• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NEW!!!! Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action Rifle MVP Varmint Predator

Re: NEW!!!! Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action Rifle MVP Varmint Preda

I'm certain sights could be added much like on a shotgun, it may require soldering and refinishing. Those particular LPA sights are about $150, maybe a little less.

The hog hunter may indeed be a 2" gun and yes runs about $500 retail.

I too like the stock on the MVP.

I found the MVP Predator for $450+/- in a LGS. I asked if the barrel could be cut for dovetail sights. Salesman was more a Pistol guy (my original reason for stopping in) and wasn't sure.

Our concern was the Fluting. I don't necessarily need LPA sights, but adjustable rifle sights would be nice to add on the MVP (any model) for back up. I am sure that some simple, working, iron sights are available with Dovetail style mounts for a good price!

EDIT: Like this----

Rear:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/323720 ... steel-blue

Front:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/973391 ... -gold-bead

Just my two cents on the conversation,

If budget is a concern, I'd steer clear of any DBM kit that uses AICS mags. In .308 they run $65 for the 5 rounders and $84 for the 10 round mags and their "cheap" plastic .223 mags are still $40 a piece...

Yeah I know they are expensive! I was just saying "IF I had the money, Huge IF" lol
But it is the only option to make the Hog Hunter more Scout Like. No matter which model you go with, to make it more of a scout model firearm you are going to spend some cash. With the Hog Hunter you are almost better off going with the Ruger Gunsite Scout. You could stay within a Budget wit the MVP however... not a small one but some sort of budget

There are I think plenty of reasons to like the MVP, and I do really want one.

Its among OFMs more expensive rifles, but has some pretty decent features, not the least of which for me would be the 5.56 chambering. I think a good variable power scope would make it a heck of a rifle!

I was just talkin to my oldest daughter a little bit ago about which shed rather have, a bolt gun that uses the same ammo and magazines to keep things simple or a bolt gun in a larger caliber?

She said larger caliber... I dunno yet, I'm not that close to gettin another gun anyway but I think the deal breaker for her is iron sights.

Yeah the Iron sights are a bummer on this deal! haha... I was thinking to make it more of a scout rifle, to use a 1.5x-4x scope. Too me a Scout Rifle is sort of for a Combat Mid-Range Counter Sniper.. if that makes any sense :p haha

I believe if you were putting the money into it, get it milled for Dove Tail sights and fit some sights that are adjustable for height and wind-age on the rear. There are options but they just blow out the "Budget" worthiness :/

There are applications for both calibers in discussion, .223/5.56 and .308. Just have to decide what the rifle would be used for when called upon. If reaching out beyond 400yds +/- I'd have to grab a .308. My immediate surroundings is a small town with many rural communities so I wouldn't need something quite as powerful. I could make good use of the .223/5.56 in my area and the .308 would honestly be "overkill" if there is such a thing :D haha

I think Dan should contact XS Sights and see what they have in store :p They did an AMAZING job on their Marlin Lever Gun mount! I sent them an email but to no avail

Back