• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Member in MA

Miles2014

Copper BB
Hi All,

New member here in The People's Republic of MA. i Recently bought a new Maverick 88. I haven't shot it yet and I'm sure this topic has probably been covered before, but is there any major discernable differences between the Maverick 88 and the Mossberg 500 as they relate to...quality, material, functionality? Just trying to figure out the price differential.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your new Mav88.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

Welcome from MI!!!

Howdy from the neighboring Konnecticutstan! Welcome to the club....

Welcome aboard!

The Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500 are virtually identical with the exception of the safety mechanism. The Mav 88 has a cross-bar safety in the trigger housing vs. the tang mounted safety on the 500. Materials and quality are indistinguishable between the two models.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so we're lookin forward to pics of your Mav 88. Take a look around and feel free to post up pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

Welcome to the forum Miles.

I have a 500 and I definitely like the 500 safety better.

In fact, I believe that Tang safety is the thing that makes a Mossberg a Mossberg almost more than anything else.

The Maverick is for people who really wanted a Remington. ;)

Back