• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Maverick 88 12 ga

hombre243

.30-06
Maverick 88 and Sling Attachment.jpg Maverick 88.jpg Maverick and Cabela Sling.jpg Maverick Butt.jpg Hi all,
I just got it today and it is cleaned and ready to go. But, I hate that 3 shot plug. How do I get rid of it?

Is it just a matter of shakin it out the takedown screw hole?

5 minutes later...uhhhhh...YEP.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new MAV 88!!!! Enjoy.

,,,,,and yes the dowel will come out the screw hole.

Congrats on your new MAV 88!!!! Enjoy.

,,,,,and yes the dowel will come out the screw hole.

I just figured it out.

It is a tight little gun. My first Mossy 500 was a Monkey Wards 20 ga. It had a noisy little single action slide bar so that was a long time ago. It got me hooked on the adjustable choke too, so when I order the 24" barrel I wiill also order a new one from Poly Choke. This gun is a lot tighter. I have a Daly 20 now and it is a tight gun. Must have improved the manufracturing process. It is a hair long so I may take off this butt pad and put on a thinner one.

I got a replacement take down screw/sling stud and it is installed. Now I will install the rear stud and put the sling on and it is ready to hunt.

It is a very good day. I got the gun in 3 days from Bud's. Ordered on Saturday. Picked it up today. I also ordered some ammo...3 boxes of Federal game Shock #4s. I also got a box of 100 Federal gameloads from Walmart. I have a full case of 12 ga. Oh, I ordered 3 boxes from Bud's. I got them yesterday, and when I picked up the gun from my gun guy he said "here is the ammo that came with it." Hmmmm. I got a double load of ammo. 3 free boxes of Federal 12 ga.

As soon as I drill the rear swivel stud hole I will be done for a while.

PS Thanks for the tip. I already shook the dowel out but I asked the question then said..duh, why ask, shake it and see.

Last edited:
I got the email asking which one but it did not post here...so here is the answer for OldMossy: The Black one. :cool:

I got the 12 ga w/ 28" barrel. I will order the 24" next month along with a poly Choke.

Nice. Are you looking for a 24" barrel ? If so,check with @MikeD he had one for sale.;)

The Mossberg adjustable choke is called a C-Lect choke.
I have one on my pheasant gun, I also use it for Sporting Clays.

Most people have no use for them anymore. Try Ebay for a used barrel with a C-Lect on it. I have bought 2 that way and you might save a few bucks.

The Mossberg adjustable choke is called a C-Lect choke.
I have one on my pheasant gun, I also use it for Sporting Clays.

Most people have no use for them anymore. Try Ebay for a used barrel with a C-Lect on it. I have bought 2 that way and you might save a few bucks.

I think I will get the Poly Choke for the barrel I am using and later when I get the 24" I will switch it over. Poly Chokes do not need to be soldered in. C-lects do making them permanent. Poly Chokes can be screwed into the existing threads and there seems to be quite a few chokes that will fit on several brands of guns. I have a Charles Daly pump and it uses Remington chokes. And, Poly chokes are good for 9 settings. C-Lects are 3-4 position chokes.

Finally...I made it out to the woods for a few hours of hunting bushytails. But, as my luck would have it, as I was quietly making my way into a nice hickory grove, I stuck my 2 front feet right under the barb wire that was in the grass unseen, and fell face first in some really harsh twigs and stickers. My sling bag went one way and my gun went the other. Luckily it was unloaded, and landed on the butt, but the bag had a lot of stuff in it and I had a hell of a time getting it all picked up. I hurt my leg, my back and my pride. First time out since the 2015 opener and I can't even get it right once.

I did get one shot but it was a hail mary. The aches and pains made it hard to move so eventually I just packed up and went home.

Where I hunted is about a 5-6 minute walk from the parking area. But I ma afraid those days for me are over. It took me at least a half hour just to get to where I fell, but there were 3 5 minute sitdown breaks in that time. It was worse coming back. I almost called for help but eventually I made it to the car.

Oh, the gun shoots great. I shoot lousy but the gun is a dream. I know I will like it. The one shot I took was easy on the shoulder with that soft pad on the butt, and shucking in another shell was smooth and fast. It's a keeper, and I know it is a Mossberg just by the way it feels. I am glad you guys talked me into it.
h

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope you are ok.

Glad to hear you like your new Mav 88. Congrats.

