have alot of fun with it. Im kinda partial to a 20gauge and am finding the 22" barrel to be a sweet spot for shotgun. Look forward to your report.

Congrats! I have two Mav 88s in 12 guage, bought my GF a Mossberg 500 youth 20 ga with the 22" barrel- but only because she shoots left-handed and needed the thumb safety. She'll be throwing buckshot at deer with it this season in Alabama if she gets a chance.

I have never had a problem with my Mavericks- I did have to order the stock shim set from Mossberg to drop the comb 1/4", which made it a lot more comfortable to shoot. Also cut 3/4" from the stock- the factory LOP did not suit me. I've not hunted with them a lot, and seldom hunt deer with a shotgun, but they've gotten a deer apiece.

Welcome!!

You will no doubt be well pleased with your 88. Excellent choice.

Mav - 1.jpg
Thanx, everyone, for the feedback. As promised, here's the proof. I managed to massage the pic to get it to load here on the forum. Just simple and plain Jane like you've all seen many times. I've never owned a shotgun until now, but used to carry a competitor's brand when I worked part-time for Brinks a few years back. It was a 12 gauge with 18 1/2" barrel and was loaded with 00 buckshot. I really enjoyed shooting it during qualification.

Anyways, I'd been wanting to buy my own for some time now, both for recreational purposes and home defense. When Hurricane Irma loomed I convinced Wifey that now was the time to add a bit of extra "looter insurance" to the household since we did not evacuate. Lo and behold I found this little gem on-line for a price I couldn't refuse. She's been stripped down and thoroughly cleaned. Next up: Wifey and me at the indoor range. Stand by, Gang!

-Ed-

Love your avatar.

As a senior NCO I always liked officers that were just getting into field grade status.

Love your avatar.

As a senior NCO I always liked officers that were just getting into field grade status.

Thanx, Nitesite. I've not had that compliment before. I did get a few cracks back then from colonels who told me the gold leaf symbolized "training wheels" like a 2nd LT gold bar. :confused:

Hi, Gang. Since I recently bought a new 88 I thought I'd better join up to share and learn more from the experts. I bought a Youth Model 88 20 gauge with a 22" barrel just before Irma checked in here. It came with a modified choke, but I've installed a skeet choke to open the pattern a bit. This weapon is primarily for Wifey but also for home defense, using #3 buckshot. Who knows, I may even try my hand at skeet or trap, and have #7 1/2 shot for that. I'll be taking her to a local indoor range for familiarization training, hopefully this week. Range report to follow. Overall thoughts?

BTW, I tried to upload a pic, but got an error message that it was too big. I'll do a bit of massaging and try to post it soon.

Thanx!

-Ed-
Congratulations, the youth model is a very handy gun. I went crazy with mine, 18.5 inch barrel, hogue 12" LOP buttstock and mossberg 20 gauge slide action assembly and forend. So yes, technically I bought 2 guns....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi again, Gang. As promised, here is a quick range report. Yesterday I went to the new local indoor range for the first time. Very nice, indeed. Sadly, Wifey couldn't go because the carpal tunnel in both hands was acting up again. They would let me shoot only slugs and buckshot, not the 7 1/2 shot I had with me. So, I shot 10 slug rounds and 10 #3 buckshot. Anyways, here's a few pix:

Target 1.jpg

10 slug rounds, 3 at 5 yards and 7 at 10 rounds.

target 3.jpg

1 round #3 buckshot at 10 yards.

Target 2.jpg

3 rounds #3 at 5 yards from the hip.

I'm very pleased with the new Mav 88 and recommend it to anyone. It functioned flawlessly all 20 rounds. I told the young man shooting next to me that I felt really guilty shooting my wife's new shotgun before her. He said "Well, somebody's gotta shoot it!", and I felt better after that. When I went to pay for my time I was also pleasantly surprised to find that they charge only $9.95/hr for seniors weekdays 12:00-5:00 PM. All in all it was an exhilarating, brief rush. Thanx, everyone, for enjoying this as much as I did! :thanks:

Attachments

• Target 1.jpg
    Target 1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 5
  • target 3.jpg
    target 3.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Target 2.jpg
    Target 2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 4
Thanx, Meanstreak. The regular price is $16.95/hr here at the Shoot Center in Cape Coral FL. Other local ranges are somewhat higher. As regards shotguns, they only allow buckshot and slugs. No game loads. The Florida Wildlife Commission operates a public range just north of here in Punta Gorda, but they only allow skeet/trap loads, no buckshot. Slugs can only be shot on the 100 meter rile range. Thanx for the "Nice shooting" compliment. Surely you've heard of "beginner's luck". Truth to tell, the weapon shoots right where I point it. Very pleased.

Hi Major Dad, I too am a recently new owner of a Maverick 88. I got the 12 ga. 28" Modified barrel and later I bought all the proper screw in chokes for the barrel. Then I decided I wanted a 24" ported barrel so I got it. Of course my first Mossberg had the adjustable choke so I tried to get a Poly Choke and the company seemed to fold up. I sent my money and never heard from them again. PayPal took care of my refund and they are fighting to get their money back.

I saw a TruGlo titanium adjustable choke online somewhere so I ordered it from Bud's and put that on the 24". I was happy. I did not get it out to pattern it but I did get my limit of squirrels. Next time I went out I decided to look into an even shorter barrel. I like the 20" with that adjustable choke so I put it on the 20" and screwed in a Cylinder choke to replace it in the 24". Now if I want a house gun I have a 20 ga. Daly pump and / or the Maverick with my choice of barrel lengths and chokes.

I doubt I will have to deal with hurricanes and looters here in Iowa but the occasional tornado does pass through the area. I am more worried that a herd of ravenous rabbits will try to invade the carrot drawer in the fridge, so I have the Maverick behind the door loaded with #4 shot.

Enjoy your new Maverick. I sure like mine.

Back