• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NEW HAVEN by MOSSBERG 500 AST 12 GA

Hello...

I'm a new member and just approved today to be able to post new threads on this impressive forum for Mossberg firearms.

Before posting my first thread, I scrolled through all the thread titles on the forum and didn't see any for my shotgun as I titled this thread. I'm trying to learn more details about it such as its history and the meaning of the AST designation.

Its been suggested to be that the S stands for "slug", but I'm really wanting to know for sure. Another suggestion was that it may have been a police shotgun, but it has no law enforcement markings.

The breech end of the tapered barrel is noticeably thicker so it may have been designed to handle higher pressure shells.

The shotgun has a rifle style front sight with a flip down/up rear sight. The 18.5" barrel-to-mag tube connector has a factory installed swivel sling adapter connected by a slotted screw. The capacity is 5+1 2 3/4" shells and it has a cylinder bore. There are double action bars and the original wood stock and fore grip.

I changed out the original 1" sling rings for 1 1/4" ones I made so I could use a Garand sling.

The serial number is H421628 As much as I can tell, it was made in 1980. Can anyone confirm or correct this?

As of now, I don't have any pictures to upload, but I will be taking some soon because I'm planning on listing the shotgun for sale on Gun Broker due to the need for a legal FFL transfer. I don't know if its possible to list it for sale on this forum. I will investigate that after I post this thread. Either way, I plan to post/upload the pictures on the forum if requested by any other members.

I'm looking to get away from 12 GA shotguns and have only 12 and 410's

Any information including an estimate of its retail worth will be greatly appreciated to help me post an informative listing on Gun Broker. It is in very good cosmetic and operating condition.

Thanks to all in advance!

Back