• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Mossberg 930 Field/Security Combo

Sarge

.22LR
My Mossberg 930 Field/Security Combo arrived today. It is of course a 12 gauge. This combo comes with a ported, 28" Vent Rib with a Fiber Optic sight and an 18.5" barrel with a plain brass bead. Stock pitch spacers, three choke tubes, a wrench for same and an orange chamber flag complete this very utilitarian package. 'Utilitarian' was exactly what I was looking for. This particular specimen came outfitted with a knurled, oversize bolt handle. I'm so tactical, I flatulate ninjy stars.

2016-01-015_zps6snbowua.jpg

The synthetic stock came equipped with the OEM Mossberg stock burr, guaranteed to draw blood if you don't clean it up. My old Case XX Stockman made short work of it.

2016-01-017_zps0gkwszoe.jpg

If you believe the internet, Winchester's Universal field load is Kryptonite to the Mossberg 930. I had a couple of boxes on hand so that's what I fed this shotgun. I didn't do the 'pre-clean' we always hear about; I just crammed the shotgun full of Universal and commenced firing. I ran about 30 rounds of it through each barrel, firing deliberately as fast as I could engage targets and occasionally, emptying a full load from the hip as fast as I could pull the trigger. There were no failures of any kind. I also ran ten rounds of Winchester 2 3/4” full power 00 buck and five of the same company's slugs through each barrel, again with no failures.

While the field barrel is perfectly regulated, my short barrel prints slugs about 8” high and 4” left at 25 yards. 100-odd rounds of mixed ammo don't prove much; but so far I can find no other fault with this shotgun.

Last edited:
Congrats and good to hear, I picked up the same thing earlier this week, haven't had a chance to fire it yet though.

Welcome from MI!!

Nice 930!!

Welcome and congrats!

Those field/security combos have a much better track record for reliability than some other models. Looks like you have a winner...

Figured I better give you guys a 'three year update'.

Photobucket and I have parted company. Photos are now at http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-mossberg-930-fieldsecurity-combo/

By my calculation this shotgun has about 900 trouble-free shells through it, the lion's share of those being Winchester Universals. If you put a few drops of oil on the gas piston once in awhile, they will run until you're sick of shooting them. I've had a couple of nice old school Remington gas autos and none of them were remotely this reliable.

I let my wife shoot this shotgun and she stomped clays and fell in love with it. But the stock was too long for her, so I read everything I could find on the subject of shortening it. I was eventually able to take almost 7/8 inch overall, which made it perfect for her. I can still shoot it with the short barrel but with the sporting barrel, my big ol' thumb knuckle and nose get together about every 3rd shot.

No biggie. I've got a 22" JM Pro coming later this week ;) Range report to follow.

It looks good Sarge and that`s a nice personal page you have there!

FYI: https://imgur.com/ is a free and easy photo host....
FYI: https://gunstreamer.com/ is a 2nd Amendment friendly video host...

You can always load photos directly from your PC by clicking on the image just above the message box between the smiles and media button....

Back