• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Maverick 88 12 ga

So even these modern guns are wanting high-brass hulls?

I was getting a little sticking with low-brass in my old double barrel, but it doesn't eject them really. More of an extractor, & then you have to pull them out.
Didn't say that. The Winchester stuff was brass. It just was really poor quality. The 300-400 rounds I have shot since have been from other brands. Low Brass. High Brass. Steel. It all runs. Granted, I have never ran another Winchester through mine though.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using Tapatalk

I knew there were parts of the fence already cut out; this wire was partially buried in the mud and one strand was about 2" off the mud in grass. just didn't see it.

Sounds to me like the wildlife is setting booby-traps! ;) Just watch out for Punji Sticks! :eek:

Good to see you getting your therapy! (hunting :))

Sounds to me like the wildlife is setting booby-traps! ;) Just watch out for Punji Sticks! :eek:

Good to see you getting your therapy! (hunting :))

Wascally Wabbits are just gettin too smart. And squirrels are usin hang gliders with jet engines. I may have to crank up the drone.:D

Love my 88. Shoot it as often as I can. Action just keeps getting smoother with every trip to the range. Only issues I've ever had were 2 rounds of the Winchester Walmart bulk pack. The brass expanded and jammed up the gun. Switched to anything but that stuff and she has been flawless ever since.

Was that bad Winchester bulk pack labeled Universal? I almost got some of that but they were out of #6 shot.

I want to post this so if anyone has to replace a Take Down Screw on their 500 or Maverick 88 and do so with the Uncle Mike's 1810-2 Replacement kit, there is one thing that is not explained and it took me a bit to figure it out.

The instructions that come with the kit pertaining to replacement of the lock washer that comes with the kit (it is an internal toothed lock washer, illustrated below) are poor and do not explain how to secure the washer. If you just thread the lock washer on to the screw it will fall off or jam every time you take the barrel off. So, after magnifying the picture in the instructions I see how the lock washer has to be installed to stay securely on the take down screw. Also not clear is just how the little steel tube/spanner will engage the inside areas of the teeth when you use it to remove the lock washer when you begin this small chore. it took me some time to see how this works. (some of you may be much more mechanically inclined and will get this immediately, but my stubbornness matches your expertise and I will get it too, but it will just take me a little longer.) I had to work with this because I could not get the Take Down Bolt to stay in the barrel. Soooo...

Basically, after the lock washer is threaded up as far as it will thread on to the bolt, the spanner slip fits onto the screw and you need a few taps of a hammer to slip the lock washer up on to the larger diameter just under the cap of the screw and inside the barrel lug, and this required the smooth end of the spanner tool. It will not stay in place without this extra bump. The spanner then will engage the teeth just enough to loosen the lock washer and drag it down to the threads.

The directions are not totally helpful, but this part is what is needed for replacement of the unthreaded Take Down Screw that comes with some 500s and 88s.
Possibly other models also.

Internal Tooth Lock Washer.JPG Barrel Takedown Screw.jpg Uncle Mike's 1810-2.JPG

Last edited:
Didn't say that. The Winchester stuff was brass. It just was really poor quality. The 300-400 rounds I have shot since have been from other brands. Low Brass. High Brass. Steel. It all runs. Granted, I have never ran another Winchester through mine though.

I read somewhere that the "brass" on a shotshell is really just a thin brass plating on steel or some other metal. Could that cause sticking? I haven't shot enough shotgun rounds in recent years to experience any problems.

I read somewhere that the "brass" on a shotshell is really just a thin brass plating on steel or some other metal. Could that cause sticking? I haven't shot enough shotgun rounds in recent years to experience any problems.
Never heard that. But as I said, I have shot steel cased practice stuff too with no issues.

Never heard that. But as I said, I have shot steel cased practice stuff too with no issues.

Just did a small search and one thread I scanned through referred to the cheap ammo as being steel but brass washed. That is probably what I read. A cost saving measure that only costs shooters when the problems start. O well, so so good with my guns. Excess oils which collect dust and grit or just dirty or rusty chambers are probably more to blame than the base materials of the ammo.

I bought several various boxes of 16ga and 12ga shells from different makers, just to see what I liked best.

