• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Maverick 88 12ga owner

CAF

Copper BB
Hey all.
Just purchased my first shotgun for mainly home defense purposes. I'm just kind of looking for suggestions on the upgrades that make the most sense. I know that I can dump lots of $ into it if I wanted to.. I know that forend has to go and I've been looking at the ATI for a stock..

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your new Mav 88.

Reactions: CAF
Welcome to Mossberg Owners!

If it's something you may need in the dark, I like having a tritium bead sight. Maybe a light mount and light for target identification. That's pretty much it.

I like the Meprolight for the tritium bead but there are a few others out there so you can comparison shop.

My preference for light mounts will always be for CDM Gear. Streamlight, Elzetta, Coast Products, Inforce, Surefire for lights. Do lots of comparison shopping here too.

If you haven't shot it yet, go shoot it before deciding you need to change the stock and forend. If you absolutely must change the furniture, I highly highly highly recommend Hogue.

You really don't need to spend tons of money to make it legit for home/personal, it already is. Again, shoot it first if you haven't already, spend money on ammunition before gadgets. Add the stuff that adds to the versatility of the gun, things that compliment and emphasize its usefulness. At some point, the things you add start taking away from the usefulness and hinder performance.

If you want to tactical it up, then go for. At the end of the day it's your dog and you're the only who's feeding it. You can turn it into a beast of a gun with a Mesa Tactical stock adapter and AR styled hydraulic buffer tube with a Magpul stock, full length rail and flip up back up sights and holo sight or red dot, receiver mounted shotshell holder, railed forend and vertical forward grip, single point sling... It's gonna look sweet but none of it is a surrogate for practice and none of it is necessary to make it a solid HD/SD firearm.

My opinion, the tritium sight and a light. That's it.

Reactions: CAF
Welcome to Mossberg Owners!

If it's something you may need in the dark, I like having a tritium bead sight. Maybe a light mount and light for target identification. That's pretty much it.

I like the Meprolight for the tritium bead but there are a few others out there so you can comparison shop.

My preference for light mounts will always be for CDM Gear. Streamlight, Elzetta, Coast Products, Inforce, Surefire for lights. Do lots of comparison shopping here too.

If you haven't shot it yet, go shoot it before deciding you need to change the stock and forend. If you absolutely must change the furniture, I highly highly highly recommend Hogue.

You really don't need to spend tons of money to make it legit for home/personal, it already is. Again, shoot it first if you haven't already, spend money on ammunition before gadgets. Add the stuff that adds to the versatility of the gun, things that compliment and emphasize its usefulness. At some point, the things you add start taking away from the usefulness and hinder performance.

If you want to tactical it up, then go for. At the end of the day it's your dog and you're the only who's feeding it. You can turn it into a beast of a gun with a Mesa Tactical stock adapter and AR styled hydraulic buffer tube with a Magpul stock, full length rail and flip up back up sights and holo sight or red dot, receiver mounted shotshell holder, railed forend and vertical forward grip, single point sling... It's gonna look sweet but none of it is a surrogate for practice and none of it is necessary to make it a solid HD/SD firearm.

My opinion, the tritium sight and a light. That's it.
Thank you very much for the recommendations Rossignol! I will look into the sights first and the light and plan a trip to the range to check it out before I get too crazy. I appreciate your time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are welcome, but mine is only one opinion.

I did think of a couple other things. I don't know if your forend is pinned or if it uses an action slide tube. If it's pinned and you ever want to change forends, you'll need an action slide tube. Additionally, a light mount isn't absolutely necessary. It's possible to use a light in your support hand. A light mount helps though. It also goes a long way in preventing your children from stealing the light to candle eggs. I don't know where my light is. Additionally additionally, a tritium night sight isn't absolutely necessary either. However, from experience, a light alone on target doesn't mean you can see your bead on target.

Just some passing thoughts.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

Back