I think I will get the Poly Choke for the barrel I am using and later when I get the 24" I will switch it over. Poly Chokes do not need to be soldered in. C-lects do making them permanent. Poly Chokes can be screwed into the existing threads and there seems to be quite a few chokes that will fit on several brands of guns. I have a Charles Daly pump and it uses Remington chokes. And, Poly chokes are good for 9 settings. C-Lects are 3-4 position chokes.
The ones that I buy are already permanently mounted with the C-Lect.
Paid $39 for the one on my hunting gun. Paid $60 for the second one but sold it for $70 a year later.

Good luck with whatever route you choose. Next time reroute your travels over the barbed wire.
Hope you feel better soon!

Edit:
Forgot about the 3 or 4 setting comment.
C-Lect chokes don't have locked in settings, you can set them anywhere you want between any of the written on setting lines.
You can tweek them to any where you like.

The ones that I buy are already permanently mounted with the C-Lect.
Paid $39 for the one on my hunting gun. Paid $60 for the second one but sold it for $70 a year later.

Good luck with whatever route you choose. Next time reroute your travels over the barbed wire.
Hope you feel better soon!

Edit:
Forgot about the 3 or 4 setting comment.
C-Lect chokes don't have locked in settings, you can set them anywhere you want between any of the written on setting lines.
You can tweek them to any where you like.

I like having the options while I am in the field. Just my choice.

I knew there were parts of the fence already cut out; this wire was partially buried in the mud and one strand was about 2" off the mud in grass. just didn't see it. I will take my clippers next time.

I will be back out there probably Wednesday or Thursday...after a trip to the Chiro. I am determined to not let a few aches and pains keep me home any longer. I started getting bad last October after I had to give up my CDL, and go on insulin. No one wants to hire me so I will just go huntin and fishin.

Love my 88. Shoot it as often as I can. Action just keeps getting smoother with every trip to the range. Only issues I've ever had were 2 rounds of the Winchester Walmart bulk pack. The brass expanded and jammed up the gun. Switched to anything but that stuff and she has been flawless ever since.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using Tapatalk

Love my 88. Shoot it as often as I can. Action just keeps getting smoother with every trip to the range. Only issues I've ever had were 2 rounds of the Winchester Walmart bulk pack. The brass expanded and jammed up the gun. Switched to anything but that stuff and she has been flawless ever since.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using Tapatalk

I got out to hunt the other day but didn't get to shoot it much...1 shot. But I already liked the gun. It's a Mossberg...what's not to like? I will get another chance this week. I have muzzleloader deer coming up Saturday so I need to scout one more time. And even if I don't get to shoot it...loading and unloading sure is fun.

So even these modern guns are wanting high-brass hulls?

I was getting a little sticking with low-brass in my old double barrel, but it doesn't eject them really. More of an extractor, & then you have to pull them out.

I was getting a little sticking with low-brass in my old double barrel, but it doesn't eject them really. More of an extractor, & then you have to pull them out.

I had a Model 311 Stevens/Savage? for my first shotgun. 30" barrels, 12 ga, double triggers and extractors. Because the extractors were cammed out of the chamber nothing ever stuck.

It could be the material the "brass" is made of. I have seen steel and aluminum. In fact much of the brass on a shotgun shells is just brass plated steel. And high brass is a marketing gimmick to keep the Hi Brow/Hi Brass crowd happy. Most shotgun shells these days, most...not all...are one piece plastic with some metal at the base to please the masses. What ya shooting?

I just got the new Maverick 12 ga/28" and so far all I have shot is low brass. No problems so far.

I think you will find it is not Hi or Lo brass causing the issue.
Winchester garbage bulk shells is usually the culprit.
I must say though the extractors on my old SxS JC Higgins 311 copy, have not failed me yet on any shells.
Since I shoot skeet mostly with it, I will feed it anything cheap :)

They do extract the shells, but some require effort while most do not.

Off hand, I was shooting 16ga Fiocchi, Federal, Winchester, & Remington, but I don't recall if it was the Winchesters which stuck.
My Ranger is pre-311, & made for Sears by Savage-Stevens, built just before WW-II as far as I can tell.

They do extract the shells, but some require effort while most do not.

Off hand, I was shooting 16ga Fiocchi, Federal, Winchester, & Remington, but I don't recall if it was the Winchesters which stuck.
My Ranger is pre-311, & made for Sears by Savage-Stevens, built just before WW-II as far as I can tell.

I may look for a double. I liked that gun but it kicked harder than grampa's mule. And the double triggers raised a bump on my California Howdy finger every time I used the front trigger. But I did not miss very much when I shot it. In fact, I shot down trees, billboards and fence posts. Very little game. But I was 16. I was just learning how expensive that stuff is.:D

Back