I now have 3 different flavors of Winchesters, the most expensive being some green 12ga military grade shells with 00 buck and what appears to be annealed brass.

I haven't shot any of the 12 gauge stuff yet, but the misfires I was having previously with the 16ga shells turned out to be short firing pin with a bad spring.

I bought several various boxes of 16ga and 12ga shells from different makers, just to see what I liked best.

I now have 3 different flavors of Winchesters, the most expensive being some green 12ga military grade shells with 00 buck and what appears to be annealed brass.

I haven't shot any of the 12 gauge stuff yet, but the misfires I was having previously with the 16ga shells turned out to be short firing pin with a bad spring.
Well my brother in law gave me a 25 round box of the Win Super X stuff. So this Friday will take that and my Remington, federal and estate stuff out for a day at the range and see how it runs.

Well my brother in law gave me a 25 round box of the Win Super X stuff. So this Friday will take that and my Remington, federal and estate stuff out for a day at the range and see how it runs.

OK. How did you do with the Winchester fodder?

Went last week but did not shoot much. Did only 50 rounds of 9mm and one box of some cheap Remington bird shot. Just loaded the truck up and am heading out after lunch. Only taking Miss Dixie for some alone time and will get to shoot the super X there. Will get back later tonight to report.

Went last week but did not shoot much. Did only 50 rounds of 9mm and one box of some cheap Remington bird shot. Just loaded the truck up and am heading out after lunch. Only taking Miss Dixie for some alone time and will get to shoot the super X there. Will get back later tonight to report.

Well...be safe, shoot good and have fun.

And we are back. The Remington stuff I ran was perfect. It was some of that 27 Nitro stuff. Liked it a lot. The Winchester Super X... Not so much. It started to stick when attempting extract. Eventually it did the exact same thing as my first complaint about the cheap Winchester stuff. Fires the round and then it sticks in the chamber. Popped right out with a tap from my cleaning rod. It did this 5 times out of the 25 round box. #NeverWinchester
419589b4ad78eddf83ce21ffc5152a4e.jpg
75f3337d55ff6aca50bb022602c49cfd.jpg

And we are back. The Remington stuff I ran was perfect. It was some of that 27 Nitro stuff. Liked it a lot. The Winchester Super X... Not so much. It started to stick when attempting extract. Eventually it did the exact same thing as my first complaint about the cheap Winchester stuff. Fires the round and then it sticks in the chamber. Popped right out with a tap from my cleaning rod. It did this 5 times out of the 25 round box. #NeverWinchester

I just got a box of the Super X small game loads. Low brass, steel or aluminum base. I also have a clay trap coming and I will get some clays tomorrow. I will see what mine will do.

Is the metal discolored on the Super X after it is fired.I was wondering if there is a wax coating that is adhering to the chamber walls. Wax possibly to weatherproof the base so the powder does not get wet. If it is not a plastic one piece hull, it will need some kind of sealer.

Yeah there was some kind of green gunk all love the face of the bolt after just a few rounds. I also noticed the silver coating on the "brass/steel/aluminum" was cracked off where the extractor had apparently let go on the all of the rounds that got stuck. Lower part of rim in the picture.
82e49fa1a06f67faef15cb27bcca3e2d.jpg

Yeah there was some kind of green gunk all love the face of the bolt after just a few rounds. I also noticed the silver coating on the "brass/steel/aluminum" was cracked off where the extractor had apparently let go on the all of the rounds that got stuck. Lower part of rim in the picture.

I see the mark. Can you scratch the stuff with a thumbnail? How about scratching off more of the chipped area. It could be coated with an aluminum wash, just like plated bullets, only thinner.

Win SX 12 ga3.JPG

I see the mark. Can you scratch the stuff with a thumbnail? How about scratching off more of the chipped area. It could be coated with an aluminum wash, just like plated bullets, only thinner.

View attachment 13652
That's the spot. And I don't know about scratching it. I did not save any of it. I trashed it all, it ran that poorly. I wanted to like it. I thought surely for $12-15 a box it would be decent but it was not, for my gun. It might run great in yours, and I hope it does, but I will not buy any Winchester 12 gauge ammo again.

Back